SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Small 2.8 Earthquake Today in St Louis MO
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Small 2.8 Earthquake Today in St Louis MO Login/Join 
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted
The last time I actually felt an earthquake was about 50 years ago.

Tonight at about 5 pm my wife got off the sofa and it hit. Our floors shook, we heard a boom, and I teasingly blamed her - she’ll never let me forget that one.

Seriously we have the new Madrid fault south of us in Cape Girardeau. I believe it was the 3rd highest recorded earthquake in US history.

This one was centered just 11 miles from our home.

Posts: 3725 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
The last time I actually felt an earthquake was about 50 years ago.

Tonight at about 5 pm my wife got off the sofa and it hit. Our floors shook, we heard a boom, and I teasingly blamed her - she’ll never let me forget that one.

Seriously we have the new Madrid fault south of us in Cape Girardeau. I believe it was the 3rd highest recorded earthquake in US history.

This one was centered just 11 miles from our home.
I was outside firing up the grill and heard a huge boom but didn’t feel anything. I went inside and asked the wife if she noticed anything, not a thing.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
I’m really curious what the source of the boom was.

Posts: 3725 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
California guy checking to see if you guys are ok after a 2.8 Razz

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3485 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smile
Me tossing my shoes in the closet causes a 2.8
Smile

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54647 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Like I said, my wife got off the sofa, there was a big boom, and the floor shook. That’s my story and I’m sticking with it Wink

Ps: thank goodness she doesn’t have a sigforum account.

posted Hide Post
My 12 year old called me to tell me the house shook. He said it was like a loud thunder clap, but longer. When I got home, I saw on the news it was an earthquake. When I told him what it was, he was pretty excited he felt it.

Posts: 2157 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Now our local news is bringing up the 1811 to 1812 earthquakes which ranged from 7.0 to 7.8.

posted Hide Post
Where’s Iben Browning when you need him?

Posts: 2157 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
The house shook. The glass fixtures almost broke. Dishes shifted. People flew out of homes. And in a moment it was over.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Felt nothing but heard a deep thump if not a boom.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
quote:

The initial compression wave (p-wave) during a seismic event can sometimes be heard, particularly if there's an inversion layer in the atmosphere for it to reflect off of. The frequency of the wave is usually at the low end of human hearing, but sometimes it is audible. Animals tend to be more sensitive to it. You'll often hear reports of animals acting strangely just before a large quake hits, and it's speculated that they are responding to the initial p-wave arrivals before the surface waves (i.e. ground motion) hit.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5283 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^^Yep indeed. I was walking down the sidewalk in October 1989 and heard this high-pitched whine. I knew what P-waves were, so I said to myself, "we're about to get a big one". Sure enough, a couple seconds later the 6.9 Loma Prieta hit, almost knocking me to the ground.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16357 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
I was sitting in a chair and heard a loud thud and my chair seemed to bounce a bit. Rather creepy.

Posts: 7314 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I was in Hawaii in 2018 during the long running Leilani Estates flow and stationed at the summit of Kilauea. Underground magma draining away to the coast caused the caldera to subside very consistently- every single day there would be a good sized quake between 6 and about 6.3 magnitude. The entire caldera would drop about 6 feet- if you were near the summit it was the best show; you could hear an audible “knock” sound followed by several seconds of shaking while the caldera settled.

It was a very cool experience and I tried to time being there which was fairly easy; the cycle was just over 24 hours. After each big temblor there would be a few hours of barely perceptible shakes that over the period would grow stronger and more frequent culminating in the big shake with the “knock” sound.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaaron11:
quote:

The initial compression wave (p-wave) during a seismic event can sometimes be heard, particularly if there's an inversion layer in the atmosphere for it to reflect off of. The frequency of the wave is usually at the low end of human hearing, but sometimes it is audible. Animals tend to be more sensitive to it. You'll often hear reports of animals acting strangely just before a large quake hits, and it's speculated that they are responding to the initial p-wave arrivals before the surface waves (i.e. ground motion) hit.

Thank you for the explanation!

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post