SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Jeep Cherokee 2.4 engine
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jeep Cherokee 2.4 engine Login/Join 
Picture of 9mmnut
posted
My check engine light is on. Engine is heating up too slow. Take 10 miles to reach 165 degrees. Dealer quotes $400 to $500 to replace thermostat. Any suggestions?

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Ooh. The t-stat on that engine is supposed to be really tricky. An aftermarket shop may be cheaper, but may do it wrong. DIY supposed to be a real bear. Good luck.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16399 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
I don't think this is a DIY for me. Too cold in garage. One repair shop won't do it. Says that engine needs to go to dealer for any repairs. Its the 2.4 multi air engine.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Check out this video:

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16399 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I haven't had the (dis)pleasure of one of these yet, so I looked it up. The labor alone, which involves taking seemingly half the car apart, is 3.8 hours. So the price you were quoted sounds pretty accurate.

Be thankful you don't have the Opel-built V6 found in some GM cars of the 2000s (Saturn L, pre-2004 Saturn Vue, e.g.) That one is almost 7 hours.

Posts: 28021 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Whatever happened to the old days, when you could pull a hose off the engine, reach in with a long screwdriver, and punch a hole into the metal check valve?

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Used to work at a dealer that had sold Jeep/AMC, and we still had to work on the damnable things. We had a big sign on the shop wall that said "JEEP is a four letter word" We especially hated the Grand Wagoneers. What a nightmare.

Posts: 1644 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

We have two Jeeps. The 1980 CJ7 I can work on myself. The newer one, not as much.

Posts: 26954 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be sure to check the coolant level. If it's really low the heater wont work.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3548 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post