SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    LMPD officer dies after fiery crash
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LMPD officer dies after fiery crash Login/Join 
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted
http://www.wdrb.com/story/3502...es-after-fiery-crash

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- A Louisville Metro Police officer who was in critical condition after a fiery crash in west Louisville on Tuesday night has died.

Mayor Greg Fischer and LMPD Chief Steve Conrad said in a joint news conference at University Hospital that the officer, Nick Rodman, died at 3:40 p.m. Wednesday after suffering a severe head injury.

Rodman, who had been with the department for more than three years, was pursuing a suspect around 8 p.m. Tuesday when his cruiser was hit near 26th and Duncan Streets. His cruiser was heavily damaged and caught fire. He had to be extricated from the wreckage before being rushed to University Hospital.

Rodman has a wife and two young children. His father and brother are also LMPD officers.

Fischer called Rodman "a man of compassion and commitment ... and a wonderful public servant."

Conrad said the incident Tuesday started with a calls of shots fired just before 8 p.m. at 26th and Madison Streets. Three more calls came shortly thereafter, including one for an assault.

"If there was something going on, Nick was in the middle of it," Conrad said. "That's the kind of police officer Nick was."

Once on scene, Rodman attempted to join the pursuit of a suspect at the intersection of 26th and Duncan Streets. He had a green light, and as he attempted to turn, his cruiser was hit in what Conrad called a "very violent" collision.

There is no word on the condition of other people involved in the violent crash. But at least one other person was taken by ambulance from the scene.

The suspect in the case is charged with murder.

Dozens of LMPD vehicles were parked outside University Hospital on Wednesday morning as officers kept vigil. Conrad stayed until the early morning hours. He said hundreds of officers stopped to show support.

"Nick died doing what he wanted to do," Conrad said, holding back tears. "He died doing what he was born to do: serving this community.

"We truly, truly lost a good man."

Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin released a statement Wednesday evening:

"It is with great sadness we learned of the tragic death of LMPD officer, Nick Rodman.

We are heartbroken for his family, his friends, and the Louisville Metro Police Department at the news of this devastating loss. Our thoughts and prayers will be with this community in the days and months ahead.

This is a terrible tragedy, and a painful reminder of the selfless bravery of those who choose to protect and serve us. We are grateful.

Let's bind together as Kentuckians and let the LMPD, as well as all other law enforcement communities, know they have our full support. We must protect those who protect us."
The department is asking the public to keep the officer's family in their thoughts and prayers. A police memorial will be held at the county fallen officers' memorial in Jefferson Square in downtown Louisville at 10 a.m. Thursday.

Funeral arrangement for Rodman are pending.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2798 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Prayers for the fallen and his family...

Posts: 13861 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
very sad news

RIP officer

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53786 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
"He died doing what he was born to do: serving this community.

This part stings my heart. I honestly don't know how you officers do what you do everyday, but I am forever grateful to each of you. I pray his family finds peace eventually.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29906 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh man, this sucks. A work friends daughter is LMPD and at 3:00 PM today we were talking about this wreck.

At last he heard from his daughter he (the officer involved) was in critical condition but expected to pull through.

It makes me very sad to hear this. Prayers for the officers family.

ARman

Posts: 3213 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted Hide Post
I did twenty years with LPD/LMPD, retired in 2011. I'm sick to my stomach today. Words can't really express my feelings and thoughts about this young man.

Posts: 1783 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
RIP officer Rodman Frown

Prayers for the wife and two little ones.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21108 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Terrible, I hope the suspect was caught and will be charged with the murder of a police officer.

Prayer for his family, especially his children and their friends.

Rip

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19709 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Terrible, I hope the suspect was caught and will be charged with the murder of a police officer.

Rip

It's my understanding that the suspect is the one who hit him.

Posts: 1783 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
quote:
"He died doing what he was born to do: serving this community.

This part stings my heart. I honestly don't know how you officers do what you do everyday, but I am forever grateful to each of you. I pray his family finds peace eventually.

Darth, you beat me to it. Have to check my monitor, getting fuzzy again.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by techguy:
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:

Rip

It's my understanding that the suspect is the one who hit him.

My understanding as well. He's been charged with murder.

Posts: 1527 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Good on being charged.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19709 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
A crushing loss for his family, blood and blue. So sorry for this loss.

Posts: 400 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44460 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
RIP, Officer Rodman.

Remembered over here by the tac family.

tac & Mrs tac

Posts: 11439 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post