SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gym / Workout firearm >>>>>>>
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gym / Workout firearm >>>>>>> Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

When I work out at a gym, my street clothes and carry gun go into my gym bag after changing into my gym clothes, and my gym bag stays next to me the whole time.

Yup, exactly what I do, though I arrive at the gym already dressed for working out. My gym bag is a Maxpedition Octa Versipack. Easily keeps my wallet, keys, pistol, spare mag, liquid chalk, bar clamps, phone...all in one place and right next to me.

Very similar set up for me. I've always felt the gym was an elevated risk area. Most are "gun free zones" where patrons visit on a regular schedule. Be it their routine or for scheduled classes. Those are two positive check marks for someone looking for a place to do another harm.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Might I suggest finding a better class of athletic facility?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31443 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a while, I worked out at LA Fitness and carried a NAA mini .22LR in my pocket. I work in a downtown environment and would sometimes run along the riverfront. In those cases, I carried a G43 in a bellyband and didn't feel like it was too cumbersome or moved.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
Might I suggest finding a better class of athletic facility?

Like a Gun Free Zone? Roll Eyes

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I kept my EDC of the day in my gym bag, which followed me around the gym.

Like others have said...no longer applies, I haven't been to a gym in nearly 5 years. What little I do these days happens at home. Which is mostly stretches and physical therapy type movements. For other activities...I do outdoor stuff. Interestingly I just accepted an assignment to perform a business valuation on a local gym, and should be performing the site visit next week. I was considering a membership if my client makes the purchase and I like what I see.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Every time I step in the gym it’s a gun show!

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I ski and snowboard with my pistol in the same Maxpedition Octa Versipack I take to the gym. When in Utah, I'm rarely ever not armed, even on the slopes.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I used a Fanny pack to carry gun, phone, keys and wallet when I was competing

Posts: 5739 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Smart Carry.

Only time I won’t carry is if I’m doing deadlifts, etc., or something crazy where it could become a safety hazard.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
Smart Carry.

Another vote for Smart Carry, here.
Ruger LCR works very well with that setup.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 376 | Registered: November 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
P365 in my small backpack, but it goes into a locked cubby hole at my Anytime Fitness. If they're all taken, the bag stays with me on the floor. But there is almost always a cop with a gym bag on the floor when I'm there. Those guys always keep their gym bags with them.

Posts: 3538 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I have tried every way imaginable. Smart carry, safepacker on person. Even cracked a couple of ribs on leg press one day. I was compensating for the firearm, it’s a long story. After trying everything imaginable, I just relented to a Safepacker in my gym bag. I carry a bag anyways as I use wrist reinforced gloves, elbow straps, knee wraps on leg day, a belt on leg day, barbell pad for squats, towel, and I prefer to keep my truck fob, house keys, and wallet in the gym bag too. Bunch of shit in that bag man. Air Pod Pros, my phone. Ab sling straps, stretch straps (blues, gold, black, etc) I don’t like having anything on my person as I use a lot of shit at the gym, dumbbells, bars, Hammer-strength machines with plates. If it’s in the gym I probably use it. Body is in too many configs on various benches, machines, etc, which make carrying a firearm on person too much of a PITA. I tried for a long time and on leg day it’s just not happening. Back extensions, hanging ab work, not happening. Nah, not with a firearm on me. I’ve tried it and got the injuries, never again. So it’s been a Safepacker in my gym bag for many years now. I just keep the bag close and my eyes are always on it. It’s never been an issue. Staff at both gyms know I carry, know I re rack, clean up after myself, etc. If you haven’t been to a gym in a while it’s not the 90’s. It’s a clusterfuck in there. People camping, people playing with their pacifiers, swiping their finger. They don’t re rack, don’t clean up after themselves. I carry a P30 or P30sk due to the large trigger guards which allow glove use. I’ll actually shoot a mag or two with my weightlifting gloves on when I go. Motorcycle carry is similar in that I keep the pistol in my tank bag and not on my person. Just have to manage the bag. Been doing this for many years and I’ve never had someone try to steal it. It’s always next to me. Need to piss or shit, go into a stall. Just how it is. I used to lock my shit up after work in the locker with a good lock. But one day, when I wasn’t there some thug went in there with something that could break locks, and busted into like 10-20 lockers stealing shit. After that the only thing I keep in a locker is attire, nothing else.

Literally a week ago, at the big gym in the city, not my home gym down the street, one of the staff was walking around cleaning up and asked this dude to re rack. Dude had left shit all over the place in 3 different areas. He politely asked him to re rack it. Dude flipped out, completely. Another POS that doesn’t need to be in there. He started yelling and they both got into it and the offender says “You figgin to get POPPED!” I heard that, and that was it. I covered the employee until he closed the gym down. I was there probably an extra 30 minutes at closing time. He was very appreciative. I pulled the safepacker out, opened it, but kept the 30SK concealed and just sat at the reception desk. I mean maybe the hammer was visible but I was standing right behind it. Dude had stormed out and we didn’t know if he had something in the car or if he was going to run home and come back or what. Guy was full of it and was mouthing off but you never know. I’d rather have something with me just in case.

https://www.thewilderness.com/...concealment-holster/

They have a bunch of sizes for different sized firearms. If you use gloves at all make sure you are carrying something with a large trigger guard that you can use with your gloves. I have the packer backer too and use it often if I’m just walking the dog and not working her at the park with drills. Been using the Safepacker for over 10 years at this point. Great product and I very much like the company. Been using their belts for over 10 years too. Glad you brought this up as I need to order another Safepacker in a different size.

https://www.thewilderness.com/...r/the-packer-backer/

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12638 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post