SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Surefire's new Tactician handheld light for gun fighters - looks good
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Surefire's new Tactician handheld light for gun fighters - looks good Login/Join 
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Still using crap cr123 batteries. I like surefire lights for pistols but that is all. Everything else except for my maglites have been migrated to 18650 batteries.

Someday someone is going to make a good pistol light that doesn't use crappy batteries

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:
Still using crap cr123 batteries. I like surefire lights for pistols but that is all. Everything else except for my maglites have been migrated to 18650 batteries.

Someday someone is going to make a good pistol light that doesn't use crappy batteries

What's so crap about the CR123 battery. They come in lithium.

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Are these in stock anywhere?

Posts: 7423 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Guy I work with received his new Tactician as well and is in love with the thing. I'd like to give it a look.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:

16650 batteries fit and the flashlight works fine if you prefer rechargeable batteries.

Also 123 batteries are reliable. They just work. And since this is designed specifically to be a tactical light, that must work without fail, then they are really the best choice. Rechargeable batteries fail all the time, especially if they are dropped. The protection circuit can kick in, rendering the light inop.

Real tactical light=123 batteries

General purpose light= rechargeable batteries

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Twisty tailcap and not 18650 compatible? No thanks. I work nights, and currently carry a Fenix TK11 and a Streamlight Stinger LED DS. The TK11 is ok...I like the simple, two-stage single-function switch, and not having a bunch of modes I have to worry about accidentally activating. I have had some reliability problems with the internal contacts, but overall it's served me well over the past 7 years.

The stinger is a good light, but it's big and heavy. It's been 100% dependable, though, and it's output is adequate for my needs. I'm not a big fan of the multiple modes (high, low, strobe)...I want my work flashlight to be solid bright, every time I press the switch. Low is pointless (useful in a backpacking light to save battery, but not something I use at work), and strobe...well, I have those on my car.

As to CR123s vs the 18650...123s are fine (actually preferable) in a light that doesn't get used daily...like a weapon light. But in a flashlight that's getting run for long periods throughout a 12 hour shift, I'd need to take out a second mortgage to pay for all the 123s I'd go through. Rechargeables are a must. I see Streamlight is starting to re-release some of their formally 123-only models with 18650 compatibility. This is a huge step in the right direction, IMO, and surefire should take notice.

Posts: 8585 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
The last Surefire flashlight I bought, which was freaking expensive, stopped working properly after two weeks. I emailed customer service three times with no replies. Not too happy with them.

You have to change the batteries when they die Razz
Funny, I broke a piece of the mount on my Surefire X300U - completely my fault (overtightened it).

Surefire responded promptly and I had replacement parts in my hand in < a week. Free of charge.

Fenix is good, but I dropped one of the TK series lights at night once and it stopped working - regardless of battery, troubleshooting, etc, something in the tailcap failed. I paired it with a tailcap from another failed Fenix to get it working again, but as I count up my Fenix lights, the are 2 for 4 at failing, again with no Fenix response.

I still have a PD32 and PD15 - great lights, but the Surefire E1B is a nice middle ground of size between them.

Glad it's a free country, choose what you like. Chinese made or American made stuff, pick your price point.

Mail your dead ones to me if they are under five years old. I'll get them fixed for free and have two new lights to play with.

Or

Check with these people. They warranty a lot of them depending on if they originally sold them, if they didn't sell them, they can give you the number for the other company that imports them.

https://www.fenix-store.com/warranty-info/#Seven

PS James Yeager is a worthless douche bag.

PPS Bubbatime I'll take two or three Fenix lights all day to a Surefire, if one breaks every five or ten years no worries because I have backups since I could buy three for the cost of your Chucky Y light.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The last Surefire flashlight I bought, which was freaking expensive, stopped working properly after two weeks. I emailed customer service three times with no replies. Not too happy with them.

Just goes to show ya. I needed a new tail cap for one of my Surefires that was at least five years old. I called Surefire and they couldn't have been nicer. Mailed me a new one free of charge.

Posts: 5743 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
You lost me at James Yeager.

This.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7947 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post