SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Helo rescue gone wrong. Lady spins 175 times
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Helo rescue gone wrong. Lady spins 175 times Login/Join 
posted
Just freaking cut the cord and drop me from the sky. No way could I have handled this.
You Tube

Inside Edition -

An elderly hiker being airlifted to safety on a stretcher spins wildly in a dizzying video. The 74-year-old woman had fallen while hiking in Phoenix, Arizona, and suffered face, wrist and hip injuries. During the windy airlift, firefighters say a line that was supposed to prevent the stretcher from spinning failed, leaving the woman helpless as she twisted a nauseating 175 times over more than two minutes. Rescuers said the woman experienced dizziness and nausea but is expected to recover.

Posts: 5418 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
She did an incredible job of keeping count though!

Luckily she was a figure skater.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12419 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I think the story is wrong. That must be Super Dave Osborne.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
I was watching this in public wearing headphones. Big mistake.

Posts: 2016 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
That’s why you need a tender/stabilizer line separate from the haul line. Luckily she was properly packaged- she might have been easily ejected.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15583 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Not a laughing matter but for some reason it makes me laugh. Glad she is ok. Things happen. People want to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rescuers said the woman experienced dizziness and nausea but is expected to recover.

Ya think?!

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1853 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
That’s why you need a tender/stabilizer line separate from the haul line.

They had a line, but it broke.

Posts: 6622 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
That’s why you need a tender/stabilizer line separate from the haul line.

They had a line, but it broke.

Actually, it says it failed, but a proper tending line should be strong enough and properly attached to keep from detaching. It would be clipped into one end of the litter and tension kept on it until it is secured in the aircraft. My guess is that the line was improperly attached to begin with.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15583 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
According to Phoenix FD, out of the hundreds of air rescue operations performed by the Phoenix FD helicopter over the years, this is only the 2nd time this has occurred. It has occurred with AZ DPS Air Rescue as well. The patients were secured and no injuries occurred from the events. It must be anxious moments for the patient and flight crew though.

Easy to second guess, find it funny and criticize.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
I think the story is wrong. That must be Super Dave Osborne.

It does look like one of his....

Posts: 4114 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43886 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was bad. Could have been worse, though. She could have auto-rotated. That makes for a low quality flight.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I can't go on anything that goes in a circle at any speed, it's so bad that I got sick riding a playground merry-go-round with my kids. I cannot imagine how I would have handled that.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8107 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3451 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
If you turn the screen upside down, it looks like the lady is rescuing the helicopter.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
On the bright side, she's not laying in the middle of the desert with a broken hip being eaten by a coyote. So,... there's that. Big Grin

Posts: 11389 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
According to Phoenix FD, out of the hundreds of air rescue operations performed by the Phoenix FD helicopter over the years, this is only the 2nd time this has occurred. It has occurred with AZ DPS Air Rescue as well. The patients were secured and no injuries occurred from the events. It must be anxious moments for the patient and flight crew though.

Easy to second guess, find it funny and criticize.

Exactly. Easy to second guess. And it has happened before but not often. It was not life-threatening. The one doing the counting? Lawyer, likely.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post