SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Proper name for 9V “transistor radio” battery?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Proper name for 9V “transistor radio” battery? Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
An orthorhombic (brick-shaped) 9V battery with one male and one female terminal. Decades ago about the only use for them was transistor radios, so I’ve always called them “transistor radio” batteries. But most folks nowadays would be puzzled by that term. What’s the proper name?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8832 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
9V battery.

Posts: 2925 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Calling them a 'stacker' or 'sixer' doesn't go far.

Should do fine just calling it a nine volt or PP3.

Posts: 9103 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
“Nine Volt”

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12298 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:
9V battery.

Both Duracell and Energizer just label them as "9V." The fine print on the rear of the Duracell has a long identifier, but I suspect that's just for formal, internal use.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I just found this on the web:

“The alkaline variant of the 9V battery is also referred to as 6LR61 and 006P. Other industry names for the 9V battery can be Duracell MN1604, Rayovac A1604, Energizer 522, Varta 4922, MX2400, 1604A, Radio Battery, Smoke Alarm Battery, 9V Block, and Krona.”

Yeah, I’ll stick with “9 volt”. Frown

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8832 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I call 9V batteries that I use in my devices, “Dead” or “Dying”.

The OP reminded me that I also grew up calling them, transistor batteries.

Posts: 282 | Location: Central PA | Registered: November 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
PP3 was the name and description a long time ago.

I was trying to help identify some ancient and obsolete electronic junk for an Estate Sale and couldn’t figure out the needed battery size. I learned from a search that PP “Power Pack” was actually a series of different sizes, thus PP1 and PP3 and up was a series of sizes going up from there.

As a young man my best friends Dad was a WW2 Vet Electronics and Radio guy. He always called them Transistor Batteries. He would “test” these by sticking the contacts on his tongue. He finally convinced me to try that, I hated it! I quickly learned to use a Volt Meter to check the batteries. Clyde Smith was his name and he introduced me to Ham Radio.

Posts: 11810 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Av8nShooter:
I call 9V batteries that I use in my devices, “Dead” or “Dying”.

Flashlight Definition: A tubular device for the purpose of storing dead batteries. Wink

Posts: 11810 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:
9V battery.

What he said. And you test them on your tongue.

Posts: 19974 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
It’s always been a 9V to me

Have you all noticed that AA batteries seem to have taken over for most applications where in the past it would have been several D, C or a 9V?

Posts: 33567 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
It doesn't matter, they still won't come when you call 'em...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43797 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
The only thing that matters is what they taste like.

Posts: 17869 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tongue test. 9V battery or transistor battery as others have noted.

Posts: 102 | Location: Kalifornia | Registered: September 17, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I've been using the Lithium 9Vs lately. They are more expensive, but in return they last longer, and you can leave one in your device for a long time of no use, and they will not leak that white crap from the terminals like alkalines will. I also have gone to the Lithium AA and AAA cells for the same reasons, where I don't run rechargeables. The AAs and AAAs and not proportionately more expensive. Energizer, for one, makes all those sizes in Lithium.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10777 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
It’s always been a 9V to me

Have you all noticed that AA batteries seem to have taken over for most applications where in the past it would have been several D, C or a 9V?

This isnt at a bad thing. I worked at getting my personal electronics on AA's when still in USAR so that I could swap batts when low from one item with less priority to another that needed to work. The only glitch was Surfire and those C123's.

After that things moved to AAA's and that worked well as lights etc downsized and were still more powerful. That got me up to the 18650's with USB recharging being the common denominator, and a power pack to handle the phone, flashlight etc with cords. I can jump the wife's tablet if needed and her car has ports, too. I keep a recharger plug in the truck, we aren't without options and a common backup power source. Hard no on button cells. Cheaper to toss that junk in a thrift store bin and by new at the replacement cost of the cells alone. Learned that lesson long ago, try finding a "N" cell for a first gen Aimpoint.

Now its either got a USB rechargeable cell - which can last hundreds of times longer - or it's not an option. The LED weapon sights are all 2032 IIRC. Same idea - make it a spec and it won't be an issue unlike all the speciality junk Chinesium.

About the only 9v in the house now is smoke detectors or an old Radio Shack needle display voltmeter - because digital ones aren't all that. And I stuck with the Ryobi 18V batts for the tools - they sit 28 days a month, Im not "investing" double just to brag over the name. Control your battery footprint and it's all good.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AAAAx6

Posts: 3296 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Yep 9 volt. Have one in my safe combo lock. I change it once a year although they always test good once removed.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
9 volt tongue tested till getting a voltmeter.. Then did not have to worry about the after taste. ...... drill sgt.

Posts: 1938 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
“transistor radio”

Penlight battery
Lantern battery

You're old.

Posts: 21039 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post