SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Garage door opener belt is fubar. Update: fixed!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Garage door opener belt is fubar. Update: fixed! Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Thanks for all the help. Got the new belt installed amd it’s working great!
Excellent!

Was it one of those 20 minute jobs that took all day? I'm having one of those. New dishwasher doesn't fit in the old dishwasher cabinet. Gonna have to rebuild the cabinet ... maybe next weekend.

Posts: 45372 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
Excellent!

Was it one of those 20 minute jobs that took all day? I'm having one of those. New dishwasher doesn't fit in the old dishwasher cabinet. Gonna have to rebuild the cabinet ... maybe next weekend.

In a way fairly easy,

Fitting my fat butt between the end of the new screen garage door and the wall

Guessing that the lower bolt on the pulley is the same size as the upper, bring two 9/16 wrenches, one to remove the lower bolt, one to hold the upper, mean the upper's not 9/16, back down the ladder and off to get a 5/8.

Then the adjuster spring came apart, because I turned it one half turn too many and did the gun spring fling across the garage floor, good thing it's a big spring and easy to find...

Trying to get that stupid bicycle chain end link off while you are up on a ladder, then thinking, "why didn't I just take the belt down and do it while on the floor"

Forgot to cycle the opener to make sure it was in the up position first before starting and having to take belt loose, reset opener, re-install belt.

Other than a little things it went fairly smooth... Big Grin

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
And you did save yourself $300.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
Excellent!

In a way fairly easy,

Fitting my fat butt between the end of the new screen garage door and the wall

Guessing that the lower bolt on the pulley is the same size as the upper, bring two 9/16 wrenches, one to remove the lower bolt, one to hold the upper, mean the upper's not 9/16, back down the ladder and off to get a 5/8.

Then the adjuster spring came apart, because I turned it one half turn too many and did the gun spring fling across the garage floor, good thing it's a big spring and easy to find...

Trying to get that stupid bicycle chain end link off while you are up on a ladder, then thinking, "why didn't I just take the belt down and do it while on the floor"

Forgot to cycle the opener to make sure it was in the up position first before starting and having to take belt loose, reset opener, re-install belt.

Other than a little things it went fairly smooth... Big Grin

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
And you did save yourself $300.

You are correct, a new opener is $300 for a 3/4 hp plus new bar and belt, so $400, or having a service call with belt install probably $200 to $250

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post