SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any forestry workers here? Tree cutter/mulcher questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any forestry workers here? Tree cutter/mulcher questions Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Guy I do a lot of maintenance work for is buying a mini excavator and wants to do brush/lot clearing with it.

He says he saw a combination unit on YouTube that will both cut and mulch trees.

I can find a rotary disc unit that will cut or cut and mulch depending on which side of the disc you use. Rotates clockwise as viewed from the operator station, left side cuts and throw chips away from the machine, right side cuts and pulls material into the disc and mulches it.

If I understood him correctly, he's looking for a machine with a separate shear or blade and a drum-style mulching head.

Any experience, sources or links to videos appreciated.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15250 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have had two used on my property. One is rotary drum, the other is like a bush hog on steroids. They will cut 6" trees and shred them.
https://www.skidpro.com/skid-s...strial-brush-cutter/
https://www.bing.com/images/se...t=0&eim=0,1,8&sim=11

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Similar and highly effective, but he needs one to work on an excavator boom. No skid steer. No plans to buy one that I know of.

Posts: 15250 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Well we need more info. A mini excavator is a different unit than one that will mulch brush in my experience. A ME like a Kubota will cost something in the neighborhood of $60k at a minimum. You can push tree's over and stack them in to piles, blade trails, roads, etc.

I have not used, but have seen the unit's linked (skidsteer) to in the previous thread. They work, sort of. The land clearing aftermath they leave is not pretty. I am not a real fan of that myself.

There are clipper tree cutting machines but you are getting in to industrial logging equipment at that point.

What is his fascination with mulching at the point of dealing with an excavator?
Seem's like a silly hippie idea Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19196 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I’ve seen what Paul is talking about, they have been working the interstates and they have a bobcat thing with a boom kinda like a backhoe but the impliment is a giant grinder...they just run it up the limb and it grinds the limb into chips.

Figured it out, it’s called a forest mulcher... Look

Or This

I googled “mulcher attachments for excavators”

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11292 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Figured it out, it’s called a forest mulcher... Look

Or This

I googled “mulcher attachments for excavators”

Yup, them.

He's a builder, wants the mini ex to dig his own footings and well/electric lines. I think the cutter/mulcher is sort of a "as long as I'm at it" kind of thing.

Also suspect it's a year end tax thing.

Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Don't know much about mini-ex's but those shredder heads take a lot of gpm.. Do the mini-ex's have that much?

A friend of mine has the big boss Kubota skid steer and his forestry head will kill the motor if he isn't careful

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:
Don't know much about mini-ex's but those shredder heads take a lot of gpm.. Do the mini-ex's have that much?

A friend of mine has the big boss Kubota skid steer and his forestry head will kill the motor if he isn't careful

According to the info on the Rut Manufacturing website, they can build them to run on as little as 13 gpm. The mini he's looking at is rated at 20.