SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shredding services for small business
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shredding services for small business Login/Join 
posted
Best companies and suggestions. One time or every few months? My bank and brokerage firms have cut back on the Free Services. By the pound or per box. Has PHI and other confidential documents. Investment in a personal shredder is not cost effective in time or money, unless the government has some on sale from the Ollie North era. Thanks

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Best companies and suggestions. One time or every few months? My bank and brokerage firms have cut back on the Free Services. By the pound or per box. Has PHI and other confidential documents. Investment in a personal shredder is not cost effective in time or money, unless the government has some on sale from the Ollie North era. Thanks

We keep several bins for paper. Destruction and recycling. The destruction bin is a large plastic garbage bin. It is locked and there is a large slot in the lid so documents are somewhat secure during the month.International Paper picks up our bins about monthy

Posts: 1823 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The UPS Store where I have my account offers shredding service.

I do not know whether this service is offered at all locations.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31385 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
How much paper are we talking about?

Posts: 13063 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Shred then burn

Posts: 5910 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Low Country, SC. | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:

Shred then burn
Reminds me of a cartoon I saw years ago. The Viking raiding party was getting a pre-action briefing, and the briefer said, "Now remember: First pillage, THEN burn!"

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31385 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Find one you can watch it be destroyed. The ones here are filled with thousands of pallets waiting to be shredded. Quite a backlog.

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
How much paper are we talking about

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
40 banker boxes stuffed full and more to come in future.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
On-site shredding usually costs significantly more at least around me. I figured sticking with a reputable company would reduce the risk.

Posts: 1823 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
How much paper are we talking about

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
40 banker boxes stuffed full and more to come in future.

How many banker boxes per month are you anticipating going forward?

If I anticipated a high volume of shredding going forward, I would just invest in a high capacity, auto feed shredder and do the 40 boxes myself over a period of time.

If the 40 boxes you have built up now is unusual, and your monthly rate is only 1-2 banker boxes going forward, I'd pay for a local service (look on Yelp) to clear the backlog and then spend a couple of hundred bucks for a regular heavy duty office shredder to take care of the shredding going forward.

A monthly service makes sense if you've got a bunch of people in your office and you don't want to buy and maintain a bunch of shredders throughout the office. The service will place bins and pick up the periodically.

Posts: 13063 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If the 40 boxes you have built up now is unusual, and your monthly rate is only 1-2 banker boxes going forward, I'd pay for a local service (look on Yelp) to clear the backlog and then spend a couple of hundred bucks for a regular heavy duty office shredder to take care of the shredding going forward.

^^^^^^^
Makes sense. I will call and get quotes tomorrow. It then becomes a math and cubic foot problem.
Thanks

posted Hide Post
quote:
Reminds me of a cartoon I saw years ago. The Viking raiding party was getting a pre-action briefing, and the briefer said, "Now remember: First pillage, THEN burn!"

^^^
I did consider a pillage and burn party, but I do not have the property available. It would be fun though.

Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
My local county Board of MR/DD runs a shredder truck. It's cheap, they come to your place,

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless your volume is ridiculous for a small business I suggest you just get a good shredder. commercial grade.
but if that's out you will simply have to call around for the best price.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11164 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
We use "Shred-it". They place a locked bin in the office and come by on a schedule of our choosing. they charge a very reasonable amount and shred the docs in the parking lot.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3794 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I burn enough here it all becomes ashes. That’s mostly in the woodstove. That may not be practical with boxes of papers.

Posts: 6392 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Called Shred it. Reasonable cost. Easy to deal with. No contract needed.

Thanks for all the help guys.