SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Got some gold. What to do?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got some gold. What to do? Login/Join 
posted
So today I went to the dentist to get a crown replaced. It was a 3/4 crown, and the area of the tooth where it met the crown had some decay, so off it came (I have the temp crown on now). The old crown I've had since I was 14 years old (42 years).
Since I'd had it so long, I had the dentist save the gold for me. Not a whole lot of gold, so not worth much, but I carried it in my mouth for over 40 years. Should I just keep it as a keepsake, or have it made into a small piece of jewelry?

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post

Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13521 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Just keep it as a keepsake; I have two. Gold used for crowns are not made with the highest quality gold.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8669 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Save it for the apocalypse and trade it for a can of beans.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15490 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gold used for crowns are not made with the highest quality gold.

Gold is gold is gold. The alloy it's mixed with doesn't impact the value of the gold within, although you're generally not going to make jewelry out of it.

Yellow dental gold is anywhere from 12 to 22 karat, with the remainder of the alloy containing silver, palladium, or platinum.

Once upon a time I dealt in a lot of scrap gold. We would see dental gold from labs that made mistakes during casting as well as dentist and even crematoriums.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15731 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Since it's dental gold, get gold grillz Big Grin

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23319 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Could make some custom Goldschlager.

Or pack it up and send it to Dave Truong for valuation and sale...if he wouldn't mind that it spent 42 years with you.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Cast it into a bullet for vampires and/or werewolves.

Or is that silver?

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gold bead or band front sight.

JD

Posts: 390 | Location: Northern Colorado  | Registered: May 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
My dad was an oral surgeon and he had a large collection of gold that was removed from people's mouths. Every so often, he would melt it down and craft some sort of figurine to display in a little curio cabinet. Probably totaled 4-5 ounces by the time he retired.

Posts: 6065 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
belt buckle or bolo tie, either

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54706 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
You’re gonna need a treasure chest, and a pirate ship. Then you’ll have to find your buccaneers.

Posts: 3244 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
He's already found his buccaneers. They're holding up his buccan hat. Big Grin

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15490 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JD2177:

JD

That's a good idea. I was also thinking about making a small charm out of it for my mom. After all, since I was 14 when I had the crown, she paid for it, so it's technically HER gold.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JD2177:

JD

This ^^^^ is what I plan to do with my gold crown that was removed.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
I hear that William Devane buys gold whenever he can.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1490 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's a good idea. I was also thinking about making a small charm out of it for my mom. After all, since I was 14 when I had the crown, she paid for it, so it's technically HER gold.

^^^ this. Definitely a mother’s day gift that will have a great story she can tell. I’m sure Dave T could make a lovely feminine charm or pendant of some sort

Posts: 4783 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:
I hear that William Devane buys gold whenever he can.

Harrumph!

When you need advice about gold, go right to the top:

GLENN BECK !!!

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15909 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post