SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    VA won’t pay for feeding tube liquid for Army’s ‘most wounded commander in history’
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

VA won’t pay for feeding tube liquid for Army’s ‘most wounded commander in history’ Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
Words do not convey the sense of outrage I feel.

quote:
www.americanmilitarynews.com: Army Maj. Dennis “DJ” Skelton says the VA won’t pay for his feeding tube liquid

By Peter Reid · November 27, 2017

In an open letter to the VA published on Foreign Policy [posted below], Army Maj. Dennis “DJ” Skelton, also known by a moniker as the “most wounded commander in U.S. military history,” said he was told by the Department of Veterans Affairs that they wouldn’t be paying for his feeding tube liquid.

Skelton said he was told by the VA to go to his local hospital’s emergency room to get a feeding tube placed in his stomach due to his “shot-up palate deteriorating,” making it difficult for him to either eat or drink.

“I hear nothing afterwards about when you might be shipping cans of Ensure, Jevity or something […] to my house so I can have something to eat through said tube,” Skelton wrote to the VA. “But it is the same system as last time and the same process as we discussed right before going into surgery. Except this time you have decided that there is a better brand of feeding tube liquid than Jevity (from last time) and you persuaded me to switch to Diabetisource brand.”

Skelton said six days after the surgery, he received a letter from the VA saying that Diabetisource was not covered by the VA and that he would have to pay for it on his own.

“So when the Secretary of the VA’s front office called me last week to inquire if any of my current problems were in any way the fault of the VA — the answer is YES,” Skelton wrote.

“I see this as a teaching moment for both the VA and my friends,” Skelton wrote. “But please, we don’t need to use my case to shed light on everything that is wrong with the system. Just throw one or two problems at me at a time, OK? Thank you.”

Army Maj. Dennis “DJ” Skelton graduated from the United States Military Academy in 2003 and became the leader of a Stryker platoon while stationed at Fort Lewis, Washington, which has since been renamed Joint Base Lewis-McChord.

In Sept. 2004, Skelton deployed to Iraq and took part in the Second Battle of Fallujah. On Nov. 6, 2004, while at an intersection, Skelton and his fellow soldiers engaged the enemy located on the other side of a freeway.

Skelton was critically wounded in the firefight, getting hit by a number of rounds and a rocket-propelled grenade (RPG).

One soldier helped keep him alive by “using a spent .50-caliber round as an airway” and performing a field tracheotomy, according to an Army release.

“I was hit in that firefight … I happened to be standing beside a cement pylon and the next thing I knew, it was pitch dark,” Skelton said. “I couldn’t see anything. I couldn’t feel anything. I felt like I was floating through space. One of the last things I remember was hearing one of my Soldiers say, ‘I think the lieutenant’s dead.’ At that time, a switch flipped, and I began to feel the most intense pain of my life.”

A round pierced Skelton’s face, went through his cheek, tumbled downwards into his mouth, destroying it as well as his soft palate. After that, it exited out of his left eye socket.

He had taken an AK-47 round through his upper left arm and was struck by an RPG.

“My left arm was destroyed. My hand was intact, but everything from the wrist to the elbow was destroyed,” Skelton said in the release. “The head of the RPG broke and went through my right leg. My ammunition belt got hot and began cooking off. Those rounds, along with various enemy AK-47 rounds, went through my right arm and left shoulder.”

Less than 10 minutes after getting hit, Skelton was at a nearby combat support hospital and was later taken to Walter Reed Army Medical Center, in Washington, D.C., spending months recovering from his injuries.

Skelton later worked to return to service after being subjected to a medical evaluation board. He later co-founded Paradox Sports, “a nonprofit organization that provides inspiration, opportunities, and adaptive equipment to the disabled community, empowering their pursuit of a life of excellence.”

According to Skelton’s biography on Paradox Sports:

“Since his recovery at Walter Reed, DJ dedicated himself to advancing the causes of wounded vets, authoring Our Hero Handbook, a comprehensive guide to assist wounded service members and their families in their recovery and rehabilitation. DJ also served as a military advisor to Deputy Secretary of Defense Gordon England on veterans’ affairs and care for wounded service members. DJ returned to Monterey, CA in 2008 to command Echo Company of the 229th MI BN at DLIFLC. He was also the Associate Dean for the Middle East School. He returned to the Pentagon in 2010 to serve as a Special Assistant to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff ADM Mike Mullen, advising on veteran transition issues, wounded warrior policy and improving services to military families. DJ also served as a Non-Resident Military Fellow at the Center for a New American Security, leading the “silent wounds” project on post-traumatic growth for the center.

After six years of continual surgeries, rehab and recovery, DJ returned to the Infantry, completed the Infantry Captains Career Course at Ft. Benning, GA, was assigned to the 2nd Cavalry Regiment (CR) in Vilseck, Germany, and deployed to Afghanistan in 2011 as the Commander of Comanche Troop, 1st Squadron, 2nd CR in Panjway, Afghanistan. Upon redeployment, DJ was selected to serve as a China Foreign Area Officer (FAO). He completed Command and General Staff College and spent a year in Beijing, China conducting in-region training as a FAO.

DJ is fluent in Chinese, is one of the youngest graduates of Harvard’s Senior Executive Fellowship program, and is the Co-Founder of Paradox Sports, a non-profit organization that provides inspiration, opportunities, and adaptive equipment to the disabled community, empowering their pursuit of a life of excellence.

DJ currently serves on active duty and is attending the Naval Postgraduate School pursuing a Master’s in International Relations. He lives in Monterey, CA with his wife Tucker and son Dakota.”

The Open Letter at http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/...en-letter-to-the-va/

quote:
Dear VA,

On Saturday you had me go to the emergency room at my local hospital to place a feeding tube in my stomach because, with my shot-up palate deteriorating, it is getting dangerous again for me to eat or drink through the mouth.

I hear nothing afterwards about when you might be shipping cans of Ensure, Jevity or something etc. to my house so I can have something to eat through said tube. But it is the same system as last time and the same process as we discussed right before going into surgery. Except this time you have decided that there is a better brand of feeding tube liquid than Jevity (from last time) and you persuaded me to switch to Diabetisource brand.

So today, six days post-surgery, I received a letter from you informing me that the brand you recommended to me, Diabetisource, is actually not covered by the VA and I need to go find and pay for my own feeding tube liquid on my own.

So when the Secretary of the VA’s front office called me last week to inquire if any of my current problems were in any way the fault of the VA — the answer is YES!

I am fully aware of the fact that one can survive for two weeks without food, but come on! (Btw, thanks to Price Floyd for letting me use your turkey baster when I was in D.C. this week.)

I see this as a teaching moment for both the VA and my friends. But please, we don’t need to use my case to shed light on everything that is wrong with the system. Just throw one or two problems at me at a time, OK? Thank you.

Ironically I’m writing this on a train as I travel to West Point to help write a chapter on “resilience” for their new Psychology textbook. And now I’m giggling, which is extremely painful since I have a fresh hole in my stomach.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32050 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
We give billions to shit hole countries each year, many of whom are barely not enemies, and yet we continue to treat our veterans like shit, and it's as wrong as wrong gets.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The VA apparatus - as a healthcare delivery system - should be completely abolished.

VA patients should be able to seek quality care of their own choosing as patients in their communities.

No more wasting away in the bureaucracy of the VA system built on inefficiency and waste.

Take all the money wasted on VA red-tape, infrastructure, etc and use that to pay 125% of Medicare rates for service.

I bet hospitals would fall all over themselves to take very good care of VA patients with no waiting.

----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
We give billions to shit hole countries each year, many of whom are barely not enemies, and yet we continue to treat our veterans like shit, and it's as wrong as wrong gets.

The anger I feel is palatable. Your words echo my feelings.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16533 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
I fixed it. Just tweeted @realdonaldtrump

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3817 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
The VA apparatus - as a healthcare delivery system - should be completely abolished.

VA patients should be able to seek quality care of their own choosing as patients in their communities.

No more wasting away in the bureaucracy of the VA system built on inefficiency and waste.

Take all the money wasted on VA red-tape, infrastructure, etc and use that to pay 125% of Medicare rates for service.

I bet hospitals would fall all over themselves to take very good care of VA patients with no waiting.

----------------------------

Absolutely.

I've mentioned before, one of the most depressing places I've ever been is every VA ER I have ever seen. Often times, in mere seconds you can see decades of how fucked up it all is.

Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Veterans Administration; allowing you to die twice for your country since 1930.

Nothing is too good for our veterans, and that is exactly what they get; NOTHING!!! Mad

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2808 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Playing the other side of the argument for a moment:

If he could eat normal (solid) food, should the VA pay?

My opinion is the government should pay the difference between the cost of feeding tube liquid and COMRATS (which I believe is currently referred to as something else).

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14160 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
The formula for care for veterans ought to be unbelievably simple:

Did you serve your country, and sustain a physical injury or have a mental issue while and related to serving, and were you discharged honorably?

Yes?

Then 100% of your related medical expenses ought to be covered for the rest of your life, from the providers of your choice.

Whatever exaggerations and fraud that may occur is insignificant in comparison to the unforgivable horror of how we currently treat them. Don't fuck them over, or drown them in mediocrity, reward their service by a genuine attempt to make them whole again.

The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

<<snip>>

That's nice, they don't have enough help. Roll Eyes

Posts: 6513 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:

My opinion is the government should pay the difference between the cost of feeding tube liquid and COMRATS (which I believe is currently referred to as something else).

Generally, I have no problem looking at the other side of an argument.

In this instance, I considered this:

quote:
A round pierced Skelton’s face, went through his cheek, tumbled downwards into his mouth, destroying it as well as his soft palate. After that, it exited out of his left eye socket.

He clearly could have taken medical retirement but instead, he persevered and is back on active duty. The VA should pay for his feeding tube liquid without any conditions or cost-splitting.

Posts: 7387 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wishfull thinker:
quote:

<<snip>>

That's nice, they don't have enough help. Roll Eyes

As someone who was inn theater for Desert Storm and twice for Iraqi Freedom, i can do that. Wink

Besides, I am sure there are others here with a Purple Heart and/ or otherwise disabled as a result of their service who don't get their daily food paid for because of said disability.

Not slamming you for your comment (I was waiting for it) nor the Major in the open letter. Just noting the finer points of being wounded in action. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Posts: 14160 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:
quote:

Generally, I have no problem looking at the other side of an argument.

In this instance, I considered this:

quote:

He clearly could have taken medical retirement but instead, he persevered and is back on active duty. The VA should pay for his feeding tube liquid without any conditions or cost-splitting.

No sir, he was medically retired (80% i believe - could be 90%).

If he was on active duty he'd be treated at a navy or army hospital and on limited or restricted duty.

Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
No sir, he was medically retired (80% i believe - could be 90%).

If he was on active duty he'd be treated at a navy or army hospital and on limited or restricted duty.

I based that on the following from the article:

quote:
DJ currently serves on active duty and is attending the Naval Postgraduate School pursuing a Master’s in International Relations. He lives in Monterey, CA with his wife Tucker and son Dakota.”

If I somehow misinterpreted his status, my apologies. In either case, I believe the VA should pay the total cost of his feeding tube liquid.

Posts: 7387 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
It seems they are saying the deteriorating pallet is not s "Service Related" issue...

Posts: 8726 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
If ever there were a need for crowd funding, this is it.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
"Besides, I am sure there are others here with a Purple Heart and/ or otherwise disabled as a result of their service who don't get their daily food paid for because of said disability."

If their wounds rendered them unable to eat normal food and they have to live on liquid food, it seems to me the VA ought to pay for it. Naturally it wouldn't make sense for a vet to have their food paid for if their injuries weren't the reason for needing a special diet administered through a feeding tube.

Posts: 27180 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
We who earn and pay taxes, support able bodied lazy fucks, we should damned well support the needs of any and all vets before a damned red cent is put in the fat palms of the parasites.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44496 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
When we send our best into combat, they get things done no matter what. We should take care of them the same way. It's not like the guy is asking for an SUV. He is asking to live.

I don't particularly care if what he needs is not directly related to his service. If not for his service related injuries, he would be able to work and pay for the food himself.

Take care of him.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Very sad to hear. Yet taxpayers pay for liver transplants and sex change operations for felons in prison. How messed up is that?

Posts: 9848 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post