SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Whether or not to report a vehicle accident to your insurance?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whether or not to report a vehicle accident to your insurance? Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
So if involved in a single vehicle accident which totaled a vehicle with no injuries is there any reason to involve your insurance or just cancel the policy and move on?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19244 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Well you could receive a check for the totalled value of the vehicle to apply to a new purchase to replace it.

Posts: 23585 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Sorry, liability only on this rig.

posted Hide Post
What was that cause of the accident? How much is the car worth? There's no legal requirement to notify your insurance company of an accident but if you've been paying a premium for x number of years you might want to recoup some of your money

Posts: 1631 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Might as well collect if you can. The Insurance company will find out anyway.
Dealers, repair shops, etc. sell such information, so it is readily available to them.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16536 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
No, you don't have to report it.
Since you carry liability coverage only I would sell what's left of it to the scrap yards and just move on. Reporting an accident, even when the company pays nothing, is considered an 'incident' and can be used to raise your rates.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24177 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No reason to tell them. without full coverage and if there is no other vehicle at fault involved, there is no need for them to know.

Posts: 426 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Only if you have medical PI coverage for anything that might happen post accident that you'd need coverage for the medical care, other than that, no, you don't have to report accidents to them especially if you're not claiming anything.

Now if you think the property owner might have a claim back against the vehicles owner for damages to the property it might be different.

Posts: 23585 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
No reason to report it if there's no other party involved.

I did that back in college. Slid off the road into a ditch and did ~$4k damage to a car worth ~$2.5k. Once I got the repair estimate and confirmed it wasn't worth fixing, I sold it to a junkyard for $1400, bought a new car, and swapped my insurance coverage to the new car. I didn't need to tell my insurance what happened to the old car, just that it no longer needed to be on the policy.

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Great, thanks guys for the info and advice. Really appreciate it.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Well you could receive a check for the totalled value of the vehicle to apply to a new purchase to replace it.

Which is why you buy comprehensive coverage, so why wouldn't anyone do this?

I fail to understand why people buy insurance and then decide not to use it. If you won't make the claim, then just buy the liability coverage. If the car is so low value as to not be worth insuring, then don't insure it. I have done that.

Baffling.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe I’m reading this wrong but he doesn’t have comprehensive. He carries liability only so there won’t be a payment.

Maybe I read it wrong, anvil head and all. Lol

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
I only have liability on a 17yr old Jeep Liberty. Can't imagine the Jeep is worth more than 3-4 thousand. Worth more than that to me but sentimental feelings don't add to value LOL.

Were I in the same situation as the OP (just liability and one vehicle accident), no way I'd tell the insurance company anything at all. Only if I were actually liable for something and needed to cover my butt would the insurance company know anything about it.

Now if there was a police report filed following the accident, the insurance company may find out about it anyway, sooner or later. Or if you switch to a different insurance company within 5yrs or so, maybe the accident on the police report and/or your driver's license, might make a difference.

Regardless, with only liability coverage and no reason to file a claim resulting from the accident, I wouldn't tell the insurance company anything. Wouldn't lie to them either if they somehow found out about it down the road. I'd just tell them I saw no reason to report the accident to them since I didn't intend on filing any claims.

EDIT: Whether or not there are any stipulations in the policy to report all accidents is a whole 'nother thing I guess.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Which is why you buy comprehensive coverage, so why wouldn't anyone do this?

I fail to understand why people buy insurance and then decide not to use it. If you won't make the claim, then just buy the liability coverage. If the car is so low value as to not be worth insuring, then don't insure it. I have done that.

Baffling.

^^^^^^^^
I agree. Sounds like the insurance company has a good thing going.

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Why have comprehensive and collision on a vehicle that may only be worth 3-4 thousand and the deductible may be up to $1000 to keep premiums down? And speaking of premiums, it would only take a couple of years to pay premiums equal to or greater than the value of the vehicle, if carrying full coverage. At some point in the age of a vehicle it just makes sense to only carry liability.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is my story.

I had a nearly new Mazda pickup, still had a loan balance so it had comprehensive coverage.

A stone flew off a dump truck and put a divot in my windshield. I called Progressive insurance to ask if the comprehensive policy would cover the cost of a new windshield. They said yes but since I had a $500 deductible, and the windshield only cost $460 to replace, I wouldn't be getting a check.

Fine.

When I told the auto glass company that the insurance company would not be involved, the cost of the new windshield dropped from $460 to $250.

When the policy came up for renewal in six months, the cost of comprehensive coverage went up 35%. On all my cars. I called Progressive to ask them why, and they said it was because I had filed a claim. I thought I had just asked a question. The increase would remain in place for three years.

So I went to State Farm and got a quote from them. It cost about the same as Progressive, because they knew I had filed a "claim" with Progressive.

I paid off the truck, and cancelled the collision coverage.

Never file a claim with your auto or homeowners insurance. By even talking to them you are filing a claim.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If theres no 1st party coverage on the vehicle, dont file a claim. No reason for them to know.

Everyone should have Comprehensive (can be called: other than collision) on their vehicles. Its a silly cheap coverage compared to Collision and protects against animal hits, hail, flood, theft etc.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Not sure you can get Comprehensive without Collision. Used to be that was a no-no. Maybe times have changed that.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Each state varies somewhat but in Mass you can carry comp without collison.

Posts: 6352 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Also what did you hit to cause the vehicle to be totalled? If you struck anything other than dirt (and in some cases even dirt, there is usually someone that will come looking for payment.

Posts: 6352 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post