SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    too many white kids, cut the school budget
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

too many white kids, cut the school budget Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted
http://abc7.com/education/race...age-in-noho/1818792/

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Outrage has grown at Walter Reed Middle School in North Hollywood, as the school faces layoffs and increased class sizes due to a law limiting funds for schools with a higher white student body.

The Los Angeles Unified School District provides more funding for schools where the white population is below 30 percent.

In a letter to parents, the district noted the highly regarded middle school had been above the percentage for the past couple years.

The racial formula was a condition imposed by court decisions dealing with desegregation in the 1970s.

"Thankfully we're going to keep our librarian. We're going to keep our nurse, but we may lose a few teachers, but not as many as we once thought," said Sheila Edmiston, one student's parent.

Several jobs will still be lost and class sizes could grow. For many parents, the race-based reason of "too many white students" has made the cuts more difficult to swallow.

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is this RACIST or what????? If they said black kids, instead of white kids was the reason the NAACP and every single one of those loud mouths like Jesse Jackson would be all over this.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
WTF......

Having several family members work as teaches in schools ranging from 90% student body on free lunches to one of the top rate public HS in the country I can so throwing money doesn't change results.

Parents play the biggest role in student success for 95% of the students. When Mom/dad don't help/push/encourage the kids there is only so much the teachers can do.

Basing student/teacher ratios on demographics is retarded.

Oh and BTW when principals return disruptive students to class because punishing them would make the school/principal look bad doesn't help either. Today's education system is full of problems.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16450 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
The whole story wasn't told.

In California Title 1 schools get additional funds as do schools with a high minority population. As with most government agencies, once they get their hands on money (and don't use it for its purpose) the agency doesn't want to let it go.

In this case the school received funds due to the high minority population. Now that the demographics have changed,the population is screaming and the school doesn't want to lose money it wasn't spending correctly.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14147 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
WTF......

Having several family members work as teaches in schools ranging from 90% student body on free lunches to one of the top rate public HS in the country I can so throwing money doesn't change results.

Parents play the biggest role in student success for 95% of the students. When Mom/dad don't help/push/encourage the kids there is only so much the teachers can do.

Basing student/teacher ratios on demographics is retarded.

Oh and BTW when principals return disruptive students to class because punishing them would make the school/principal look bad doesn't help either. Today's education system is full of problems.

Just one more example of a gubbermint gone totally, batshit crazy.

More money to schools with a special racially divided student body?

I can see a desire to improve the schools, but what amounts to discrimination is not the answer.

How about putting qualified teachers in the class rooms? How about holding teachers accountable for student performance?

What a concept!!!! Actually holding people accountable for how well, or not, they do the job for which they are getting paid.

But then, I come out of a profession/career in which EVERY person was on a performance plan, with real objective performance measurements, periodic reviews. Salary and promotions based on actual performance.

Good teachers, those whose performance is proven by student success, should be rewarded. Bad teachers should be replaced with good ones.

I can't say that bad schools are limited to black populations. However, when I spent a year on assignment to the top HBCU (Historically Black College or University, the qualification requirements of incoming students was staggering. The best descriptive term I can find is grossly under qualified to be in any college setting.

And, it had absolutely nothing to do with the kids being black. It had to do with their teachers, including at the college, that did not require the students to actually learn.

Example: I found some cheating going on with some of my students. I checked with teachers in the accounting department and they told me that they experienced THIRTY PERCENT of their students cheating on exams.

The explanation on how to deal with it was, "We make up several copies of the exams, mix them up and hand them out. If a student copies from another the odds are that they will copy a wrong answer!!

I asked why they just didn't stop the cheating in the first place, and they had no answer. It was apparently too hard for them to comprehend.

The first semester I was there I established the policy on cheating on day one of class. Explained that cheating would get the cheater thrown out of class with a failing grade.

Caught 3 kids cheating, threw them out, grade of F. Second semester nobody cheated.

Was I tough? Yes! And the kids appreciated it.

When I left at the end of the academic year I was stopped when leaving the campus by a number of my students. They were in tears! Wanted to know who was going to care about them when I was gone.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
But, what if the white kids identify as black?

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2197 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Wow. They are going to need a really big safe space.........and maybe some emotional support animals too.

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
That makes as much sense as basing funding on how many of the school's lunch ladies (persons?) have blond hair. Roll Eyes

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21108 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
Wow. They are going to need a really big safe space.........and maybe some emotional support animals too.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10592 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
These are the same idiots who are outraged at the thought of Sanctuary Cities losing federal funding. Roll Eyes

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

In California Title 1 schools get additional funds as do schools with a high minority population. As with most government agencies, once they get their hands on money (and don't use it for its purpose) the agency doesn't want to let it go.

In this case the school received funds due to the high minority population. Now that the demographics have changed,the population is screaming and the school doesn't want to lose money it wasn't spending correctly.

It sure seems to me that the whole story was told. Now that you're white you get less.

Posts: 6504 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wishfull thinker:
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

It sure seems to me that the whole story was told. Now that you're white you get less.

I think there are two realities in play here. First, white students get less funding per student than non-white students. Second, (though not specifically mentioned), there is little, if any, correlation between how much "bonus" funding is provided for non-white students and any improvement in non-white student performance. The reason is because, as noted above, too much education money is spent on the whims and fancies of the educators.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
...and the trees are all kept equal, by hatchet, axe and saw...

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Successful schools have to be brought down to the lowest common denominator using these rules . . . .

Posts: 2812 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:

Given the context, that is not a bad description.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:

Given the context, that is not a bad description.

Posts: 7485 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post