SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question from the collective. Uncertain about a seller.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question from the collective. Uncertain about a seller. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Ok guys, Want to buy a gun. It is a great deal. Maybe to good. Not a SF member. A member of another non firearm forum.

Have corresponded via email. Seller has provided pix which include the item and sn.

But I am getting that gut feeling. Cannot say why. I just am.

He keeps asking me if I will take it.

Next I will ask for his info. Name, address, phone number.

His name is not Joe or Tom or Harry either. From Indiana.

Any thoughts?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19239 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bayouman
posted Hide Post
My experience tells me if something doesn't feel or seem ok I walk. Go with your instincts.

Bayouman
Never let the enemy pick the battle site.

Posts: 727 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana  | Registered: June 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Not much info to say anything. But, if your Spidey sense says no, then walk away.

Q

Posts: 26476 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Think I read this here:
“You never get hurt by the deals you miss”

Posts: 26941 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
It may be that he has another buyer and that is why he is asking....but I’d walk if you can’t talk to the guy and see what’s up

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11304 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
It may be that he has another buyer and that is why he is asking....but I’d walk if you can’t talk to the guy and see what’s up
Ask him if you can call him and talk to him. If he declines, there's your answer. If you do talk to him, you should be able to figure out if he's sketchy or not by how he answers your questions.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
My guts have never left me hanging, or vice versa.

I plan to keep it that way.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43921 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I have done a bit more investigation. I did send him and email asking for his info.
Feeling a bit better. But still cautious. So yes, everything you guys have mentioned.

We'll see.

Thanks.

posted Hide Post
Once you get his full name and address, etc., see if anything turns up on the inter-webs about him.

Definitely give him a call to chat about the gun, and establish payment / transaction protocol up front, should it be needed later.

Ask him if he can refer you to any 'seller' or 'buyer' feedback related to him on any other forums and/or on-line marketplaces that he has sold and/or bought items.

Ask him what LGS he frequents the most to purchase (or sell/transfer) guns from, and assuming that he will ship this gun from same, call the shop to ask their opinion of this person (politely explaining the situation to them, of course).

Ask him exactly, "What specific problems have you had with the gun?"

Ask him what his cleaning and maintenace protocol were with the gun.

Ask him how the gun is sighted (i.e., six o'clock hold, etc.).

Ask him how it groups at different yardage, and with what ammo.

Ask him if he used only factory ammo or handloads or both.

Ask any other gun / shooting specific questions, as this will help to establish a base-line if he is a gun enthusiast or not, in talking with him you will hopefully get a feel for his authenticity and honesty, or not.

Maybe there is a SIGforum member that lives near where this gun is located that could check it out / take a look at for you, at his LGS?

Good luck!

Rob

Posts: 3495 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I had a queasy feeling like yours a few months ago, only, I was the seller.

Found out the buyer was arranging a purchase from me for another person. Which is okay, I guess, but lead me to believe it was a straw purchase.

After lengthy conversations with the receiving FFL dealer about my concerns, I relented and sold the pistol. If the person had simply told me in the beginning of what was going on, I would not have almost nixed the sale.

Some will say it's none of my business , as long as it goes to a FFL dealer,perhaps, but I am cautious.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Think I read this here:
“You never get hurt by the deals you miss”

Amen to that! One of the most important lessons i have ever learned.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're not comfortable with the sale, don't buy it.

Another option is for him to take a picture with the gun and that days local newspaper.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I'm with the consensus opinion on this one. If it doesn't feel right, pass on the deal and you're out nothing.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't ignore my gut feelings.

Posts: 1972 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Ask him what FFL is he going to use for transfer as your FFL would like to know. If it's a local to his address maybe you will be fine. Call the FFL ask "Do you know him?". But many have said if you don't feel right about it walk away. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’ve got some good/fair deals, but also am content with paying full price for peace of mind.

I’d want a little history before jumping on board.

My worst was a Browning lever action from a guy in TX. It sat two months before I test fired it, noticed the buggered up receiver screws right away. It had internal damage and ‘may fire’ every 4th shell attempted. The seller accused me of possibly screwing it up.

I dropped it at Browning in Arnold, MO on a trip passing. They said it couldn’t be fixed. This was from another forum site, not here. The guy was an ass and sold me a known, defective firearm. Browning gave me some useful parts off the gun then sold a replacement ‘at cost’. I never came close to unloading it with no paper at a local show.

Posts: 6176 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, your insight has been helpful. I will post outcome once it is known for sure. I will proceed with caution.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Be safe not sorry.

Posts: 22943 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Did not happen. Could not get comfortable with the guy. Asked him to take to his ffl and we would use him/them as the third party to handle the sale/transfer to my ffl. No response.

I am not in a buying mode right no so no big deal. It would have been a too good to pass deal had it worked out. Best it did not.

No harm no foul. Thanks for your insight guys.

Have a great fall weekend. Smile

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Did not happen. Could not get comfortable with the guy. Asked him to take to his ffl and we would use him/them as the third party to handle the sale/transfer to my ffl. No response.

I am not in a buying mode right no so no big deal. It would have been a too good to pass deal had it worked out. Best it did not.

No harm no foul. Thanks for your insight guys.

Have a great fall weekend. Smile

Smart move. When presented with involvement of an FFL, which costs him nothing, a "no response" is a "no deal".

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15623 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post