SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need a new TV... No Sony
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a new TV... No Sony Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
So this is the second Sony Bravia that has taken a shit after just 4 years. Sound board went on both of them.

Looking for a new 55 inch, maybe 4K. Use it for a lot of gaming. Not buying another Sony.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10730 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Samsung no question.

My go to is Sony for live action stuff but you have had bad luck.

You mention gaming so Samsung for sure. They beat Sony in their display of animation and computer generated stuff.
I don’t do much gaming so I went Sony. If I did gaming Samsung would have been the choice.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25435 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I've had very good luck with LG products. 2 TV's, a monitor, G6 cell phone and washing machine. The TV's are 7 and 6 years old with zero problems and the monitor is 5 years old.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Samsung.
Had Sonys for twenty years. Samsung picture and features are just better.
Got a 4K last purchase. It’s nice.

GW.

Posts: 642 | Location: Auburn, AL | Registered: August 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
I have always been a Samsung guy but my friend just bought a 55" LG OLED 4K TV and it's pretty amazing. Might be worth checking in to.

JP

Posts: 2054 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Really like the Samsung stuff and have had good luck with it.

It never ceases to amaze me how successfully LG has re-branded themselves given the fact that they are the company once known as GoldStar...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6220 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I've never been overly impressed with anything Sony. Only Sony anything I ever bought was our current Bluray player, because it had a record for being an exceptionally good BD player. It is a good BD player. As as streamer: It sucks.

After my own bad experiences with Samsung mobile devices, Samsung a couple times getting caught with their hands in the "consumer privacy cookie jar," and reading the execrable non-privacy policy that accompanied the one Samsung Bluray player to which I was going to give a chance: Only way I'd have a network-connected Samsung anything in my home is if it was blocked from Internet access.

I'd look at LG or Vizio, I suppose.

I was just looking at 32" TVs for the Man Cave. Best Buy has a 32" Sharp "smart" TV that uses embedded Roku for it's streaming. I think I might go that way.

I wonder whatever happened to Hitachi? Back in the days of CRTs: Every time I went to evaluate a new TV, I always ended-up with Hitachi, and never for a moment regretted it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I bought my 55" tv a week before Thanksgiving from BestBuy. It's only sold in BB and their store brand, Insignia. After looking on BB.com, I see it's on sale again for $400, which is what I paid.

It's 4K, 55" and a smart tv. My only gripe about the smart tv is there is no internet browser. Other than that the tv is amazing!

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/i...9628.p?skuId=5679628

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Just picked up the LG C7 65” OLED two weeks ago. Lots of research and checking out TVs. OLED is awesome and this TV is fantastic. No matter the size or model number, all LG OLED TVs have the same picture quality, gaming response, etc.

Right now this panel is the best value and at least equal to Sony OLED on the market. Hit up google and YouTube and pretty much an overwhelming positive response. Go down a model to B7 (Silver bezel and does not support Dolby Atmos on internal speakers) and can save some money. Funny thing is - LG panels are made by Samsung. Oh Yeah - I own a 3 year old 55 Samsung LED -great TV, but this blows it away. OLED is like a mix of the best between Plasma and LED. The webOS used to provide the smart interface is better than Samsungs and the remote “pointer” is just smart.

Good luck

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
For years my son has had Samsung and picture was great. I have had Sony. Audio port plug went out on Sony so got a Samsung 4K and it is Fantastic. Great picture. Almost 3D like. Highly recommend Samsung.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1379 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:
... only sold in BB and their store brand, Insignia.

Not being familiar with the brand, I gave it a pass in my recent research. Took a look. Apparently they're not half-bad TVs.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
So this is the second Sony Bravia that has taken a shit after just 4 years. Sound board went on both of them.

Looking for a new 55 inch, maybe 4K. Use it for a lot of gaming. Not buying another Sony.

Samsung 8000 series. Costco has some amazing prices on them until the 27th. Plus they double the warranty. Also if the use the Costco visa, they double the warranty again.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:
... only sold in BB and their store brand, Insignia.

Not being familiar with the brand, I gave it a pass in my recent research. Took a look. Apparently they're not half-bad TVs.

Same here until it was recommended by my step-brother. Upon comparison, they were just as good as the Samsung and Sony which I was considering. The picture is fantastic and the price is much better than Samsung and Sony.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
We just replaced our 10 year old Vizio 42 inch - which is still working great and has been reassigned as gaming TV for downstairs - with a new 65 inch Vizio Ultra HD 4K with Smartcast.

We looked at all the displays and this one had the best picture by a noticeable margin. I went in thinking we would get a Samsung, but stuck with Vizio and we are very happy. The picture and functions on it are amazing.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/v...8905.p?skuId=5608905

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
Bought a 60" M Series Vizio 4k set at Costco in November of 2015.

Great picture and NO issues with it at all. I usually lean toward Samsung's, but I thought the picture on the Vizio was nicer. And the price was nicer, also.

Posts: 1352 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
Really like the Samsung stuff and have had good luck with it.

It never ceases to amaze me how successfully LG has re-branded themselves given the fact that they are the company once known as GoldStar...

Lucky Goldstar = LG

If It's a good TV, We're Lucky!

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
We had a bad experience with Samsung and no longer consider that brand for anything.

55" purchased at Costco, 6 months old and developed a picture related problem.
TV was professionally installed by Costco affiliate (Dish Network) when delivered.

Costco would not honor warranty because it was still under Samsung warranty period.
Samsung came out and checked the TV and told us it was damaged, it had never been moved or touched after it was set to the wall mount.
Hundreds of similar stories of the same picture problem were posted on the internet,Samsung refused to fix or replace TV's in all these cases.

We now buy LG, Vizio,or Toshiba.

Posts: 4635 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
+1000 for Samsung

quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Samsung no question.

My go to is Sony for live action stuff but you have had bad luck.

You mention gaming so Samsung for sure. They beat Sony in their display of animation and computer generated stuff.
I don’t do much gaming so I went Sony. If I did gaming Samsung would have been the choice.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
My Samsung crapped out after 4 years and I switched to Sony. Great picture. I'll update you in a few years if it's still working or not.

I guess every brand is going to have its share of lemons.

Posts: 6064 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
I just had a Samsung die after 4 years or so. We have two Panasonics that work great that are older than the dead Samsung. I'm not buying a Samsung again.
Does anyone have experience with the TCL brand? I've found some great reviews & recommendations online for this brand.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post