SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Man leads cops on slow speed chase in stolen flatbed truck.......after he can't get it out of 1st gear...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Man leads cops on slow speed chase in stolen flatbed truck.......after he can't get it out of 1st gear... Login/Join 
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted
http://www.al.com/news/birming...ml#incart_river_home

A Pinson man is behind bars after leading Jefferson County sheriff's deputies on a low-speed chase in a stolen delivery truck early Wednesday.

It all began just after 4:30 a.m. when deputies responded to the 1200 block of Birchwood Street to investigate a report of a suspicious vehicle sitting in the road with lights on and no one around. They arrived and checked the car. It was not stolen, said Chief Deputy Randy Christian.

While checking the car, a citizen informed them that a man had just stolen a Kenworth T-300 flatbed delivery truck nearby. Deputies spotted the truck as it turned on to Huffman Road and attempted to stop the vehicle.

The driver - later identified as 29-year-old Randy Dewayne Vert - refused to stop and continued driving south on Center Point Parkway, Christian said. Vert was apparently unfamiliar with the complexities of a modern manual transmission, he said, and was unable to get the truck out of first gear.

The truck traveled at speeds of 25-30 mph on to I-59 south. Deputies followed the truck along I-59 south to Bush Boulevard where the transmission seized and the truck stopped. Vert was removed from the truck and arrested.

He is charged with first-degree theft of property, reckless endangerment, attempting to elude and resisting arrest. He was booked into the Jefferson County jail shortly before 7 a.m. and remains in lockup with bonds totaling $5,900.

"Thank God he couldn't find second gear, the pursuit could have gotten all the way up to 35 mph,'' Christian said.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Thank God he couldn't find second gear, the pursuit could have gotten all the way up to 35 mph,''

Smile

Posts: 15144 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
Why other also charge him with felony destruction of private property as his actions ruined a valuable truck?

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
25-30 mph in its first gear? That engine must have been seriously revving! Big Grin I'm surprised it didn't give out first.

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
I has a drunk try to flee. I think the top speed was 10 mph. Probably either thought he was going a hundred or stopped. I could almost run next to the car.

When he stopped, I opened the car door and he immediately threw up. thankfully I was quick enough to move out of the way.

He plead guilty.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5806 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
25-30 mph in its first gear? That engine must have been seriously revving! Big Grin I'm surprised it didn't give out first.
I had the same thought about the rpms.

Posts: 17984 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Wait, did he leave his own vehicle in the middle of his road to steal the truck?

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 327 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: April 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post