SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cooler hat for hot summer hiking?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cooler hat for hot summer hiking? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I have a Tilley and various boonies. They are great and stay on fine in the wind. They offer good protection from the sun and rain. However, the material is rather sturdy and they get rather hot in summer.

I'd like to get something more suitable for hot summer wear - I'll use the Tilley and boonies for other seasons and the rain.

I'm looking for something that will have a boonie or Tilley style strap so that the hat will stay in place in the wind.

Would like for it to be cooler, breathable / vented but still provide protection from the sun.

I looked at some Panama / straw hats but the one's recommended are very expensive $300-$1000 (I assume the price was quoted in USD)?

I'm looking at the Stetson Air Panama but not sure if it fits my needs or is durable for hiking and such. And still a little pricey - would want it to last at least 5 years at that price.

Any other recommendations? Only other requirement is that it not be made in prc. Latin America is fine.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12714 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
I have this hat. Got it at REI earlier this year. Lighter than my Tilley, strap works the same for me. I got the large, and it's adjustable. Very comfy. About $50.

https://sundayafternoons.com/p...riant=37929193767102

This is all I could find on their website about where it is made. They aren't very up front about it. They are, however, very proud of their "Corporate Social Responsibility".

Where are your products made?
Sunday Afternoons is committed to a safe, fair and healthy working environment for all employees and our factory workers alike. With supplier partnerships across Asia and Mexico, we are actively implementing code of conduct agreements, regularly scheduled third-party audits, and required compliance with the OIA Fair Labor Code of Conduct.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3296 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I also have a Tilly.
Have you looked at their newer Airflo hats?

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16510 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thx. Yea got one. It’s just the material is rather heavy gauge I think. I love it for the wind and even rain.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12714 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Tilley type hat that has mesh vent on each side and has a neck protector that can be rolled up and stowed if/when you don't want to use it. Got it at Wal-Mart for about $12. I've had it a few months now and it works great.
Materials are not too heavy but seems well made.

Posts: 1960 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
I have worn this hat for many years, fishing and hiking and it has held up well. Vented for good circulation. Kept my noggin cool.

https://www.outbacktrading.com...riant=12735486492725

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1324 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sunday Afternoon has rocketed up in popularity in the outdoor specialty world, their Adventure Hat is a best seller. They have a big variety to choose from.

Columbia's Bora Bora has been a popular price-sensitive option for years

Outdoor Research Helio's I wore on Denali and a handful of other ski touring trips, lightweight, breathable and didn't take up much space.

The North Face Horizon Breeze Brimmer

Tilly's has a big selection so, I wouldn't necessarily ignore them.

Posts: 14637 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
The thing I liked about the one I linked above was the little bit stiffer brim, not so floppy. I too have a Tilley Airflow, but the Sunday Afternoon is lighter and cooler.

On the other hand, I sweat a lot too (definite northern European heritage). SO when I wear a hat in the summer, it acts like a gasket, and when I take it off, a pool of sweat soaks my face.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3296 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use various Outdoor Research sun hats for activities and straw lifeguard hats for lounging about.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Nice suggestions guys, thanks! I'll look into them more. Seem like good quality and reasonably priced. Quick skim - looks like made in Vietnam for the OR items so confirmed not made in prc; I saw them at REI when I looked at the Tilley's. I'll take another look. The Sunday Afternoon offerings look good - never heard of them before. The Charter Escape looks like my Tilley just much more attractively priced.

The Kodiak is attractive off the bat.

North Face is still on the shit list though.

Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have the Outdoor Research Sonora Sombrero. It gives good service in Florida heat

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Straw hats seem to be favored by anyone working outside during the summers of the southern parts of Florida. I don’t imagine the landscapers, roofers, pool cleaners and such are paying $300-$1000 for their’s. A quick look at the internet seems to produce a variety of American made straw hats from $50 up to $165 for a Stetson or Resistol. There also seems to be a wide variety of straw hats made in Central or South America at reasonable prices.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in farming country where you can spend all day in the sun and the closest tree and shade is a quarter mile away. The humidity is high so you sweat like the proverbial pig. Expensive hats for working or playing in these conditions would be tossing money in the wind. The ubiquitous straw farmers' hat is the answer. Keeps the sun off, can be as ventilated as you please by how it is woven and throw it away cheap when it has reached the end of its' life. I buy mine at local farm supply stores and there are styles to suit your needs. Extremely wide brim gardening/tractor driving types, the fedora type if you want some style or the ever popular cowboy hat. You don't have to spend lot and Dorfman Pacific hats seem to hold up for a year or two without getting too nasty. As far as wind retention some have the neck cord but it can easily be added if required. A cord can be pushed between the weave or a small hole can be punched.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2889 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post