SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So my 13 year old son built his first PC, I needed one also update page 3
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So my 13 year old son built his first PC, I needed one also update page 3 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I ordered the roccat keyboard and mouse. Then my 2nd dan wesson sold, so i ordered the 1080ti video card. All i have left to order are the two 32 inch curved monitors, and maybe a spare case. The case i ordered does not have a bay for dvd/blueray. I may want one. For that to happen i need one of my remaining 4 consignment guns to sell.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As promised here is my wife's set up for working at home.

The empty table on the other side of my wife's work station will be my spot. It will be where i put my cpu when done.

I am still struggling with a case. The one i ordered is okay. I will likely order another and choose between the two.

I also found out i ordered the wrong motherboard for me. I need one with wifi, and 4 slots for ram. I did not pay close enough attention when ordering. So that goes back once it is delivered.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
Why the two monitors? If he's going to game on two monitors he's going to have a bezel right down the center.

I'd suggest an ultrawide gaming monitor and then put the saved cash towards a 1080ti. His video editing will benefit from the better GPU.

Agreed. I'm using an LG ultra wide curved monitor for work, it's incredible and designed for gaming primarily. Got it in Amazon warehouse deals for less than two decent smaller monitors would be, and have the ability to adjust to whatever individual panel size/configuration/layout I want inside the HUGE window by simply click-and-dragging the divider(s) around the window.

Also, fans are cheap, heat is the enemy of those gamers. I'd add more airflow.

eta - oops. See it's done! Very nice, hope he enjoys.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12419 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well i sent back the wrong motherboard and ordered a

ASUS ROG Maximus X Formula LGA1151 (300 Series) DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 Z370 ATX Motherboard

I also went a bit larger screen sized with two samsung monitors.

Samsung C32F391 32-Inch Curved Monitor (Ultra- Slim Design)

For the two monitors. I picked up two arms to help me position them better.

Monitor Arm, Weltraum Desk Mount Gas Spring Single Display Stand 360 Degree Rotate, Up to 19.8 lbs, VESA 75x75 or 100x100, Silver

I also went ahead and picked up a new m2 for the operating system.

Samsung 960 EVO Series - 250GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V6E250BW)

Finally i picked up another case, it was a hard choice. Same brand as the one on the way. It just looks like it will have a cleaner install. If i dont like either i have a 3rd picked out. The same one as my son.

NZXT H700i Mid-Tower Computer Case Black/Red CA-H700W-BR

A couple of display port cables, new power strips to round it all out.

It all should arrive this wednesday.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
Why the two monitors? If he's going to game on two monitors he's going to have a bezel right down the center.

I'd suggest an ultrawide gaming monitor and then put the saved cash towards a 1080ti. His video editing will benefit from the better GPU.

Agreed. I'm using an LG ultra wide curved monitor for work, it's incredible and designed for gaming primarily.

Curved monitors are great for everyday business too.
I don't really game much except for one golf game but it works great for productivity too.
I have been building custom computers for clients for many years and introduced many to the dual monitor concept waayyy before it was fashionable.
I finally tried an Ultrawide for one of my main personal computers and it was the best improvement in a system in a long time.

The Ergotron Monitor Stand makes it float to multiple positions.

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well the two monitors and one mount arrived today. As did the Mother board, Cpu, and M2 SSD.
Here is a rear shot of the first screen mounted on what will be my work space area.

The first NZXT 440 arrived. I did not mind it, but, I really am thinking I will like the other NZXT 700i better. So after taking the 440 out and taking a good long look at it i will send it back.

non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to add this as an extra item.

cord management on amazon

I got this stuff and it made wire management for all 3 pc's and 8 monitors, all the mice keyboards and peripherals, speakers etc. so easy. Nice neat and easy to get in and out of for moves and adds.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4791 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nickelsig229:
Just wanted to add this as an extra item.

cord management on amazon

I got this stuff and it made wire management for all 3 pc's and 8 monitors, all the mice keyboards and peripherals, speakers etc. so easy. Nice neat and easy to get in and out of for moves and adds.

That is pretty cool. I will look into it.

posted Hide Post
So my second monitor stand came in today. That allowed me to put up my second monitor.

The third and final case arrived. IE the same one my son ordered for his build. The other two, NZXT 440 and NZXT 700i have some air flow issues that i did not like.

So cool master case it is.

I have moved the SSD tray's to the rear of the mother board. The demon child in the photo is my Daughter CJ.

I have also moved the two HDD bays to the lower compartment infront of the power supply.

I have removed the two stock fans, I am replacing them with 140mm thermaltake RGB units.

By doing all this i will be able to mount the CPU radiator on the top vent area in a push cool air through, and hot air out config.

The Graphics card radiator will go to the back side of the front lower fan in another push pull config. the rest will be mostly open space.

I will have:
1 SSD m2 on the mother board,
2 SSD on the rear of the mother board tray,
1 old hdd in the lower HDD tray.
1 optical drive in the top slot.

With the cabling being rund behind the mother board tray, it should be a fairly open plan.

posted Hide Post
Well, I have my thermaltake RGB fans and controller on the way here tomorrow. Those need to go in before cpu, cpu cooler, gpu and gpu cooler. The CPU cooler was canceled by amazon, so i reordered it. It is supposed to be here friday. So i have just a few things in the case as of now.

Power supply is in,

The mother board is in,

The M2 SSd is in,

Ram is in,

2 ssd's in their sleeves and installed

Blueray player installed,

posted Hide Post
The fans and the fan controller came in today. Tomorrow the last thing arrives, my cpu cooler. I installed a few of the fans, and did some preliminary cable running.

This fan and the mother board power cable are both temp, as the cpu radiator will be just above them both.

The two front RGB coolers in place.

The back side is a bit sloppy right now. I will end up doing a bit of clean up.

posted Hide Post
Well, I am typing to you via the new CPU!

Yay, a couple of hiccups, but nothing terrible.

The 280mm radiator is a bit big for this case when combined with the Asus Maximus Formula. One fan had to be put on top to push air in. Other than that, everything seems to be coming along.