SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ideal utility trailer size?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ideal utility trailer size? Login/Join 
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Glynn863:
5x8, wood floor, mesh gate, 3500 lb axle with 15" tires that I've owned since 1996. Moved me, family, and friends numerous times. I added a spare tire mount to the side and upgraded to LED lights a couple of years ago. A-frame hitch, so it pulls really nice. Made by Lawrimore Trailers in Falkville, AL.

I think I would prefer the 5x8 over my 4x8. If for no other reason than backing it up. The trailer started out with expanded metal decking. That stuff will not support wheeled equipment without stretching out of shape. The stretch makes it impossible to properly tie things down securely.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5166 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My dad's is a [I think] 6x12 tandem
worked perfectly for getting the Midget home & hauls his Mule Trans just fine
The brake light brackets are the widest point, at 8'1"
Was going to keep it at my house for a bit, but it's that 1" that makes it too wide for my gate.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15383 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trailers are like wallets
Almost everyone knows what size you will be needing for the next three to five years .

Prepare to become every ones friend when the find out you have a trailer.

Kinda like when you purchased a pickup

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54712 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Was going to keep it at my house for a bit, but it's that 1" that makes it too wide for my gate.

Posts: 23590 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:

Big Grin

Doable, but backing it through the gate with 1/4" on each side is outside my skillset.

Posts: 15383 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Doable, but backing it through the gate with 1/4" on each side is outside my skillset.

Got a riding mower? Put a ball on the back of it, and use it to push the trailer through the gate. Wink

Even better if you can put the ball mount on the front of the mower!

God bless America.

Posts: 13525 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a 5X8. I use it to haul my four wheeler, and can haul it with my four wheeler for work on property and hauling targets for long range shooting.
I do wish I had a dump trailer,and a 16’ trailer…..

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1131 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:

Got a riding mower? Put a ball on the back of it, and use it to push the trailer through the gate. Wink

Even better if you can put the ball mount on the front of the mower!

Not sure my AWD Ryobi is up to moving that trailer. Razz

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I have a Big Bubba 6x12 single axle and 15” wheels. If I replace it, I’ll get a dual axle or a single 7x14 with brakes and with a better reduced profile ramp if I got an open deck. If I take it somewhere, that back ramp is a huge wind catch even with expanded mesh.

At 12’, boxes of vinyl siding hang out the front a bit but doable.

Otherwise for my former Polaris RZR it worked well but had to back the machine on if I had the plow on.

I had a 6x12 enclosed that was great but a tad small for the RZR. If prices hadn’t gone up so high, I’d get another similar since I don’t have the RZR and could get around the ATV to tie it down.

Both the 6x12 open and 6x12 enclosed were easy enough to push around by hand with a wheel style front jack. The 6x12 enclosed felt like it towed better at speed since it tucked behind the truck well.

So, basically a 6x12 to 7x14 for me.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8346 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
I’ve got an 8x14 double axle with a gate/ramp. I had it built locally and had them put a frame at the front of the deck where I mounted a diamond plate tool box. I added a guerrilla lift to the gate and that makes a big difference for my old back.
I’ve hauled pallets of flooring material, pallets of grass, my lawn equipment, a couple floating work platforms from Ft. Lauderdale and scaffolding down to Anna Maria. I even haled a small rubber boat on its trailer down to Palm Beach.

Posts: 1227 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post