SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who has either a Hyundai Tucson or a Santafe and what do you think?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who has either a Hyundai Tucson or a Santafe and what do you think? Login/Join 
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted
I did a quick search and most of the information I found was a couple of years old.

My wife and I are starting to do research on a new car. We have looked at several however the Hyundai look interesting due to their 100,000 mile power train warranty and all the bells and whistles that are included in the mid level models.
What do you think of the reliability and value for the money paid of the SUV if you have one?

We have also looked at the Ford Bronco and the Ford Escape however some of the deals are not as good. We have owned several Fords in past years so we have some Idea what to expect.

We are currently driving a Toyota Rav4 and like it however most of the Toyota dealers have no inventory and their attitude is, take what we have that is priced over MSRP or take nothing, or if you wanted to order something it could take months from when you decided what you wanted.
This is also our 4th Toyota in the last 19 years So Hyundai would be something new to us.

Thanks

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have three Kia's in our family. I recommend staying away from Hyundai/Kia products. Yes, they have a great warranty period. But good luck getting parts if anything breaks.

They just issued another recall for fire risk on 2023 models.

I recommend either biting the bullet and get a Toyota. Or, if you need something faster, go look at Mazda. They have decent inventory right now.

Posts: 6623 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
We are currently driving a Toyota Rav4 and like it however most of the Toyota dealers have no inventory and their attitude is, take what we have that is priced over MSRP or take nothing, or if you wanted to order something it could take months from when you decided what you wanted.

You don't need to pay over MSRP for a Toyota now. But you will have to do research to find a dealer charging MSRP and probably wait for an allocation. And the allocation may not be exactly what you want. But I do believe in the long run you will be happier than if you bought a Hyundai/Kia product.

Posts: 6623 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Wasn't there something in the news recently about how easy it is to steal them? I didn't look at details but it sounded surprising even as car thefts go.

I know someone who works there; while he obviously owns their car (and an upscale one at that), he recommended I stick w/ Toyota / Lexus.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Wasn't there something in the news recently about how easy it is to steal them?

Yes. There was actually a thread on it here not too long ago. But that only affects certain 2021's and earlier.

However, the latest recall about fire risk affects 2023's.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll just make one more comment and then I'll let this go.

Hyundai/Kia did some significant model refreshes over the 2020 and 2021 model years. Prior to that, their prices were very reasonable and, even with all their faults, they were a decent value.

But after the 2020/21 model refreshes, Hyundai/Kia significantly raised the MSRP's across their entire lineup. They have raised MSRP's well over 40% over the past five years.

In my opinion, Hyundai/Kia are no longer a good value.

Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
OP have you been to a Hyundai dealer? They can take slimy to a whole new level (at least around here…)

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6318 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
I have a 2022 Tucson Hybrid “blue”. No issues 23,000 miles.

Plenty of room and roughly 42 mpg on the road.

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:

OP have you been to a Hyundai dealer? They can take slimy to a whole new level
My wife bought a new Toyota a few years ago, and I interacted with several dealers a few months ago when I was buying a car. In each case, the dealer would have had to improve quite a bit in order to reach the level of slimy or sleazy.

We should probably have a poll: What's worse, car dealers? Cell phone providers? Cable / internet service providers?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30674 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In our search to replace our aging and high-mileage Honda Pilot we drove both of those models and actually went back for a second test drive of the S-F as it made the ‘short list’.

We thought that both vehicles drove quite nicely, had excellent driver-assist / safety features and had well laid out dashboards, etc.

Our salesmen was excellent, and at ~6’2” or so fit comfortably in the passenger seat of each, and oddly maybe little bit better in the smaller Tuscon.

We wound up getting a CPO Honda Passport but the S-F was a close second.

I suppose that the other concerns mentioned in this thread about the Hyundai brand and dealerships would need to be considered and vetted.

Also, we thought that the S-F was better than the Kia Sorrento, but for a larger vehicle the Kia Telluride was better than the Hyundai Palisade.

Posts: 3479 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Wasn't there something in the news recently about how easy it is to steal them?

Yes. There was actually a thread on it here not too long ago. But that only affects certain 2021's and earlier.

However, the latest recall about fire risk affects 2023's.

Theft issue was related to those that start with a physical key. Those that use the RFID key fob haven't had an issue.

The fire risk is related to the towing package. The 4 pin (not the 7 pin) connectors were found to have bad weatherproofing.

Issues with the Hyundais are related to the dual clutch transmission. IIRC, the Santa Fe uses a dry Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT). The Santa Cruz uses a wet DCT and (other than some early 2022 models) have been pretty good. But I'd be wary of the dry DCT. Some of the safety tech (Lane Keeping Assist, Cross Traffic Alert) are pretty damn good on the newer Hyundais. And they've integrated the cameras on it such that you can get a birds eye view in a parking lot (cuts out at about 10 mph).

But Hyundai has a pretty good warranty. And I got my Santa Cruz at 0% APR for 48 months. Something Hyundai does a couple times a year.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone.

My wife and I have been to the Ford dealership, the Honda dealership and the Hyundai dealership so far.

Hyundai was the best experience so far. We told the salesman we were only starting our research and did not want a test drive yet. We did sit in the cars and go over all the features.
He spent almost an hour with us and there was no pressure to try to get us to buy.
We did also see on the news the recall on some of their cars and will take this into consideration.

The Ford dealership was also a good information, same as Hyundai. That salesman only spent about 20 minutes with us.
The salesman tried several times to close a sale even tho we told him we we not buying that day, I did tell him this when we first arrived.
I can't blame him for trying tho, it's his job and he was not pushy about it.

Honda was a different story because there were almost no new cars to even look at. A salesman greeted us however he told us he was with a customer. We told him our interest and what we were looking for and he did take some time to show us an SUV we wanted to see.
He did tell us however the one we were looking at was sold and the customer was inside doing the paperwork.
He spent about 10 minutes with us then we told him thank you and to go take care of the customers he was working with before we arrived.

So far prices are around the same for most of the vehicle styles we were looking at. It seems that Hyundai had the most features for the money.

With that said my wife is liking the Ford Bronco Sport. It was not as expensive as we thought it would be however it has the least features for the money.

Tomorrow we will visit either another Ford Dealership to see what Broncos they have to look at, or the Dodge dealership less than a mile from our house.

Once again
Thanks everyone

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 2019 Santa Fe and it isn’t a bad vehicle but in a year or two I plan to trade it for a Subaru Outback of Ascent.

I have never regretted the Santa Fe but it has some oddities that I have not really gotten over. For example, when pulling out of a parking spot the back corners are blind spots. Also, it is surprisingly awkward to twist around it to look behind you.

While the driver's seat is comfortable for long trips the passenger seat is not. I can sit behind the wheel all day but a few hours in the passenger seat is unpleasant.

For our model the passenger-side head lamp is constantly frizzing because it is so low on the body that water splashes up and shorts it when driving through puddles. In four years I’ve had three lights die.

The rear tires wear faster on my Santa Fe than on any vehicle I have ever owned. After three years and thirty thousand miles I had to replace them.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I must be one of the fortunate ones, as we have had many Hyundai vehicles over the years-Santa Fe, Sonata, Elantra and now a Santa Cruz and have never had a problem with any of them. I usually keep my cars until they die, as I maintain them and keep them looking like new. I drive a 2019 Sonata and really like it. Gas mileage is great and the car has been nothing but problem free since the day we bought it. I really like my wife's Santa Cruz, as it is quite roomy on the inside and drives perfectly. It also came with a maintenance package for free for 5 years.

Before these, we had a couple of Santa Fe models and only traded them in as their mileage was getting pretty high and we needed something different with/for our kids and wound up getting a Kia Sedona (van), and it was very nice. I also have many family members that have had Hyundai Santa Fe(s) for many years and they still do. I think they are quite the bargain as far as vehicles go. I like their designs,especially the Santa Cruz.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
While the driver's seat is comfortable for long trips the passenger seat is not. I can sit behind the wheel all day but a few hours in the passenger seat is unpleasant.

Be sure you try out the Outback's seat. I have the same issue with the Forester

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Although largely confined to a couple of engines (but they are used in a number of different models), there have been too many catastrophic engine failures with Hyundai and Kia for me to recommend any newer one. This is too bad, because they mostly drive well and have very good fit and finish. Up to roughly 2014-2015, they rivaled Toyota in longevity, believe it or not.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Although largely confined to a couple of engines (but they are used in a number of different models), there have been too many catastrophic engine failures with Hyundai and Kia for me to recommend any newer one. This is too bad, because they mostly drive well and have very good fit and finish. Up to roughly 2014-2015, they rivaled Toyota in longevity, believe it or not.

Thanks for all the great info everyone it looks like we are gravitating toward the Fords.

NRA Life Member