SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    computer question?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

computer question? Login/Join 
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted
Years ago I compiled a bunch of audio files. I found the CDs. I can play the files right off the disc, but when I copy them it just copies as a short cut to the CD. How do I can a usable file off the CD so I can play them from my computer or send them via email to a friend. These files were compiled and burn to disc maybe 15 to 20 years ago.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
You need to use software to "rip" them to a usable format of choice > FLAC, MP3 etc.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Exact Audio Copy is what I use. Although it might depend on the format of the CD.

EAC rips to WAV file, from there I compress to whatever file format I need.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3296 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
I use exact audio copy to extract what remains of my CD collection to my digital library.

It's not the best looking, but it works VERY well.

It isn't a quick one click solution, but it can be if you don't use the feature that checks for audio accuracy.

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
If you have iTunes on your computer it will rip the songs.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of punch out
posted Hide Post
Itunes or Windows Media Player are the two that are most likely to be on your computer already.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We are more concerned with American Idol than we are with American Security and freedom..."

Posts: 3830 | Location: Land of the Prius... | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried iTunes, but I do have Windows Media Player. It will play them only straight from the disc. I used Goldwave back then to take them off of an analog source. I thought they were wav files, but the extension on the file is cda.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Exact Audio Copy is excellent for ripping CDs.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
EAC has done the trick. Thanks ever so much.