SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm ready for some Thermal!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm ready for some Thermal! Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
I'm thinking this is a good entry level point.

AGM TS35-384 Rattler

What do yall have, is this a buy once situation?

I've decided against the bridges PVS14 and thermal monocular. I think a scope on my spare upper will be the ticket and I can always use the PVS14 to move and what not.

10 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6624 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I purchased an ATN Thor 4 scope and its on one of my AR's

couldn't be happier with it

Posts: 53840 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
I have the same specs, but as an Adder. It's pretty easy to dial-in, although I'm not doing any additional rifle profiles-it's dedicated for my Grendel.

I'm happy with it; it does what I need. If it's got the active tracking on it where there's a little green cross fluttering around, that I found distracting, so I deselected it. By far, White Hot is my favorite imaging.

This is my only low-light optic, so I'm going to defer to those who've had more time and variety of brands. But yeah, it's fun and useful. I took it one day for deer hunting last season and got set up ~5:30. It enabled me to kinda scout for any prospects before legal hunting time started that day.

Posts: 5784 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Trijicon REAP-IR that I have been pretty happy with, but I am starting to consider using it for observation only and going to NV for aiming. As long as whatever thermal you go with can be used for observation I do not think there is a downside to good thermal besides cost.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

Can it be used during the daylight as well, as in like regular scope and then flip a switch to turn on the thermal at night? Or is it thermal all the time and it just works better at night?

Posts: 20600 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Otto, I read the title was first thought was, "it's June!!! Why does he need thermal???" Big Grin

Posts: 13311 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:

Can it be used during the daylight as well, as in like regular scope and then flip a switch to turn on the thermal at night? Or is it thermal all the time and it just works better at night?

It's just thermal. It doesn't know day from night.

I shoot mine in the day all the time.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34419 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Gotcha. I'm looking for something to throw on a 10-22 for whacking coyotes (and other varmints) at night. Problem is, I shoot that rifle often during daylight and wouldn't want to degrade that ability.

Posts: 20600 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

So it's not as easy as whip a dime out of your pocket and start elevating and wind aging.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55208 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:

just thermal all the time, no daylight provisions (to be fair I'd never considered using it during the day so I will have to research it a bit)

it has a few nifty features, like being able to record the video of what you're looking at and one shot sighting in. Its very easy to use although the charging cord is several feet shorter than what it should be - strictly from a convenience standpoint.

Posts: 53840 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post