SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Blue Ridge Mountains GA
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blue Ridge Mountains GA Login/Join 
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted
Anyone familiar with this area? Rented a very nice log cabin for 2 weeks in Morganton GA, North of Atlanta, just off of Blue Ridge Lake, over 4000 ft2 just super nice. Many family members will attend. Will be there the week of July 4th and the following week.

My wife would like to see some Southern charm, maybe a plantation, gardens, flowers, museums and such. I've been googling places to visit and just am not coming up with much. Any recommendations on places to visit within a 3 or 4 hour drive or so? Maybe a 1 or 2 day trip.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Amicalola Falls State Park is a good destination, its a state park, you can drive to the top and hike down, or hike up from the bottom,

Falls Link

Brasstown Bald Mountain GA's highest point, observatory at the top is nice with a museum in it, if it's a foggy day, skip the trip.

Brasstown Link

Helen GA - Basically GA Bavaria, touristy, yes, but the ladies will like the shopping, you will like the German Food and Beer.. you can go tubing, hiking, shopping, or just sit near the Chattahoochee River at a restaurant and have a beer.

Helen Link

If you like racin cars you can go to Dawsonville GA, home of Awesome Bill and check out the GA Racing Hall of Fame..

GA Racing Hall of Fame

Posts: 23524 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The closest plantation of sorts is Chateau Elan.

Dahlonega is close enough and is a day trip with it's wineries and scenery.

Atlanta Botanical Gardens, Fernbank Museum and the Georgia Aquarium. While you are downtown go get a Varsity hot dog and a peach pie.

Tabitha and I would meet you up in Dahlonega for a tour.

Amacolola Falls is a great place for a pic nic. Casa de SC is within sight of the falls along with his awesome shooting range.

Avoid Helen as if it has the plague. All the good shops have been overtaken by Indian owned t shirt shops. The only good restaurant is Bodense and it requires reservations.

A true plantation would require a trip to south Georgia.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34132 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
not much "plantation" lifestyle in the mountains...

Blairsville and Ellijay are both cute little towns that are a nice 1/2 hour drive from Morganton. Ellijay is renowned for its apple orchards, though that is typically more a fall venture. Dahlonega is about an hour and it is also very nice little mountain town.

The nicest attractions in the area are wineries, imo. There are a number that are within 30 min drive. My favorites are Monteluce and Wolf Mountain. They have lovely scenery, tours, tastings, and restaurants. If you're looking for a third, try Frogtown. It's not quite as fancy as the other two, but is nice and has good food. Also, I haven't been there since the reopening, but Kaya Winery is the old Blackstock Winery and I loved that place. More intimate tastings and beautiful scenery. No restaurant but a lot of freedom to walk around in the vineyards.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10493 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
Do you have a lake view ? Nice fireworks show on the Saturday nearest the fourth. Visible from Morganton. The marina rents pontoons but may already be booked for that particular day.

I have a place on the lake and am familiar with the area. Email in profile for some restaurant, attractions, and day trip ideas.

Posts: 2546 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Amicalola Falls State Park is a good destination, its a state park, you can drive to the top and hike down, or hike up from the bottom,

Falls Link

I can see the resort from my driveway.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39769 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:

I can see the resort from my driveway.

I've ridden past your drive several times if it's on 52, great road, love the area...

BJ's Orchards is a nice place to stop as well, especially in the fall.

Posts: 23524 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
The Tallulah Falls Gorge is about 70 miles east on US 76 and south on US 23. It's really pretty and one of the biggest canyons east of the Mississippi (about 1000 feet deep and a couple of miles long). There are rim routes and limited numbers of gorge floor passes available; however, they may be doing controlled burns while you'll be here, which limits access, so check on the day you plan to visit.

If you have little girls with your group, Babyland General Hospital, the home of the Cabbage Patch Kids, is in Cleveland, just a short drive from the previously mentioned Helen.

There used to be a couple of stables near Helen where you can do some trail riding, but I don't know if they're still in operation.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2108 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
also, if you don't mind driving a few hours, come to Atlanta and go to the Atlanta History Museum and the Swan House. Maybe the Botanical Gardens.

If you're looking for an overnight, you could go all the way down to Callaway Gardens which is lovely.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10493 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
About 30-40 minute drive you can go to Murphy, NC - the River walk:
http://www.heritagepartners.org/riverwalk.htm

Kayak if you're so inclined:
http://visitcherokeecountync.com/kayaking/

Check out the John C Campbell Folk School - you can just tour the school or check out their schedule and sign up for a class:
https://folkschool.org/index.php

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Just remembered another possibility:

If you're interested in trains and scenery, the Blue Ridge Scenic Railroad has an excursion from Blue Ridge, Georgia, up to Copper Hill, Tennessee.

http://www.brscenic.com/

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2108 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 08 Cayenne:
My wife would like to see some Southern charm, maybe a plantation, gardens, flowers, museums and such. I've been googling places to visit and just am not coming up with much. Any recommendations on places to visit within a 3 or 4 hour drive or so? Maybe a 1 or 2 day trip.

Asheville, NC and the Biltmore House fall within that range.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheesegrits:

Great point, that's about 2.5 hours from Morganton and if you've never seen it, it should be on your list!
http://www.biltmore.com/

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:
Originally posted by cheesegrits:

Great point, that's about 2.5 hours from Morganton and if you've never seen it, it should be on your list!
http://www.biltmore.com/

That definitely should be on the list.

The Great Smoky Mountains National Park is west of Asheville, only about three hours from Morganton, too. It’s a very scenic drive through North Carolina on the east side of the mountains, but not as much on the west side by the Tennessee routes.

posted Hide Post
We have spent a few relaxing nights here - really nice short hike from Amicalola Falls State Park.

http://hike-inn.com

Posts: 542 | Registered: April 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
Damn, thanks guys, appreciate the info. I'll check it out. Smokey Mountain rail is high on the list, I am a train freak. Was also panning on stopping at the Biltmore on the ride home and taking a train ride there also. I've never been at this place so I'm not sure of the view but about 2 miles from the water.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Gatlinburg, TN is only a 2.5 hour trip, if there are a lot of kids in the group, might be worth the day trip, Dollywood park is a fun family place.

Linky thing to Dollywood

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Casa de SC is within sight of the falls along with his awesome shooting range.

Wish I had known. I was in Elijay in October and would have said hello.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20322 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I'd go to Great Smokey Mountains National Park. It is beautiful, and the Cades Cove section has historic interest, in that there are preserved cabins and some other buildings, including a mill, from the inhabitants who were there in the pre-park days.

When I say beautiful:

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
My wife gets me to go to Blue Ridge to stroll through the shops because it's the only place I would consider doing any of that sort of stuff. It's a nice downtown area with a railroad that you can take a scenic trip on.
I'm in Dahlonega, about 45 minutes away and it's a nice place to see too. Lots of winerys nearby and some gold mine tours. It was the first gold rush and near the site where the Cherokees were rounded up for the Trail of Tears to Oklahoma.
All sorts of outdoor activities in the area. With 2 weeks you'll have time to go to places like the Biltmore House.

Posts: 9532 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post