SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    We are starting to entertain a move back north Tell me about New Hampshire
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We are starting to entertain a move back north Tell me about New Hampshire Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
Tired of the allergies and weather here. Miss colder climate. So we are starting to entertain the idea of a move back north.

New Hampshire is on the list as is Vermont.

Any members from up there? If so any feedback about really anything. I have family in Maine so I am fairly familiar with the climate aspect.

Thanks much all,
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Left a long time ago. The southern part of the state is now Massachusetts without the sales tax.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Looks like a snow storm headed there this weekend.

Posts: 9501 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Never lived up there, but spent a fair amount of time in the winter on business trips.

I distinctly remember one winter morning.

Hot shower, drove to the facility which was on a high knob above the salt water. Wind about 35 knots. Reminded me of some of the winter maneuvers I "enjoyed" while in the army in Germany. I was raised in N. Idaho and experienced those winters. Nothing like the ones up in New England country.

If you like cold winters, with lots of snow . . .Just the place for you.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lived here my entire life minus 4 years in Michigan. Housing is a bit spendy as are property taxes but otherwise no complaints. No sales and income tax. Good gun laws. Even the democrats aren't stupid enough to change that. Allergies can still beat you up here though depending on the area. A friends property gets such heavy pollen in summer it looks like snow in the air.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
Come west. New England is a lost cause.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
From what I understand, the Free Staters never got their ground game going. If it didn't work in NH, I wouldn't have any hope that it would be better than any of the rest of NE politically.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
If it makes a difference, consider the Free State Project.

https://freestateproject.org/

Burton beat me to it.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NHTagmember left there around a year ago. He is now down in Arizona.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
New Hampshire is on the list as is Vermont.

VT and NH may look similar but the cultures are a world apart.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bX7nQrCgALM

Anyone can feel free to imbed the Granite State of Mind Video. I don't know how.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31435 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I left NH in 2015 after having lived there for 24 years

the huge change in NH demographics has made NH merely a proxy for MA, NY, Ct and RIi - who are exporting their particular brand of bullshit north

I left for greener pastures - and settled in the desert and I should have done it 10 years ago - I knew the state was in for a big change when it elected its first democratic governor - its a rapid downhill descent

weather issue aside, I could not in good conscience ever advise that NH was an acceptable place to move

in my opinion the entire NE US is a lost cause - high taxes, high fees, poor services and a general lack of republicans make it a much less than ideal place to want to go

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
NI was raised in N. Idaho and experienced those winters.

Pretty much the same winters we have here and they can be bad in their own right, but they don't hold a candle to the NE winters. It's just a whole new level of cold that goes right through you up there.

When I first moved to northern NY, I'd heard stories of how bad the winters were up there. I thought, pffft Roll Eyes, I'm from MT, they can't be that bad. They were. The coldest I've ever been is out in the field at Ft. Drum in the middle of winter. I can handle -20 to -30 around here no problem, but 30 to 40 degrees warmer out there feels twice as cold.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
From what I understand, the Free Staters never got their ground game going. If it didn't work in NH, I wouldn't have any hope that it would be better than any of the rest of NE politically.

-Rob

I think your understanding may be a bit off. For those that don't know how the Free State Project is supposed to work, the idea was to get 20,000 people to sign a statement indicating that they would move to NH within 5 years of hitting 20,000 signers. While that process took longer than some thought, the 20,000 threshold was hit a little more than a year ago triggering the move. There were some 'early movers' that started to move here before the move was triggered and there are now more than 2,000 who have already moved and thousands more pre-staters.

What have early movers and aligned locals done over the last few years. Well, we eliminated all knife laws in the state. We passed constitutional carry. We've rolled back civil asset forfeiture significantly. We've passed jury nullification, medical cannabis, stopped mandatory seat belt laws. NH has been a disproportionate mover in the crypt-currency space (e.g. bitcoin) with both start-up businesses as well as being the largest single spender of bitcoin in the early days of its acceptance at popular e-commerce sites (e.g. overstock.com).

While it certainly has not been a one-way trip to increased liberty (after 10 years there has been capitulation on real-ID) in general the trend has been quite positive.

There are something like two dozen sitting state reps who are free state project participants and more who have served and moved on and many more locals and pre-staters who are philosophically aligned and embolden by the support that new movers have provided.

And honestly, the political wins and losses while important are really a very small component of the success so far. Having a diverse and dispersed community of liberty activists across the state means that on any given weekend there are multiple social events where like minded individuals gather either to plan how to continue to work to increase liberty in our lifetime, or just as often, to relax among friends who don't think I should move to Somalia. In other larger states, liberty events are sparsely attended and not regularly scheduled. In a typical weekend there are multiple concurrent meetups going on across the state. For example I took a picture at a weekly Nashua meetup a couple of weeks ago

That same time, there was a similar sized weekly social event in Keene and in Manchester...probably others as well.

I think it is fair to question whether the FSP will ever officially get its 20,000 movers but whether that happens or not, NH Is already awesome and the people who have moved are already enjoying themselves more than you can imagine....Oh, and I just hired another mover a week ago. He and his wife will be here in about a month.

Live Free or Die

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jeff_nh,

Posts: 57 | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Awesome!

OP, stay cooler in the summer and check out the mountains in western NC. Not as bad as the flatlands for alergies.

Posts: 12920 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't advise anyone to move to the Northeast US anymore:

-most NE states are liberal hellholes
-Taxes are crazy compared to the South
-Gun control
-Aging population

PA isn't bad at all for taxes compared to NY/NJ/New England and we have great freedom when it comes to guns. Our gas per gallon is stupid high though, only 6 states ahead of us with more expensive gas: CA, HI, etc. I was in Tennessee last week and was shocked at the $1.97 gas. I filled up this morning for $2.42 Frown

Posts: 33794 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
Go where it doesn't snow on April 1st and that ain't NH. Damn snow never ends.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2409 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I wouldn't advise anyone to move to the Northeast US anymore:

-most NE states are liberal hellholes
-Taxes are crazy compared to the South
-Gun control
-Aging population

PA isn't bad at all for taxes compared to NY/NJ/New England and we have great freedom when it comes to guns. Our gas per gallon is stupid high though, only 6 states ahead of us with more expensive gas: CA, HI, etc. I was in Tennessee last week and was shocked at the $1.97 gas. I filled up this morning for $2.42 Frown

NH has no general sales tax. No income tax. Property taxes are high but the total tax burden in the state is about .78 of PA. Oh, and we have the lowest unemployment in the country.

Posts: 57 | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
A lot of ignorance here. VT NH and ME are still free states and will continue to be until those of us born here all die out. If no one else moves here it will all be lost. We all have constitutional carry and a fierce loyalty to remaining free. Help us keep the assholes from NY, MA, and CT and we'll be just fine.

If you like being left alone and spending time in the woods or in sleepy little towns we have plenty of room for you.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NH.

VT doesn't have a Sig Sauer Academy and Pro Shop. Big Grin

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post