SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any other members having Christmas dinner at a restaurant?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any other members having Christmas dinner at a restaurant? Login/Join 
posted
We are. Going to a recently discovered, very good restaurant not far from our house. $48 per person, three seatings, at 1:00, 3:00 and 5:00.

As I recall there are either four or six different meals offered. I'm interested in the Prime Rib and Shrimp, their Surf and Turf offering.

There are just the two of us, no family near us and, when we went out to buy Prime Rib at Publix yesterday afternoon, the crowds there and on the roads persuaded me to suggest to my wife we eat out. We did this maybe five years ago for Thanksgiving and it was great (though that restaurant has since closed-wasn't my fault).

When we called to make reservations (we'd eaten there earlier in the week and had seen their Christmas offerings), the 5:00 seating was filled, and the only seats for the 3:00 was at the high tables in the Lounge (I am just too discombobulated, unsteady and messed up to crawl up on one of them) so we had to take the 1:00. But we've traditionally eaten holiday meals between 1 and 3 anyway, so this was not a deal killer.

It's a good sized restaurant, so there are apparently lots of other folks in my area who've decided to let someone else cook Christmas dinner.

How 'bout here? Regardless, We genuinely wish you a Merry, Happy and Safe Christmas.

Bob

Posts: 1671 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
We are too. Nothing special, just the local Bonefish. My wife had to work and I thought it would be nice to take a little time and relax and have dinner prepared for us rather than cooking at home.

Oh, and Merry Christmas everyone!

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not doing the restaurant thing on Christmas. The house will be filled with kids and grandkids. However, we are going to a local steakhouse for Christmas Eve dinner. I figured the wife would need a break with all the hoopla scheduled for the big day tomorrow.

And Merry Christmas to everyone on the forum. Be safe.

Posts: 430 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I plan to go out tonight for dinner, but tomorrow I'll try to fix something a little special and out of the ordinary. I can't be with family this year.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39222 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter1:
We are. Going to a recently discovered, very good restaurant not far from our house. $48 per person, three seatings, at 1:00, 3:00 and 5:00.

As I recall there are either four or six different meals offered. I'm interested in the Prime Rib and Shrimp, their Surf and Turf offering.

There are just the two of us, no family near us and, when we went out to buy Prime Rib at Publix yesterday afternoon, the crowds there and on the roads persuaded me to suggest to my wife we eat out. We did this maybe five years ago for Thanksgiving and it was great (though that restaurant has since closed-wasn't my fault).

When we called to make reservations (we'd eaten there earlier in the week and had seen their Christmas offerings), the 5:00 seating was filled, and the only seats for the 3:00 was at the high tables in the Lounge (I am just too discombobulated, unsteady and messed up to crawl up on one of them) so we had to take the 1:00. But we've traditionally eaten holiday meals between 1 and 3 anyway, so this was not a deal killer.

It's a good sized restaurant, so there are apparently lots of other folks in my area who've decided to let someone else cook Christmas dinner.

How 'bout here? Regardless, We genuinely wish you a Merry, Happy and Safe Christmas.

Bob

Sir, I see you are in Tampa Bay. My son and his family live in Apollo Beach. I am always looking for good restaurants in the area. Could you give the restaurant's name, please? Thank you.

Posts: 623 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Eating at home on Christmas this year, but we have eaten out a few times in past Christmases. I always remember that any waitress working Christmas day is somebody that needs the bucks. I always am extra generous with the tip for any waitress serving a meal on Christmas day.

Posts: 1072 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
We do Chinese/Thai on Christmas Eve. I’m making a Christmas ham dinner on Christmas Day.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17597 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure Ironworker, but it might be quite a haul from the other side of the Bay. It's the 3 Olives, on 131st just north of Park Blvd, in Seminole where the old Spoto's was originally located.

Bob

Posts: 1671 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I just had 2 hot dogs for lunch. Have to be at the church today at 1700 and will be there until around 2300 (singing with the Choir at 3 Christmas Eve services); likely will have some soup when I get home. (Though, sometimes the church provides the Choir with sandwiches between services.) I've no family to share dinner with, so will no doubt have a meal "out" somewhere (most of my meals are).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I can find a Chinese restaurant open I will be there.

If not, I imagine one of the truck stops up and down I-85 will be open.

In all honesty that will be a brunch meal and we will cook dinner here for the both us. Probably a cornish hen or a small turkey.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The only place in Jerkwater open on Christmas day will be Penny’s Diner. They do ok for breakfast, but not very good for other meals. So we’ll be having Christmas dinner at home.

Even the big Valero truck stop has a sign up that they’ll be closed. No grease bomb chimichangas or burritos. Not that I’d eat one, anyway.

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
I usually eat with family/friends on xmas, but this year I'm on call at the hospital. Found out that the RV park I'm at is hosting a turkey dinner pot luck, so for the cost of an HEB pecan pie, I'm having dinner (sort of) at home!

I want to add that I'd rather be having xmas dinner with UTsig, but alas...

Posts: 2045 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Nope, we are not, but we sure do wish we were.

Alone.

Posts: 11435 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Empty nesters, with no family in the area, so in the past we have gone to a restaurant.

Last year we were fortunate to be invited to a SIGforum member's home for Christmas day. Incredibly good food and even better company.

I must not have misbehaved too badly; we are invited to return this year.

Our host is doing the Christmas dinner and I will bring some Jew food Wink It is Chanukah too. And we all know that Jesus was a Jew (even though He had a Puerto Rican name). Big Grin

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31378 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Getting Chinese/Thai takeout. Tried last two years to eat at the Chinese restaurant in town and waited 2 hours for our food. I have little kids. I’m not giving that place another dime.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3291 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Another here for Chinese. We're Jewish, so it's sort of obligatory.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
The wife and I are spending the winter in a 55+ RV Resort here in Florida, we will be having Christmas Day dinner at the clubhouse. My wife is just finishing up a rib roast meal for the two of us tonight.

Posts: 13715 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
And we all know that Jesus was a Jew (even though He had a Puerto Rican name). Big Grin

Pretty sure Jesus was a Christian. Wink

Posts: 13291 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
And we all know that Jesus was a Jew (even though He had a Puerto Rican name). Big Grin
Pretty sure Jesus was a Christian. Wink
Are you sure?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31378 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure that there is even a local greasy spoon or fast food open on Christmas Day in my little rural town. Will definitely be an at home meal.

Posts: 797 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post