SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Speaker stand recommendations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speaker stand recommendations Login/Join 
posted
I’ve been reading reviews on speaker stands and they have scared the hell out of me. My kid has a pair of Klipsch The Fives and needs a place to put them. Building some shelves for the bedroom might be fine but does anyone have a set of stands they would recommend?

Posts: 968 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Please use standard search methods.

https://www.crutchfield.com/sh.../speaker_stands.html

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5057 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Yeah, kinda hard to do the research for this very specific and personal project.
Suggest looking over what looks good to you after all it just needs to get to a level you like at a price and look you like. Eek

Posts: 22933 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did use standard search methods. The first line of my post is: I’ve been reading reviews on speaker stands…
Perhaps I should have been more clear, I would like to know if anyone can recommend a speaker stand/brand that is of decent quality and they would purchase again.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
You might consider this approach. Here's a DIY set I made for our bedroom speakers (that I also built). A top platform can added for larger speakers.

Concrete blocks I spray painted black. Wood strips to fit the grooves were stained.

Result. I used a thick layer of pressed cork atop the blocks to protect the wood finish of the speaker bottoms.
Your son's Klipsch Fives are about the same size as these shown here.

As an aside I also made this DIY equipment flexi-stand with threaded stock and wood shelves.

It has evolved over time Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16250 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
Nice setup. I like your style. I always look for alternative materials for projects. Usually save alot of money too.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Kent, thanks for the comment! Big Grin

For clarification on using the concrete stands for larger speakers, you take a thick piece of wood suitable in size for the base of the larger speaker and screw a thick block to the bottom that will fit snugly into the recess of the top concrete block. This provides security and stability. And yes, these DIY stands are MUCH cheaper than any decent retail offerings. Only thing you sacrifice is ease of changing placement location. Something that wasn't a concern here. Smile

The bedroom speakers I built back in 2003 using Ed Frias' EFE Peerless 2-way monitor design published on Audio.com. They continue to serve well driven by a restored vintage 1989 Nakamichi TA-3 (Nelson Pass Stasis amplifier design) receiver.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16250 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
400m,
Please let us know what you and your son decide upon. Smile

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
In my audiophile days, I had Carver equipment, including a tuner just like the one in Bald1's rack.

Posts: 79 | Location: Wooster, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I bought these for some Klipsch speakers that we have behind our couch in our TV room. They have worked well but they are NOT child proof.

Posts: 12472 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
BB61,
No picture or link shows in either Brave or Firefox Roll Eyes

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I use some ordinary 18” pedestals but this stuff is great for mounting the speaker on them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Posts: 17901 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
That link is for your order / shipment info.
You need to provide a plain Amazon product link

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
The link worked for me if you clicked on the “product details” but, to make it easier, I think I have it now - third times the charm, right?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08J...dt_b_product_details

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Lol. Third time indeed.
Yes this link works well.

Your previous one would work for you since it is tied to your account purchases. Doesn't work for the rest of us.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
bald1, I wanted to get something for his upcoming birthday but I might just give him an IOU and use some curly maple I’ve got stashed away. I guess I’ll finally have to learn to post pics then.

posted Hide Post
Perhaps the single most significant attribute of a speaker stand is the height. Tweeter v listeners head when seated, and whether or not there is a floor reflection from the bass. After that, the materials the stand is made from come into play. So if you’re building your own, make sure to get the first one right. Not all speakers are designed to have the tweeter on direct axis, although a great many are. Some have the acoustical focus between the top two drivers. Stack some stuff up and see what’s a good height beforehand.

Posts: 88 | Location: NEPA | Registered: February 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Honestly I’ve never put that much effort into speaker placement. I suppose it’s time to start.

posted Hide Post
I don’t see it as effort, more like taking the time to maximize your investment AND enjoy the music more.
In an earlier life I reviewed and wrote equipment articles. I try to explain to my fellow audio friends that taking the time to properly set up a system and maximize the room it is in ALWAYS beats spending more money. Heck, the untapped potentials are already paid for.
Taking just a few extra steps is worth the time. I have experienced some meticulously set up systems that would be labeled “modest” that are transparent and organic. They take the listener to a better musical place. The music is why we do it.

Posts: 88 | Location: NEPA | Registered: February 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post