SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A plumbing question for the forum
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A plumbing question for the forum Login/Join 
Caught in a loop
posted
There are many knowledgeable folks trawling this forum, so I'm hoping one has an answer for my little conundrum.

About 2-3 times a year my personal bathroom sink drain closes off completely. It usually ends up with me pouring collectively about a can of crystal Draino down there, then getting frustrated and carefully draining everything into a bucket, disassembling the drain line, and sticking a snake down there, which punches a hole in whatever is blocking it up, allowing it to drain and kicking the can (so to speak) down the road a few months.

It's probably worth noting that the AC drain line connects up to my sink in particular.

When I pull said snake out of the wall, it's typically covered in what looks like congealed bacon fat. I believe this compound (whatever it is) is to blame for stopping it up. (It is worth noting here that to my knowledge nobody has ever used this sink to dump animal drippings, liquid or otherwise, down this sink.)

I actually tried using a drain bladder for the first time this weekend, and was disappointed to find that either the diameter of the pipe is small enough to clear the bladder but not the hose fitting, or if I disassemble the drain there isn't enough straight pipe for the thing to get a proper purchase.

I'm running out of ideas (patience went when I couldn't get the bladder to work without dumping a ton of water at my feet).

Any suggestions?

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3374 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it's your AC line causing the problem peroxide will often dissolve the algae/gunk that can build up. Other thing that crossed my mind is maybe a thick shaving cream or something that builds up?

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I typically don't use shaving cream.

I'll give the peroxide a go when I get home. Now that I think about it, I probably should have saved a sample of the goo to try stuff on.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3374 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
it could be that another sink (kitchen) drains into this same line...and you are actually getting grease in the line.

Dunno where the sink is in relation to your other plumbing...

Typically, several items drain into one line and then it heads to the sewer/septic...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11458 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
When I moved into my house I worked on some drain lines and they were filled with black goo. I used a bacterial drain cleaning product like this and now my drain lines have none of it.

http://www.roebic.com/targeted...rial-solutions.shtml

Posts: 7631 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
If you are going the drain cleaner route, there are really only two options: ( Pick one or the other not both )
1. Attack with acidic treatment
2. Attack with basic treatment

There are pros and cons to each. I typically go with option 2 as it is a bit more forgiving to the human body and metal plumbing/fixtures in general.

So, for option 2, look for things with sodium hydroxide (NaOH) or potassium hydroxide (KOH) early in the contents list. For the more seasoned, you may remember lye or lye soap. That has a high sodium hydroxide level.

With either method, follow the directions, limit your exposure to product and fumes as a result of use, then flush with lots of water.

Method 1 does a great job of dissolving hair clogs or food type clogs. Since it is an acid, be careful when adding water. It is best to add acid to water not water to acid. The product will likely contain sulfuric acid (H₂SO₄) or possibly hydrochloric acid (HCl)

Method 2 does a great job of softening hair clogs and does well with fat/grease clogs.

If these fail (and eventually that is likely) one must snake or replace to clear.

Edited to add text in red

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ffips,

Posts: 3580 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I guess I have a few more things to add to the list of things to try. Thanks guys.

I completely forgot to mention that this is on the second floor. Single family home, so only one kitchen, and it's below the bathroom in question.

posted Hide Post
Try running a zip it down the drain. They're $3 at Home Depot and usually work really well for bathroom sinks.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had this happen to the floor drain that the humidifier and condensate drain for the AC unit go into from our furnace.

I believe it is some sort of algae or mold. Mine was pretty clear, and very gelatinous.

I cleaned it out with a snake to open the drain and then used hot water directly from the hot water heater drain to flush it really good.

I keep an eye on it now, and it hasn't returned and as a preventative I pour a strong bleach and water solution down both the humidifier drain and AC condensate drain line once a year.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Be careful if you try different things to open up the initial clog. Not a good idea to combine different products in a pipe that's not free flowing.

I don't have any first-hand experience and thus can't give a brand recommendation, but you can buy tablets to put in your AC drain pan to prevent algae from growing in the pipes.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:
I had this happen to the floor drain that the humidifier and condensate drain for the AC unit go into from our furnace.

I believe it is some sort of algae or mold. Mine was pretty clear, and very gelatinous.

I cleaned it out with a snake to open the drain and then used hot water directly from the hot water heater drain to flush it really good.

I keep an eye on it now, and it hasn't returned and as a preventative I pour a strong bleach and water solution down both the humidifier drain and AC condensate drain line once a year.

Ditto, I pour bleach in the pump for my condensation reservoir in my basement every month. The previous pump got severely clogged from algae, as I did not know to pour just a small cup in the pump every month.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:

Your house has a hot water heater? Mine only has a cold water heater. Razz

Smartass alert! Sorry, couldn’t resist, since I say hot water heater all the time. I also can’t stop myself from saying ATM machine.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8272 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
Be careful if you try different things to open up the initial clog.

This is extremely important. This thread has many recommendations of incompatible chemicals. Whatever you try, make sure you don't try one after the other. Give it days with lots of water between. It is very easy to build up toxic gases in the pipe.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12605 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
About once-a-week or so simply fill the sink with hot water from the tap and, once it's full, open the drain. Let the hot water continue to run until the sink has drained.

Might keep it clear.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind that liquids only clean out a small portion of the drain on the bottom of the pipe.

A good rotary snake will help scrape the walls of the pipe. I have heard of the stuff previously mentioned that eats the gunk, but no experience with it.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
An AC draining into a copper line will grow algae. Kinda hard to understand how grease could get in there, you said bathroom not kitchen, right?

So bleach or white vinegar should keep the algae at bay. So once you have it cleared pour in a good cup full of either and that should keep this flowing. Flush with a good pint to quart of water after letting it soak for a few minutes.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
I keep used dryer sheets and place one over my bathroom sink drain when I shave. This has significantly reduced the interval of having to clean out the drain.

Posts: 9253 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
An AC draining into a copper line will grow algae. Kinda hard to understand how grease could get in there, you said bathroom not kitchen, right?

So bleach or white vinegar should keep the algae at bay. So once you have it cleared pour in a good cup full of either and that should keep this flowing. Flush with a good pint to quart of water after letting it soak for a few minutes.

Correct. Upstairs bathroom, kitchen is below it. Thick, opaque white sludge.

I dumped a thing of peroxide down there this afternoon. I'll let it sit till tomorrow before I go back at it again.

It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Yum. Bio slime.

Just go full on assault at it. Drano it a few times, then every week, hit it with a mixture of vinegar, hot water, and baking soda...and maybe bleach for good measure. This is war.

There must be some sort of deposits on the insides of the pipes that are giving the slime an area to build up.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vulrath:
I actually tried using a drain bladder for the first time this weekend, and was disappointed to find that either the diameter of the pipe is small enough to clear the bladder but not the hose fitting, or if I disassemble the drain there isn't enough straight pipe for the thing to get a proper purchase.

The hose doesn't have to be inserted into the drain, just the bladder. It swells up and then the pressure clears the line.
Just be sure to plug/cover the sink's overflow port. Wink

If you want to snake one down a drain, try a Drain Dawg.
http://controlscentral.com/eCa...xEAQYASABEgJbQ_D_BwE

Posts: 10061 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post