SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone make their own salsa?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone make their own salsa? Login/Join 
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted
I know it’s easy to buy a jar. But there’s something about fresh. I’d even consider growing my own peppers. I also have a Vitamix on hand if that helps.

Also, is there a difference when you roast the chilies?

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Of course home made is better, IMO.
Made some fantastic Hatch Chili Salsa and yes used the BGE to smoke/roast 'em.
If you don't like or want the smokey flavor (I do) then use an oven.
Not hard to make but not something you can keep for a long time so use it soon after making.
I HATE buying most any sauce and especially like making Pasta or Pizza Sauce, also make Pico De Gallo and if I can make it I prefer that but it isn't always possible.

Posts: 22912 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Having some now. We just got our roasted Pueblo chilis last week. The salsa my wife makes is an order of magnitude better than any brand in a bottle.

Posts: 7527 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
We make and can our own salsa. Grow our own vegs.

Onion
peppers. Fresh no roast.
tomato's.
fresh garlic
tomato sauce
tomato paste
vinegar
spices.

Cook it on low heat
Then can it.

Tastes great.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And just a tad of cilantro.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
The old lady is a dirty stinking half mexican. She makes her own salsa and it's dam good. Crowd pleaser for sure.

-2 of the bigger cans Crushed tomatoes
-Bushel Fresh Cilantro, cut it up
-Bushel Green Onion, dice it up
-4-6 jalapenos, boil em and smash em up
-Garlic salt if you want

Hard to screw it up and you can play with the amounts and stuff but dam it's amazing.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6970 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, roasting the poblano's or chile's makes a big difference in taste,texture, and is easy. Just cut them in 1/2" pieces and put them in a pan on medium/high heat with a little oil for 5-10 minutes (until I get a char on them). I use all fresh veggies for mine.

Recipe for salsa
2 poblano peppers cut up 1/2" pieces, then charred then cooled
4 roma tomatoes (plum) diced (you could use more)
2 red onions diced small (or 1 large one)
2 limes- juice of limes in salsa
1/2 ounce or more fresh cilantro diced small
small red chili diced very fine (use as much for your taste, or could use 1 jalepeno in it's place, I use a tablespoon)

Salt and pepper to taste. It's relatively easy to make, and tastes amazing compared to the bottled stuff.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
Surprised ORC is the only one to suggest vinegar. Although I suppose limes do the same thing.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
For me, the question to answer is: "Do we have ripe tomatoes ready to be picked in the garden?" If the answer is "yes" then I have been known to use them for my own hand-chopped salsa cruda, comprised of peppers+onions+garlic+said tomatoes+maybe a tomatillo or two+fresh oregano+ground black pepper, the percentages of ingredients vary based on what I have available. Just chop separately, and toss into a bowl. Eligible peppers include poblano, jalapeno, habanero, all of which I grow myself, never bell peppers. I do not add cilantro as it tastes like soap to me, but the wife loves it and will add it to her portion. Sometimes I will add cumin, which I tolerate much better than the leaves of the plant. Cumin is, of course, the ground seeds of the cilantro plant.

August is a busy month for this as well as my other out-of-the-garden recipes including chiles relleno, gazpacho, and home-made-from-scratch tomato sauce. The latter is made in bulk and mostly frozen for year-round availability. The tomato plants have stopped producing, so I'm probably done for the season.

Posts: 6479 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I do a roasted salsa. What goes into it depends on what kinds of peppers that I can find. I like Poblano and Hatch peppers for their flavor with Serrano and habenero for heat (and I love the flavor of the habs). I usually roast about half the tomatoes and add the rest fresh. Add some garlic, some onion, a handful of cilantro. Salt and lime juice to taste. Every batch is different and the heat tends to vary from "Medium Hot" to "Nuke the Site from Orbit."

Its super easy to make and there are a ton of recipes online to serve as a starting point. I

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Lots of recipes. Make salsa every weekend when local or domestic tomatoes are available. My basic list is: very ripe heirloom tomatoes, garlic, onion, cilantro, lemon juice, wine, salt, sugar, sweet chilies and spicy chilies. Around here, I can get about a dozen different varieties of chili but focus on the taste and not so much the heat.

I use a processor instead of a blender. Just pulse to size.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12724 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Don't get me wrong, I do like salsa on some things, but I buy it at the store and "medium" is about as far as I'll go.

With that said: I used to work with a guy who made his own salsa. He grew his own peppers for it because he "couldn't find peppers in the stores that were hot enough." This was 20+ years ago and I don't know if that's still true since the introduction of Ghost peppers and Reapers, but geez. He brought some of it into the office once to share. I couldn't even be in the same room with it without my nose running and eyes burning.

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Here is the recipe I wrote for work. It’s pretty damned amazing, and probably different than any salsa you have had.
I’ll take the Pepsi challenge with just about any other salsa on this planet.

I really hope you take a chance and try to make this. It’s much easier than you think, and it’s just really, really damn good.

If you don’t have any Espelette powder available, you can substitute paprika, or another mild Chile powder.

https://www.mounthopewholesale...o-chile-sauce-salsa/

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
On years that I grow my own tomatoes and peppers, I will make and can my own salsa. There is nothing better than homegrown and homemade. I like to use a variety of pepper and not just use only jalapeños. Each year I change up the ingredients to try and find what I like best. I keep the recipes I try written down, but I haven’t done salsa in several years as I got too busy for a full garden. I hope to get back at it soon.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigalert:
...I’d even consider growing my own peppers...
It helps, but IMO you're focusing on growing the wrong ingredient. Grocery store peppers are much better than grocery store tomatoes. Of course, growing both is best.

When I first moved to Texas, I ruined a lot of tomatoes trying to make good homemade salsa like I ate in the Mom n pop cantinas. I mentioned it to a Mexican-American coworker who told me to do what her family does - buy canned tomatoes. Part of the reason is grocery store tomatoes suck since they're picked green and then gassed with ethylene to make turn red.

Fast forward 15 years, and I'm middle-aged and growing my own garden so I want to use my tomatoes for salsa. One day, it dawned on me that I needed to roast the tomatoes and then garden tomatoes will be even better in salsa than canned tomatoes. Sure enough, oven roasting the tomatoes makes a huge difference. While I'm at it, I oven roast the peppers and onions too.

Now, when it's tomato season (twice a year in Texas) I make garden fresh salsa and when it's not tomato season I'll use canned tomatoes.

Garden Fresh Salsa
Ingredients:
  • Bunch of roma tomatoes
  • 1/2 white onion
  • 1 serrano pepper
  • 1 jalapeno pepper
  • Bunch of cilantro
  • 1 tbsp of lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp of lime juice
  • 1 clove of garlic (or 1/8 tsp of garlic powder)
  • 1/8 tsp of black pepper
  • 1/8 tsp of salt
  • Anaheim or poblano pepper (can save time and substitute one 4 oz. can of mild green chilies)

Recipe:
  • Preheat oven to 375
  • Remove pith from each tomato
  • Slice each tomato in half and place skin side up on foiled cookie sheet
  • Slice onion into chunks and place on foiled cookie sheet
  • Cut off top (stem end) of jalapenos, slice in half, remove seeds, and place of foiled cookie sheet
  • Cut off top (stem end) of serranos, slice in half, remove seeds, and place of foiled cookie sheet
  • If using fresh Anaheim or poblano pepper then cut off top (stem end) of pepper, slice in half, remove seeds, and place of foiled cookie sheet
  • Place cookie sheet in preheated oven for 20 minutes
  • Remove tomato skins (should be easy as most shrank and separated from meat)
  • Place skinless tomatoes, peppers, and onions in food processor
  • Add lemon juice, lime juice, garlic, black pepper, salt, cilantro, and (if using canned green chilis) green chilis to food processor
  • Pulse the food processor
  • Put in a covered container and refrigerate ~8 hours before serving or adjusting salt
  • Stir, sample, and season with salt to taste.
  • Serve

Canned Tomato Salsa
    Ingredients:
  • 1 fourteen ounce can of Delmonte stewed tomatoes (preferably Mexican style, but Cajun style works fine)
  • 1 fourteen ounce can of diced tomatoes (IMO, diced fire roasted are best)
  • 1/2 white onion
  • 1 serrano pepper
  • 1 jalapeno pepper
  • Bunch of cilantro
  • 1 tbsp of lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp of lime juice
  • 1 clove of garlic (or 1/8 tsp of garlic powder)
  • 1/8 tsp of black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp of salt
  • 4 oz. can of mild green chilies

Recipe:
  • Slice onion into chunks and place in food processor
  • Cut off top (stem end) of jalapenos, slice in half, remove seeds, and place in food processor
  • Cut off top (stem end) of serranos, slice in half, remove seeds, and place in food processor
  • Open Delmonte stewed tomatoes and pour tomatoes and liquid into food processor
  • Open diced tomatoes, drain off liquid, and pour tomatoes into food processor
  • Add lemon juice, lime juice, garlic, black pepper, salt, cilantro, and green chilis to food processor
  • Pulse the food processor
  • Put in a covered container and refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving (overnight is even better)
  • Stir, sample, and season with salt to taste.
  • Serve

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23264 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by recoatlift:
    And just a tad of cilantro.

I love cilantro in salsa. Load it up.

I much prefer chunky salsa. I like when the tomato guts are removed.

Posts: 5419 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of smlsig
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Beancooker:
    Here is the recipe I wrote for work. It’s pretty damned amazing, and probably different than any salsa you have had.
    I’ll take the Pepsi challenge with just about any other salsa on this planet.

I really hope you take a chance and try to make this. It’s much easier than you think, and it’s just really, really damn good.

If you don’t have any Espelette powder available, you can substitute paprika, or another mild Chile powder.

https://www.mounthopewholesale...o-chile-sauce-salsa/

That does sound amazing!

------------------
    Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6321 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Buy high and sell "low"
    Picture of archerman
    posted Hide Post
    For fresh Salsa here is what I use:

2-gloves of Garlic
    1/2 onion
    4 jalapenos
    3 Habeneros
    1/4 cup of Lime Juice (or to taste)
    tsp salt
    tsp pepper
    Whatever tomatoes are fresh in the garden
    roma's beefsteak cherry tomatoes.
    Usually 1 large beefsteak and 5 roma's and few cherry tomatoes.

Blend up (I prefer chunky) and then dig in.

I had some for breakfast this morning on my eggs!

I grow everything except the onions.

Archerman

Posts: 2486 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Move Up or
    Move Over
    posted Hide Post
    Canned 4 gallons in a million pint jars this evening.

Lids are making that happy pinging sound right now...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
    Picture of 92fstech
    posted Hide Post
    My wife makes it with peppers, tomatoes, onions, cilatro, and garlic from our garden, and then cans it in quart jars. She doesn't really have a recipe...just kind of does it to taste. She knocked the ball out of the park this year...it's some of the best I've ever had. Store bought doesn't even come close. We'll be eating good this winter, if the kids and I don't eat it all before then Big Grin!

Posts: 8573 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post