SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sir Roger Penrose on his 92nd birthday.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sir Roger Penrose on his 92nd birthday. Login/Join 
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted
Here's some White Privilege for ya:

https://youtu.be/oGWmNW84RBY?si=DuwyM4P8XOwZZD3_

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15517 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
As in Penrose tiling?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9287 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
One of the men I admire most in this world. Truly, a brilliant mind, and he possesses the ability to explain very complex things in terms an informed layman can understand.

I've been watching his lectures lately, regarding the Big Bang and the apparent evidence of what happened before the Big Bang. It's trite to call his theories 'fascinating'. It's much more than that. He's on to something.

I am planning to incorporate some of his theories into a post I intend to make at some point, about the essential nature of reality and the universe.

I wish the man could live another century. He really is one of the smartest people alive today.

Posts: 108613 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
As in Penrose tiling?

Yes.

“A Penrose tiling is an example of an aperiodic tiling. Here, a tiling is a covering of the plane by non-overlapping polygons or other shapes, and a tiling is aperiodic if it does not contain arbitrarily large periodic regions or patches. However, despite their lack of translational symmetry, Penrose tilings may have both reflection symmetry and fivefold rotational symmetry. Penrose tilings are named after mathematician and physicist Roger Penrose, who investigated them in the 1970s. …”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penrose_tiling

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9287 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the Penrose/Escher connection

Posts: 108613 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Sir Roger is a physics rock star. Cool

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20987 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
One of the men I admire most in this world. Truly, a brilliant mind, and he possesses the ability to explain very complex things in terms an informed layman can understand.
<snip>

Like the old “Scientific American” magazine before it was sold to a German publisher. I still have many articles that I clipped from it.

Serious about crackers

posted Hide Post
Loved his book "The Emporers New Mind". I've been meaning to read it again since AI is becoming such a hot topic.

Posts: 1052 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post