SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Toilet paper positioning?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toilet paper positioning? Login/Join 
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted
I’m not talking about orientation. Everybody knows that the paper comes over the top of the roll. If you are one of the behind the roll people, you can stop reading now. Because you are wrong.

What I’m asking about is where the toilet paper belongs on the wall next to the toilet. Forward of the bowl? Next to your arm? Above the seat? Level with the seat? That kind of thing. I did a little bit of googling and came up with the ADA specs on roll positioning, but that doesn’t quite seem satisfactory in the small bathrooms Mrs.BurtonRW and I have recently remodeled.

Unfortunately, the rental we are in is quite old and put together in questionable ways, so we feel that it is an unreliable model.

Thanks in advance for any helpful thoughts or comments.

– Rob

P.S. - Mrs.BurtonRW welcomes any pictures of cats playing with toilet paper.

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
Roll dispenser should be a comfortable reach without leaning over. Also positioned so you can get a good power spin. You can always buy a free standing one to place wherever you like.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
My Master bath has a water closet where the toilet is located so I'm quite familiar with a smallish space.

How I went about this task was to sit on the seat, bend my elbow 90 deg, position elbow by my side, and rotated hand/arm outward. Where my hand touched the wall is where the holder got mounted on the wall. It has been a perfect location.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
My guess is that the OP has never owned a cat.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
As long as it is comfortable to reach while sitting, it should work. HOWEVER, if you have small kids, mount it high enough that they can't use it as a handle. I had to move the TP holder in the kids' bathroom higher because I was tired of fixing it.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Upgrade and replace said paper with a Bidet....

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
We have a portable roll holder. It’s on a stand and not fixed to a wall or cabinet.

Posts: 45375 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Our bathroom is just the right size to
Use the inside of the sink cabinet door.
Works our perfect but you gotta open the under sink door.

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

I found that didn't really make a difference. If I put in the roll so it rolled outward over the top, the cat would sit on the toilet and unroll it. If I put it in the other way, the cat would sit on the toilet and tear chunks of it out with her claws. Made a helluva mess.

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Cat fixes incorrect installation of TP roll...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43886 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I studied on this. The internet has very particular positions for paper. The position for paper presents a puerile poo-wiper visible to anyone entering the 1/2 bath. This offends the puritanical proclivities of the woman of the house. She believes that the paper should not be visible as a stark white roll, in the newly decorated bath. So, I will likely, with her approval, mount the roll where it should not be located according to the internet. I will probably mount it low and at the rim level, hidden in part by the forward rim.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

I found that didn't really make a difference. If I put in the roll so it rolled outward over the top, the cat would sit on the toilet and unroll it. If I put it in the other way, the cat would sit on the toilet and tear chunks of it out with her claws. Made a helluva mess.

THANK YOU. The whole “down the back if you have a cat” thing is a myth.

As for the stand (vs. wall mount), we’ve had trouble finding one that isn’t clunky (or at least to our liking aesthetically).

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
I’m not talking about orientation. Everybody knows that the paper comes over the top of the roll. If you are one of the behind the roll people, you can stop reading now. Because you are wrong.

Thank you! That was a wonderful laugh for today. I agree, you are 100% correct.

As to where to put the dispenser, somewhere convenient and comfortable. I’m sure we’ve all visited at least one restroom where we thought, “What silly individual thought this was a good place to put the tp?

The portable stands can work if there isn’t a good spot available on the wall.

ETA: Yes, I wasn’t a fan of the aesthetics at first either. However, as the placement was infinitely better from an ease of use standpoint than the original installation it didn’t take long to be much less offended by the aesthetics than I had been with the poor ergonomics of the original installation.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I like it where I can reach it with minimal effort but I make concessions for aesthetics. Lets face it, an ass-wipe role is not very attractive, so I prefer it not to be the first thing you see when entering the room. If I lived in a remote cabin in the woods I'd probably not give a "shit" (see what I did there) and just might have a roll sitting on the floor. Since I'm somewhat civilized and have people/family over often (covid not withstanding) I like to make a good impression even with the trivial thing like where the hell the toilet paper hangs.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Exactly as Tatortodd said above. This is the precise same logic I followed.

And I'm an over the top of the roll guy. It seems the hospitality industry agrees as every hotel I ever visited, domestic or abroad, has been over the top with some even folding the corners.

Cats are ok, it's just not my bag to own them. With the exception of a few random encounters every few months (or years), my life could be considered a 99.9% feline free environment.

Posts: 7259 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
We have a portable roll holder. It’s on a stand and not fixed to a wall or cabinet.

Same here, can move it as needed or change it out if a remodel happens.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
There are standards for these sorts of things!

quote:
According to the National Kitchen and Bath Association, a wall-mounted toilet paper holder works best if installed 26 inches above the floor, on center. "On center" means that the center of the holder, as opposed to the bottom or top of it, is 26 inches above the floor. This installation height works well with standard as well as comfort height, or handicapped, toilets.

The other important measurement is that it should be placed eight to 12 inches, on center, from the toilet to the facing wall. Measure from the very front of the toilet bowl. To optimize this measurement, consider the average height of household members and place it eight to 10 inches from the front of the bowl for shorter users and households with kids; place it 10 to 12 inches in front of the bowl for households consisting of taller members.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3301 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:
There are standards for these sorts of things!

quote:
According to the National Kitchen and Bath Association, a wall-mounted toilet paper holder works best if installed 26 inches above the floor, on center. "On center" means that the center of the holder, as opposed to the bottom or top of it, is 26 inches above the floor. This installation height works well with standard as well as comfort height, or handicapped, toilets.

The other important measurement is that it should be placed eight to 12 inches, on center, from the toilet to the facing wall. Measure from the very front of the toilet bowl. To optimize this measurement, consider the average height of household members and place it eight to 10 inches from the front of the bowl for shorter users and households with kids; place it 10 to 12 inches in front of the bowl for households consisting of taller members.

Remarkably similar (or identical) to the ADA specs I found, which won’t work in our bathroom, unfortunately. Google was the first source I consulted.

-Rob

A=A

Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
Hell, more often than not, we end up leaving the roll on the floor next to the pot. Wind off whatcha need, put it back down.

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Do not care what direction it come off of the roll or it is sitting on top of the water tank. As long as I can reach it and it is availabe I do not care............................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2008 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post