SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another "pretendian" case
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another "pretendian" case Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted
https://hotair.com/karen-towns...re-to-resign-n548591

University of California-Berkeley 'pretendian' professor under fire to resign

A pretendian, in this case, is a white person who falsely claims to have Indigenous ancestry in order to profit. A professor at the University of California-Berkeley is under fire for being a pretendian. Sociology professor Elizabeth Hoover has apologized after confirming ‘I am a white person.’

This is another case of a white woman identifying as a Native American and exploiting that false identity for profit or personal gain. On Monday, Elizabeth Hoover issued a lengthy statement that was meant to be an apology. However, more than 300 students and professors are calling on her to resign.

Hoover said she never knowingly falsified her identity or meant to deceive anyone. ‘I’m a human. I didn’t set out to hurt or exploit.’ She said she identified as Native American her whole life but now confirms she is not actually a member of the Mohawk and Mi’kmaq tribes as she had been told as she was growing up in upstate New York.

In October 2022, Hoover admitted she had no documents to prove her ancestry. She was hired by UC – Berkeley in 2020 as part of a diversity program. She specializes in environmental justice in Native American communities. On her new personal website, she issued her statement and said she will no longer claim Mohawk and Mi’kmaq ancestry. She is being labeled a pretendian.

UC -Berkeley was pleased to tout her hiring as a part of a diversity cluster of hiring to address equity and justice. At the time the university described Hoover as a “new Native American faculty member in ESPM and one of 11 self-identified Native American/Alaska Native ladder-rank faculty members at Berkeley.”

Posts: 19576 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
However, more than 300 students and professors are calling on her to resign.

Love it when they eat their own.....

Pretendian, excellent....

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
LOL

Posts: 2771 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
What kind of a specialty is this I have never heard of this?

She specializes in environmental justice in Native American communities

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
She must have 'high cheek bones'... Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hoover said she never knowingly falsified her identity or meant to deceive anyone. ‘I’m a human. I didn’t set out to hurt or exploit.’ She said she identified as Native American her whole life but now confirms she is not actually a member of the Mohawk and Mi’kmaq tribes as she had been told as she was growing up in upstate New York.

So Berkeley hires her as a diversity hire (check the box) because someone in her lineage was a Native American 150-200 years ago. Did she grow up living in a wigwam and growing her own food?

Would Berkeley hire me as a Welsh expert just because my great grandfather came over in 1864? I doubt it.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
What kind of a specialty is this I have never heard of this?

She specializes in environmental justice in Native American communities

Either she whoops and hollers about Mother Gaia all day or she specializes in mixed-use land planning on reservations. Since her online bio says that she specializes in 'food sovereignty', my guess is the latter. These days, as long as you throw "justice" in the title, you get more funding in grants.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I don't think Hoover is a particularly Native American name. Squawshit, maybe. Elizabeth Squawshit is more believable.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
"I am a white person"

Saying that must have hurt like hell.

I bet she offs herself.

Posts: 5142 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Yet there are all these dudes “pretendian” to be women and playing sports and the same folks think they are great!!

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Resign is too easy an out. Sue her for fraud and "claw back" her salary paid out of taxpayer dollars. Sociology Department seems like a waste and should perhaps be eliminated as an academic subject. It's closer to Astrology than academics

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1554 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
It appears that in the late 1700’s I have one Ottawa foremother and one Menominee forefather but no way would I identify as such. So far on the maternal side I’ve traced back at least twelve different heritages and probably none of them could be considered predominant.

I’m such a mutt……

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8104 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
But, but, but, she identifies as indigenous doesn’t that make it legit?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fauxcahontas 2.0. What is it with these wannabe Native American Elizabeths?

Posts: 770 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Having my family claim Native identity does not mean Native nations claimed us. By claiming an identity as a woman of Mohawk and Mi’kmaq descent without confirming it with communities of origin, and by not confirming kinship ties back to politically and culturally affiliated Indigenous peoples, I betrayed and hurt my students, collaborators, and friends. I have negatively impacted people emotionally and culturally. For this hurt I have caused, I am deeply sorry.

Growing up I did not question who I was told I was, or how I identified. But as an adult, as an academic, I should have done my due diligence to confirm that my ancestors were who I was told they were. In my twenties and thirties, I lived in different Native communities, where I knew I did not have the breadth and depth of connection that these folks had to Native family, history, and culture. At the time I wrongly felt that my distant connection was enough for me to claim a Native identity alongside them.

quote:
As a result of recent questions about my identity, I, along with others, conducted genealogical research to verify the tribal descent that my family raised me with, digging through online databases, archival records, and census data. While it is clear that racial identifications in census records are complicated and sometimes unclear (especially since the only race-identifying options for a long time were white, black, and mulatto), we have to date found no records of tribal citizenship for any of my family members in the tribal databases that were accessed. Essentially what I am currently left with is that I do not have any official documentation to verify the way my family has identified.

There you go, throwing your family under-the-bus with your self-flagellation and prostrating yourself upon the alter of virtue & identity. Apologize harder!

Posts: 14656 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not enough to be sorry, lady. You need to quit!

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
My Great Grandmother was a full blooded Native American. I think I may be 1/38 Native American. Smile Does that entitle me to anything? Big Grin Of course I look like an Irishman. LOL How in the world did we get to the point where who we are entitles us to anything?
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1683 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig sailor:
My Great Grandmother was a full blooded Native American. I think I may be 1/38 Native American. Smile Does that entitle me to anything? Big Grin Of course I look like an Irishman. LOL How in the world did we get to the point where who we are entitles us to anything?
Rod

I’m no expert, but my math says you’re at least 1/8 Native American. Assuming no other Native American ancestry and for sake of discussion say it was all on the maternal side (doesn’t matter):

Great grandmother full,
Grandmother 1/2,
Mother 1/4,
You 1/8.

Am I missing something? I really have no idea, but, yes, that might get you something.

Posts: 3436 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig sailor:
How in the world did we get to the point where who we are entitles us to anything?

Maybe I'm just being picky here, but I figure it's even worse when someone believes he or she is entitled to something because of who his or her parents (or further-back ancestors) were -- though I certainly benefit from the work my parents and ancestors put in, getting through each successive day is on me.

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yet Elizabeth Warren hasn't been shunned by the left or forced to resign from the Senate...

That Senate vote is more important to them than the truth. The professor in this case just wasn't useful enough. If you are useful they let anything slip by...

Posts: 4724 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post