SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dashcam Video Of Kansas Officer Shooting After Traffic Stop
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dashcam Video Of Kansas Officer Shooting After Traffic Stop Login/Join 
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I wonder if he had warrants or no license.

If he had either, this would've escalated into more than a $30 ticket. He's still a dumbass, but I think there has to be more to this.

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
The attack on the primary officer was a felony battery in addition to resisting. There were mistakes made and probably some training and policy issues but I don't believe the female officer would face any charges.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
Why do folks insist on arguing with the police? While I generally view mandatory seatbelt laws, motorcycle helmet laws & etc. an overreach of governmental authority, I certainly don't argue with an officer if/when I'm stopped. No reasonable person would. In this scenario, I question what might have happened in the days before TASER technology? I suspect a quick tap on the noggin with a black jack or sap would have resulted in rapid deescalation. This is not to say I fault the officer who fired her weapon. As far as I'm concerned, the driver is 100% responsible for the outcome.

Posts: 3503 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
20 years in LE and a big proponent of Officers using appropriate levels of force to defend themselves. One COULD argue that the suspect was on top of the officer, striking him, and in an active roadway and that she feared that her partner was in danger of being severely injured or killed. Unfortunately, she clearly yells "TASER" before firing the shot. She wasn't making a conscious decision to use deadly force based on what she perceived as a lethal threat. She went for the TASER, pulled the pistol instead, and then pulled the trigger. It's a mistake, but its a mistake that could have ended a life. It may well have ended a career.

I wouldn't expect criminal charges in a situation like this unless someone was killed. It's an accident, not an intentional act. She will likely have administrative and civil issues however.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
We need to move to new and very simple ROE for LEO's and criminals. Simple rule....Touch an officer, get shot. End of story. Things have gotten way out of control and the pendulum needs to swing back to the other side while we still have a chance to reestablish some measure of order.

And I echo echo other's comments here...over a damn seat belt ticket!. Wow!

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Taser would have been one option, but I'm fine with a gun there too. Dude was a fighting a cop...if you fight a cop, you should expect to be shot. Let's get the word out so people stop trying to fight cops.

Let's not tell cops they should "fight fair" when people hit them in the face and use a taser. That's just stupidness right there.

If was hitting a family member like that, I would have shot him for sure. Why should this cop be held to a higher standard?

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Story time.

Worst fight I ever got in was over a suspended driver's license. Ended up in a knock down drag out brawl in a pouring rain over my own pistol after the guy bailed out and started running. He slipped, I grabbed him, he grabbed my gun, and things went very bad, very quickly. We fought over the pistol for what seemed like a million years but was probably about 20 seconds. I finally managed to yank the thing back and get control over it. He then hit me right between the eyes harder than I've ever been hit before or since. I went to my knees with the gun in both hands and I guess he though I was going to shoot him because he dove into a drainage ditch and took off. I wasn't taking a kneeling shooting position, he had damned near knocked me out. Suspect got picked up a couple hours later and we found out he'd run solely because of the suspended license. No arrest history. No warrants. Nothing. He ended up with 15 years.

Shortly after that I switched from the issue duty holster that required you to strap the gun in to an ALS holster that locked when you reholster. What I THINK happened was when I bailed out of the car I'd initially drawn my weapon and reholstered when he ran instead of coming out with a weapon. Reholstering at a dead run, I didn't snap either of the straps and the holster was old enough that the built in retention didn't engage properly. Regardless, as soon as we went to the ground that weapon was out and he had it.

I got a nasty concussion and a great teaching moment for all my future trainees from that moment on. EVERY fight the police get involved in has at least one firearm present and suspects may make very rash decisions over very minor charges. Act accordingly.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Tasers need to go in the shitter.

Nature does not "tase" you when you take it to the ground, nature will kill you and not give a fuck.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43865 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Now she's facing felony charges, though.

"Lawrence police officer Brindley Blood, the officer seen in the video shooting the man, has been charge with reckless aggravated battery, a felony, in the Douglas County District Court for shooting 35-year-old Akira Lewis, according to The Kansas City Star."

https://newsmaven.io/pinacnews...PIE9HekOBo58109pkgA/

https://www.kansascity.com/new...rticle228379669.html

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Damn. I’m betting there will be a Civil lawsuit filed too.

Just. Damn.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I'm not unhappy with the outcome

being stupid needs to hurt, and hurt more often

not the cops fault

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:

That's terrible. The way that felon slammed the cop to the asphalt, he could have killed him. His next step would have been to grab the cop's gun. Shooting him is what he deserved. Tasers don't always work, especially on overweight or jumbo-sized people running on adrenaline.

If she didn't follow procedure, get her a desk job or fire her, but to prosecute her is unconscionable to me. Is the DA a DA democrat?

Posts: 8610 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
I'm fine with the purp having another orifice.
Time for lunch.

Posts: 527 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
It may have been an accident but it was a Bob Ross kind of "Happy Accident". Big Grin
I hope justice prevails for the police officer and I say she should have shot the fucker twice.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
The perp was going all out on the cop. If he did not have a partner, the perp could have easily killed him if he wanted to. Taser would have been better, but I would not ask the woman to resign.
I’m with you. One punch and you’re knocked out and possibly dead if the guy wants to kill you.

Posts: 3906 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Tasers need to go in the shitter.

Nature does not "tase" you when you take it to the ground, nature will kill you and not give a fuck.

This. Subject resisted, subject was shot.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Maniac, lay on the ground...or else. Wink

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Ugh.

The worse part is that asshole is going to get a settlement out of this.

Whether or not the shooting is justified doesn't negate the fact that he was accidentally shot. That's settlement material right there.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
He was ground pounding the other officer.

Get me on the jury, I'll let her go.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34105 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:

That's terrible. The way that felon slammed the cop to the asphalt, he could have killed him. His next step would have been to grab the cop's gun. Shooting him is what he deserved. Tasers don't always work, especially on overweight or jumbo-sized people running on adrenaline.

If she didn't follow procedure, get her a desk job or fire her, but to prosecute her is unconscionable to me. Is the DA a DA democrat?
Filing charges is bullshit. At most, she should've been given additional training in reacting under stress (i.e. grab the taser when you mean to grab the taser).

The perp absolutely deserved it and his mf'ing dumb ass practically begged for it.

Be polite, accept your ticket, and beat the ticket in court is what moderately smart and smarter people do.
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
He was ground pounding the other officer.

Get me on the jury, I'll let her go.
+1 on no bill if I'm on the grand jury

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23209 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post