SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My new chicken coop, or...you construction guys have all my respect
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My new chicken coop, or...you construction guys have all my respect Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
I've been wanting to get some laying hens for a number of years, but just never really got the itch to build a coop until this year. I figured with everything going on in the world I probably better shit or get off the pot.

If I learned anything from my dad, it was that if you're going to build something you damned sure need to over-engineer and over-build it. He'd be proud of this project. Big Grin

After well in excess of $1000 in lumber, wire, screws, nails, etc..., trying to cut off my finger with a sawzall, and piercing my nose (unintentionally) with hardware cloth, here is my new chicken coop (or as my lady friend calls it, the chicken condo).

And, yeah, you guys who work construction for a living have all my respect. That is some got-damned hard work (and dangerous). It makes me really happy I earn a living inside sitting on my ass. Big Grin

I still have a little bit of trim to put on and painting to do, but she's ready for the birds that'll be here tomorrow. Four 20 week old Rhode Island Reds.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I would never have guessed you for a guy who keeps chickens.

Posts: 107574 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I would never have guessed you for a guy who keeps chickens.

Well, I grew up raising them. Haven't done so since, other than broilers every year. They're easy though...feed 'em for seven weeks and knock 'em in the head.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife has became a chicken nut over the last year. The eggs are fantastic to have and they do great work in our flower beds. I’ll admit I really do enjoy having them. I was originally going to build an over engineered house but my procrastination and the price of lumber led me to a cheaper coop from tractor supply. This worked out better because for us because it gave my wife an opportunity to learn what she did and didn’t want in a coop. Maybe this fall I’ll get around to it. Yours looks great.

Posts: 578 | Location: East Texas | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Do you recall PHPauls awsome chicken plucker? Nice work BTW.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Do you recall PHPauls awsome chicken plucker?

I do. I actually had built one before he did. I've since gifted that one to some friends and bought a stainless steel one for myself. Got a great price on it a couple of years ago and it'll do two birds in about 15 seconds.

Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yours looks great.

you could list that with AirBnB for rural getaways. Complete with feather pillows.

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know much about chickens or bears but I have heard of bears trying to get into chicken coops. Any danger of that where you live?

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
That is a work of art bro
You will need to free range them daily, that’s what I do
Less stress, happy chicks and nonstop eggs
Plus it’s a stress reliever to just watch them pecking around
I get too attached to a dog as much as I want one
When they die, I go into depression
Chickens tho, well it’s time to get another
They’re great to have
Yours are gonna be spoiled

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.

Posts: 1308 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gene Hillman:
I don't know much about chickens or bears but I have heard of bears trying to get into chicken coops. Any danger of that where you live?

I've had two come through (that I know of). One surprised me early one morning when I went out to get some wood for the fire, and another one got into my bee hives a few years back. Not too worried about them.

In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Looks great. Here's mine when it was about 3/4 of the way done. I added a run that is about 24x16'

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
Everything loves chicken…

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.

Posts: 1308 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
Here's mine when it was about 3/4 of the way done.

Holy crap! That's a cabin. Big Grin

Mine's only 6X12. The hen house is 4X6. Plenty big for my needs.

In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
Here's mine when it was about 3/4 of the way done.

Holy crap! That's a cabin. Big Grin

Mine's only 6X12. The hen house is 4X6. Plenty big for my needs.

Yeah I tend to subscribe to the go big or go home mentality haha. And I wanted a lot of birds. Started with 15 of them.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
My daughters raise chickens for 4H. Of course it was up to dad to make the coop. Being the lazy guy I am, I just bought a 10x10 fancy plastic shed (has windows and stuff and is normally used for lawn mowers and yard stuff), made a bunch of egg laying boxes and added some roosting beams. During nice weather the double doors stay open and stays pretty warm in winter.

Ended up being way cheaper and easier than if I built a coop from scratch and looks better in suburban yard. Cleans easier too since it's all plastic, I just whip out the power sprayer and blast everything.

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past Master
Picture of yucaipa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I figured with everything going on in the world .

If you can get your family to the kitchen table without going to the "grocery store" you're doing great.

Harry S. Truman

www.CrossCountryQuilting.com
"Deep in the heart of the Ozarks"

Posts: 3967 | Location: Boone County, Arkansas | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Did you have to pull permits for that?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I assume you mean a building permit?

No. Not around these parts.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Nice work!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great job.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post