SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tires for a Tacoma - Questions about load range and towing.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tires for a Tacoma - Questions about load range and towing. Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Grandson has a Tacoma extra cab and will tow 6000-ish pounds (including weight of trailer) maybe 3-4 times a month.

Currently has P-rated tires on it and it's noticeably squirrely at highway speeds. One local mechanic recommended full 10 ply load range E tires.

I think that's serious overkill and will raise hell with the ride quality (currently their only vehicle).

I'm thinking Load Range D light truck tires would be a decent compromise.

What says the hive mind?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15233 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I would go E. He should of bought a real truck for consistent hauling of that weight. But hey Tocoma lovers go ahead a flame away. I stand behind my comment. Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
If he doesn't have an equalizer hitch he needs to get one. At that weight it is a necessary addition and will have a bigger impact on stability than tires.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I have E rated tires on my Jeep JK unlimited and will be getting them again when it comes time to replace them, and I don't even tow. I don't notice any real difference in ride quality at all. I say go with the E rated tires.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
What says the hive mind?

I say he needs to make damn sure he has a tongue bar that is a proper lift/drop to have the trailer at the best level to get to proper tongue weight. More or less is going to play hell with that truck more than E rated tires.

Hint - this is almost certainly not the one he had with whatever he drove before.

Of course smart practices on loading still apply, whether it's a boat or trailer. If it's animals, well, wrong truck I guess! Razz

I went from a Yukon XL to an ML350. Theoretical tow capacity is actually more. I've pulled my 6,000 boat/trailer to and from storage and ramp which is about 10 miles, and that is just plenty. I made the mistake noted above and had the mount probably 1.5" too high and it made a shocking amount of difference.

Backing down my neighbor's ramp I'd used for years was an eye opener too. Funny how much easier it seemed for the boat to be trying to drag me into the water. Roll back a foot, brake, sliiiiiide. Eek

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12418 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
He should of bought a real truck for consistent hauling of that weight.
I drive a Frontier with a tow rating similar to the Tacoma. When I had my Draw-Tite Class III hitch installed, the guy told me that if I ever towed max limit at highway speeds that I’d be at the dealership the next day trading it in on a full-size truck.

Tires may help slightly but he’s fighting the physics of a mid-size truck.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I went from C to E load tires and don’t notice a lick of ride degradation.
I also added 2” of lift.

Not knocking the Tacoma as it is a solid little truck but he is certainly pushing it’s limits.
I certainly would go with Es

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25423 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Solid stone ought to support that load.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I had a lot of experience in the tire industry, the one thing I always hated was solving issues with tires. What your suggesting might work but you'll need to air the E rated higher than the P, take the wheels into consideration, can they take the pressure?

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Granted my vehicle is a Pathfinder, but using LT tires made all the difference when towing. I don't think you need 10 ply E rated, but a decent C rated LT will certainly help.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
...noticeably squirrely at highway speeds.

That is almost always a symptom of improper hitch height. Start there, then look at the tire load rating.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6214 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
I would go E. He should of bought a real truck for consistent hauling of that weight. But hey Tocoma lovers go ahead a flame away. I stand behind my comment. Wink

Love my Tacomas. With the extracab Ranch truck (‘03 5 speed, V6) I have towed 4,000 pounds, including up and down steep hills on the ranch (4wd low comes in handy), and have carried just shy of 3,000 pounds in the bed (pallet of quikcrete, 49 60# sacks). I’ve done it infrequently, very carefully, and always thought if I was going to do it often I should get at least a half ton truck or better yet a three quarter ton truck.

The Tacoma is a great little truck and perfect for most of what I need, including getting around on little ranch roads where the surrounding brush would scratch the snot out of a full-sized pickup. I sure wouldn’t use it regularly to tow three tons on a public road though. For a one time deal I’d probably rent a full-size truck. For something more frequent I’d consider trading up to a more appropriate vehicle.

You can go to the E rated ten ply tires and it won’t hurt (I had them on the first ranch truck), but the Taco itself doesn’t have enough mass, braking power, or even a wide enough footprint for safely hauling heavy loads. It being so light (especially the ‘01-‘04 body style, the ‘11 four door long bed [6’] feels like a tank by comparison) is part of what makes it so nimble, handy, and fun, but it doesn’t make it a good tow vehicle at all.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
Check the door panel label for the actual towing capacity of your specific truck.

Assuming it's equipped with trailer towing package, then it should be sufficient to tow 6500~ lbs. If it's not, it's significantly less, like on the order of 3500~ lbs.

Tires alone may not be adequate to alleviate the sway problem. I suspect it doesn't have the trailer towing option which includes these items:
- Class IV receiver hitch
- Supplemental transmission cooler
- Supplemental oil cooler
- 130-amp alternator
- Heavy-duty battery
- 7-pin connector (with 4-pin adapter)
- Trailer-Sway Control (TSC)
- Connector for electronic brake controller

Posts: 1827 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Yes, trailer package, proper hitch height, load equalizer.

Yes 6000 pounds is pushing it with a Taco, but it's what he has at the moment. Already pretty much decided to trade up when the time comes.

I've spoken with him numerous times about tongue weight, not really sure he gets it. Seems to panic if the back of the truck squats even a little.

10 plys it is, and thanks for all the input.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15233 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
If you switch from pmetric to LT tires, please be sure to inflate properly.

There is a tendency to under inflate the LT tires because pmetrics only took 35 pounds. LT will require 50 or more to be properly inflated.

The door sticker no longer applies for inflation when making this type of change.

Also, realize the LTs are going to weigh more and require more to stop.

Most tire sellers don't even bother to share this kind of info.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I've spoken with him numerous times about tongue weight, not really sure he gets it. Seems to panic if the back of the truck squats even a little.

Tell him to get one of these.

I think not enough tongue weight will be worse than too much. Too little tongue weight and the trailer dances all over at highway speeds.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

Tell him to get one of these.

I think not enough tongue weight will be worse than too much. Too little tongue weight and the trailer dances all over at highway speeds.

Since the thread has pretty well been answered maybe some thread drift will be ok. I understand the principle of tongue weight, and how to adjust it. What should you shoot for though? Say your hitch has a maximum tongue weight of 500 lbs, would you want to aim for neutral or closer to 500?

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Since the thread has pretty well been answered maybe some thread drift will be ok? I understand the principle of tongue weight, and how to adjust it. What should you shoot for though? Say your hitch has a maximum tongue weight of 500 lbs, would you want to aim for neutral or closer to 500?

Generally I believe it's a % of trailer weight rather than max capacity. Spend some time on RV or boating boards and you'll see this debated more than .45 vs 9mm.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12418 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Since the thread has pretty well been answered maybe some thread drift will be ok? I understand the principle of tongue weight, and how to adjust it. What should you shoot for though? Say your hitch has a maximum tongue weight of 500 lbs, would you want to aim for neutral or closer to 500?

Generally I believe it's a % of trailer weight rather than max capacity. Spend some time on RV or boating boards and you'll see this debated more than .45 vs 9mm.

That actually doesn't surprise me at all.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I generally shoot for 60% of the weight on the tongue. I actually don't have one of those tongue weight scales. I have driven in vehicles with too little tongue weight and it sucks. As soon as you hit 55 or so, the trailer starts dancing. Scary as all heck.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post