SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trying cast iron
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trying cast iron Login/Join 
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Preheat the pan(only use medium heat at most) and use liberal amount of oil or butter on the pan before you put eggs in.

I just got into my first cast iron pan and first thing I cooked was a couple eggs and they didn't stick at all. I was amazed. It works very well when done right.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Preheat the pan(only use medium heat at most) and use liberal amount of oil or butter on the pan before you put eggs in.

I have a small cast iron "pan" that I use solely for single servings of scrambled eggs. This is exactly how I do it, and have never had a problem.

When I'm done, I wash it with water only, heat it up to dry it, and while it's still hot hit it with a little crisco and a paper towel.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15733 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I'm no expert, but I'm wondering if you have a Lodge product? I've heard the off brand Chinese made are really junk and just wont season well, but the USA made Lodge season well.

Posts: 11865 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I have been using new Lodge cast for the past year. It’s all I cook on now. For seasoning I use Crisbee. Run it four times in the oven and it is the best non stick ever. The trick though even after it is seasoned is running a little olive oil (or maybe that’s my Italian showing lol). Before I cook anything on it I let it sit for at least 10min. to warm up. Cold is the cast iron enemy.

Crisbee:
http://www.crisbee.org

Cast iron is easy as hell to clean and my favorite, I can use metal utensils! A dam metal spatula won’t screw my pan up. 30 seconds under hot water with a nylon brush is all it ever needs. Put it on the stove on low while you eat to evaporate the water and then hit it with a light coat of Crisbee before it goes back in the cubboard. Ready for the next meal.

You can use it anywhere.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Thanks Binky. I just ordered some Crisbee.

I'm admiring your grill cooking, I've got to give it a try.

Posts: 11865 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck seasoning with flaxseed oil. My method is to wire brush the hell out of the pan, heat the pan to 200, apply a THIN coat of flaxseed oil to the entire pan (handle, top, bottom, etc. put it in a cold oven upside down on the middle rack and set it to its maximum temp, once it hits the "preheat" temp with the skillet in the oven for an hour, then leave the pan in the oven as it cools down for 2 hours. once it's cool enough to touch... you do the process over. The guide I followed has you do this 6 times (yea, it's a pain in the ass and extremely time consuming, but the results were insane).

http://www.thekitchn.com/i-sea...what-happened-224612

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post