SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    had my upper teeth extracted and implants put in
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

had my upper teeth extracted and implants put in Login/Join 
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted
I have had better days. My previous teeth were a connected crown supported by my natural teeth. Worked fine for nearly 4 years and then I fractured two of the support teeth below the gum line. Ouch.

Not enough bone for conventional implants and I've worn a full upper partial long enough to know I don't want dentures so I'm going for a 5 in 1 denture implant. Surgeon placed 5 implants and prosthodontist made a set of conventional upper transitional dentures. I will wear these tds 4 months while implants imbed to the jawbone then the new implant dentures will be screwed into the implants. supposed to be the next best thing to natural teeth. Finish the top and then do the bottoms, and another 4 months wait, which will be much easier since there is little bone loss.

Full sedation during surgery and I've got 21 hydrocodone/acetaminophen pills to get me through the next couple days. Dr said I probably would not need them but I insisted. Not that it matters but oral surgeon is mid-late 30s and smokin hot. From Morocco so she's got a European accent and in my drugged up mind she was wearing thigh high black boots and a fishnet bustier while operating. Cool

Posts: 4828 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry, what did you say you were in for? Wink

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10362 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I hope it goes well for you.

The third sentence of the third paragraph sounds like an intro to Penthouse forum. Smile

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36898 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Oh man that sounds painful. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Be VERY careful with those pills. Getting off that shit hurt worse than post op pain from my two back surgeries.

& P220 you ain’t lying man! It does read that way Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21238 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These procedures are not like wisdom teeth removal. Typically pain is best handled with ibuprofen 800mg which is actually more effective than hydrocodone. The procedure sounds worse than it is. The followup is painstaking with frequent appointments etc. Hope you have a Waterpik to clean under the prosthesis. The cost is the biggest pain, about the price of a new mid size sedan.

Posts: 17529 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Glad the worst is over. I have two of my uppers recently pulled (actually one is only 1/3 pulled as it cracked while I was in the hospital). Fortunately my dentist says I have excellent bone density, so I'll be getting full implants (why not, I already have 4 in there).

As has been said, the most painful part is the cost.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16951 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Actually there will not be what I consider an exorbitant amount of appointments. I go back a week from Friday to get the sutures removed. Prosthodontist had my teeth ready from a prior fitting. With good luck she will get denture adjusted in a couple visits perhaps even one. She is a pros's pro. Teaches at UK and she is taking my case as a personal challenge. Most of the time will be spent waiting for the implants to firmly adhere to the jawbone but there will be a few visits. The good news is they won't hurt and surgeon is smoking hot and sweet as she can be.

4 years ago I went to prosthodontist on the advice/referral of a well trusted maxillofacial surgeon. She thought she could save and cap my natural teeth with a single cantilever denture. Was working well until a couple weeks ago the canine tooth breaks /snaps under the gum line, Dull pain that's getting worse and infection set in. I have no idea when or how it breaks - just bad luck - Had to come out and regular implants weren't an option due to bone loss. Prosthodontist is cutting her price some because we gambled (her idea) on my old teeth and lost. The surgeons bill for 13 extractions and 10 implants is around $18k.

Took a cone 3d xray and are going to angle the 5 upper implants to distribute the torque and pressure from a single upper denture bolted down in in 5 places.

My bottom teeth are ok but there have been many advancements in the past 4 years and the bottoms are easier/cheaper so I'm going to get them done too.

As far as the pain pills go, 21 is all I've got and you can bet your bippy I'm using them. It does hurt right now. I asked the dr about dependency. she said it's a funny thing - when you are genuinely taking opioids for pain, addiction isn't really an issue. I've got 3 days worth and I'm going to use as needed.

I do agree that ibuprofen and acetaminophen are remarkable otc pain relievers. I take one of each and that cures most any aches and pain I have. This dental thing is a little worse but I expect I could get by with otc but at age 70 I'm not going to turn down the strong stuff. I quit a heavy cigarette habit in 1996 and kicked booze out of my life in 98. I'm not worried about 3 days worth of 325-5 pain pills putting a monkey on my back.

Posts: 4828 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
My teeth need some work but not that bad. I don't think I could tolerate a procedure you describe. At the age I'm at now I'm going to try to run them until the end. Big Grin

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8627 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dental pain is nothing. The real hurt is in the bill for it.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3634 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Did she pick the safe word or did she let you do it?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17620 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not that it matters but oral surgeon is mid-late 30s and smokin hot.

Yeah, I can see that it didn’t matter

Posts: 13598 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
I'm about to go through the same thing. I've worn a full upper denture for 4yrs and my remaining 10 lower teeth are mostly terminal. I've wondered about the cost and know while expensive, it varies a bit by surgeon and dental plan. I'm retired military and have the Delta Dental High Plan (best DD plan) and aren't sure but don't think it will cover more than a fraction of the expense. The surgeon my dentist referred me to, and I have an appointment with, is in the DD network. Guess I'll find out more December 7th when the oral & maxillofacial surgeon examines and evaluates me.

Posts: 4841 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
Another note of caution about the pain meds...they may cause constipation. I don't now your dose is long enough or strong enough to do so but be aware of the possibility. If it does happen ask your smokin hawt DDS about it. Or if you don't want to discuss it with her because who wants to talk about shit with a hot lady, ask you primary Dr or pharmacist.

I don't remember exactly but if I remember correctly it's not 'normal' constipation. It's caused by the meds screwing with the muscle function and isn't fixed with diet. Probably not so much for your situation but imagine have abdominal surgery and straining to shit.

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^^Correct. If a problem, take some OTC "PEG" polyethylene glycol (MiraLAX, Purelax).

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16951 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Every tooth I ever had a root canal and crowned cracked. Didn’t know I was grinding my teeth so badly. Lost to many teeth and started with an upper denture. Not terrible but not ideal, especially for eating things like steak. When it came time for the bottom teeth to be addressed, I went a different route. Cost two arms and a leg and a half but I had mini denture implants put in on the same day they pulled what bottom teeth were left on the bottom. Then they just screwed titanium posts into the jawbone, did a lot of fitting, and then I has a lower denture that locks onto the 6 posts that protrude a little. Wish I’d done these for the top.

Posts: 6045 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post