SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best Roku Model Right Now?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Roku Model Right Now? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
We have a Roku3 that’s getting a bit long in the tooth and is starting to act a little flaky, I think it’s time to finally replace it.

What’s the best model for the money right now? Since the Roku3 I see they come in stick format now as well as the little box like ours is.

Thanks!

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I'm very happy with the ultta I have. Get the newset model that comes with the JBL headphones.

BTW I got the ultra because I wanted a model with Ethernet since I hate WiFi for things like video.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I suspect the Streaming Stick®+ or Premiere+ would be the best, the Ultra is the actual best but as they flaunt including a $40 pair of headphones I don't think it's a great value for money.

that said those all have some pretty high end functions, what kind of TV have you got?

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
I suspect the Streaming Stick®+ or Premiere+ would be the best, the Ultra is the actual best but as they flaunt including a $40 pair of headphones I don't think it's a great value for money.

that said those all have some pretty high end functions, what kind of TV have you got?

Nothing special, just a 42 inch Philips HDTV bought Black Friday 2014

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Roku Ultra on Black Friday when I also picked up our 65" LG 4k television. Our old Roku 2 didn't support 4k streaming. Since this is my first 4k TV, I didn't want to miss out. It works very well for that.

So far, so good.

While the voice search is nice, I rarely remember to use it. I LOVE the lost remote feature. The unit has a button that makes the remote start chirping. HANDY.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Roku Ultra with the advanced remote that has voice search and other stuff is super fast and very reliable. I expanded the memory with a 2GB micro SD card, so no storage worries.

I recently cancelled TV so I use this thing all the time. I may be overly impressed because I came up from a Roku 1 that was malfunctioning, but I cannot stress how fast and reliable this unit is. I have it in the bedroom away from my router so I'm using wireless (5ghz wireless AC or N, I forget) and it streams HD flawless. It claims it has enough horsepower to run 4K if you have a tv and HDMI that supports it. My tv only does HD so I haven't tested that feature.

Not sure if they do it every year, or even if you are willing to wait but I got mine half price around the holidays last year. It was the newest model with headphones that can be plugged into the remote. But they did run out fast. Few days after I bought the first one I went back to buy a second and they were sold out.

Thinking back now, the holidays last year was a very good time for streamers. I got the Roku Ultra for 50 bucks and limited commercials HULU for 99 cents a month for a year.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
just picked up the streaming stick+ (one below the box) to replace a roku 2....lovely. Our 3 is still working great but the streaming stick is so much faster. I made sure to get the one with the "advanced" wifi dongle and the receptions rocks.

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
I LOVE the lost remote feature. The unit has a button that makes the remote start chirping. HANDY.

why this isn't a standard feature in more electronics boggles my mind.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
quote:
I LOVE the lost remote feature. The unit has a button that makes the remote start chirping. HANDY.

Yes damnit.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
Does it need to be Roku?

I recently became a cord cutter, and after much research I went with the Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K, and I'm very happy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/Introdu...=amazon+fire+&sr=8-1

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me and the old lady had a pizza/movie night for valentines day.
Used the Roku Ultra

We rented on movie from Redbox On Demand. Felt like a second movie. I used the Roku voice search and it found us another flick we wanted to see. $5.99 everywhere except Google Play where it was $1.99 for HD. It aint perfect but can find gems on occasion.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

We use the Roku iPhone app that has a virtual remote on it since our two little boys are always playing with and losing the hardware remote Razz

Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
My "wife" and "I" have the Roku Ultra and are very happy with it. It works great for our needs and is reasonable for the features it provides.

Posts: 3852 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
quote:

We use the Roku iPhone app that has a virtual remote on it since our two little boys are always playing with and losing the hardware remote Razz

I also use that on occasion, but it seems like you are just asking to lose your phone.

My wife uses this app to screw with me while I’m trying to watch something more often than I use it, anyway.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
My stick plus works every bit as well as my 2 Ultras. Only reason I bought the Ultras was they were compatible with my expensive remotes.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
I got the Roku Ultra 4661R for $50 not too long ago. Sadly had to replace my Nvidia Shield (killed by lightning) with it. Works great though. Just wish it passed through HD DTS and trueHD DD like the Shield did.

Never tried the stick versions but for $50 - this thing is snappy navigating menus, and has performed without a hitch so far. I previously had a Roku 3 (still use it on another tv) and the only reason I ever switched to the Shield was Roku had a horrible DTS audio sync issue at one point, and took way too long to fix it.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a Roku Ultra for a 4k TV and so far I am fairly happy with it.

I have the Roku 3 on an older TV and I really don't see the ultra being that much of an improvement.

The Ultra does control the power and volume of your TV which allows for a little less dual remote interaction.

The picture I am getting through the Ultra is not as good as I had expected but in fairness I haven't messed with settings yet.

In hindsight, I probably would have taken a harder look at one of the sticks for less money.

Posts: 326 | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
I bought two of the ROKU Model 3800R at Best Buy a year ago. Have worked well. No connection issues. Bought them to replace the Xfinity “jumper boxes” on a 2nd and 3rd TV which were costing us $10/ea per month, saving us $20/mo on cable bill. . We use the Xfinity App (only through ROKU) and have the same features on each TV as the main one does with primary DVR box. We can watch any DVR’d show on any TV in house. And all cable channels in our lineup.

Paid $39.99/ea.@ BB. Normal price is $49.99
At the time it was one of the newest of four units ROKU had just introduced/released.
Didn’t need 4K ability.
The remote that kids use on TV room TV seems to need batteries more than it should.
MB TV wife and I use has needed batteries once.
The ROKU phone app (separate from ROKU TV app) will do the following...
- u can use your phone as the remote
- and best of all, you can use the remote app to Bluetooth the TV audio to your favorite headset.
It mutes TV external volume and only plays in ur headset.

I actually just recently stumbled upon the BT feature. And have been using it to watch TV without disturbing the wife while she sleeps.

Well worth every penny spent.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went from a Roku3 to the Ultra. I notice a better picture on a few streaming channels than before. I like the volume and that I can turn on/off the tv with the remote.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
Does it need to be Roku?

I recently became a cord cutter, and after much research I went with the Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K, and I'm very happy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/Introdu...=amazon+fire+&sr=8-1

Yes, I really like the Roku interface and how it handles channels.

The worst I ever saw was the Chromecast. What the heck kind of crap is that?