SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bob Munden: Unbelievably Fast Shooting
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bob Munden: Unbelievably Fast Shooting Login/Join 
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted
Never heard of the guy before...this is nuts.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post

Damn, that was fast.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
He was good I remember when he died a few years ago, RIP.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing him on Shooting USA.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23247 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Too bad Bob's not around anymore now that we have these amazing high speed cameras.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Munden was on a level all to his own. He was also an accomplished gunsmith and had quite a waiting list for his action jobs. Single actions that he worked on are rare on the market and command high prices.

Posts: 17123 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
He was amazing. His trick shots on Impossible Shots were awesome. Opening the safety pin with a 1911 was incredible

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Novice Elk Harvester
Picture of ronnied316
posted Hide Post
That was extraordinary, and yes, seeing that with high speed cameras would be amazing.

"SUCCESS only comes before WORK in the dictionary"

Posts: 412 | Location: Kitsap Peninsula, WA | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Guessing that was a remote controlled camera? That's ridiculously fast.

Posts: 17885 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I saw him get tired of shooting clays out of the air so he had someone throw aspirin tablets up so he could shoot something "a bit challenging".
Pretty sure he wasn't antirely human.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He did a stage show at my school in the early 70s. He had a student come on stage, handed him a 45 revolver with a blank ready to go, had him cock it and told him to fire when the buzzer sounded. Bob drew and fired twice (sounded like one shot)before the student could squeeze one off. One of those things you never forget. He was amazing.

Posts: 74 | Registered: April 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I’ve head Bob run a cylinder out of a single action that sounded like damn near a single report.

He made Jerry look lethargic. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Even beyond his shooting prowess, Mr. Munden was quite the character and showman. I used to love listening to his commentary on Shooting USA.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
Did he use ball or ball with shot behind the ball?

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2274 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I was also a fan of Bob Munden, he was so humble about his abilities. Wink

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redleg2/9:
Did he use ball or ball with shot behind the ball?
He said he was shooting blanks. The concussion and particulate discharge of a blank would probably do just fine on a balloon without too much accuracy. However it was great for showing how stupidly fast he was. He had other ways of showing accuracy.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Bob was amazing and quite a showman.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
A little thread drift here but a while back I'd watched Glenn Ford in a couple of movies and got curious about the Hollywood gun slingers and ran across this article.

Some of the names might surprise you. How about Sammy Davis Jr. and Jerry Lewis?

The first fast draw competition took place at Knott’s Berry Farm in 1954.

Hugh O’Brian claimed his 0.25 of a second was the fastest, but Davis Jr. and Lewis were reportedly faster. O’Brian challenged Audie Murphy to a contest, but when Murphy requested live ammunition, O’Brian wisely declined. Big Grin

Others who were good at fast draw during the 1950s and 1960s, says Firearms Editor Phil Spangenberger, included Wally “Mr. Peepers” Cox, Hugh Downs (a host of the early Today show), dancer Donald O’Connor, singers Marty Robbins and Frankie Lane, and actors Glenn Ford, Clu Gulager, Ernest Borgnine, Jock Mahoney and Clint Eastwood.

https://truewestmagazine.com/fastest-gun-hollywood/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I remember seeing him on Shooting USA.
And before that, on American Shooter.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16513 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post