SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cigar smokers..come on in..newby question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cigar smokers..come on in..newby question Login/Join 
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted
Good evening, I just got interested in smoking cigars a couple of months ago I just ordered a large batch today as of before I've only been buying singles I have my own humidor which is a small 50 count box my question is do I store my new cigars with the cellophane wrappers that they come in or do I need to take them out of the plastic wrappers before storing them in the humidor?? Thx for helping

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3318 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I leave mine in the cellophane so I know which ones are machine rolled and which ones are rolled by hand.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
, i have 2 that are hand-rolled that I bought up in Dallas but they are Churchill size and everything I bought are pretty much medium to short size I just got done reading a book call the ultimate cigar book and I could have sworn that somewhere in there it said do not store them in the cellophane wrappers if they come in because they need to breathe and absorb moisture I've been back over that chapter three times and cannot find where it says that

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,

Posts: 3318 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
If I may ask a question I have always wondered, when cigars are manufactured, are they stored in humidors at the factory? If no, then why is it so important that they be stored in a humidor rather than "conditioned" in a humidor prior to smoking?

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
Exec questions...i yield to the pros..anyone?? I'm going to go out on a limb and say that most cigars are manufactured in a tropical humid climate where the humidity is probably close to 100% but when you bring it here to the states and other countries where it's not as high that tobacco needs to maintain a certain moisture content in order to keep its flavor and not dry out I would assume that this with the humidors are designed to replicate

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,

posted Hide Post
I leave in the wrapper.

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I remove them, just prefer to do it that way, however I’m not sure it makes a huge difference

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Removing the cellophane wrappers is really a preference deal, IMO. I sometimes take 'em off out of sheer boredom, or I leave them on, doesn't really make a difference with me. And wrappers do not denote hand made vs. machine made. I have Arturo Fuente Anejos that are wrapped in cellophane (and cedar), and they certainly are not machine rolled. All of my cigars that came in wrappers are all hand rolled.

As far as humidity, 100% Rh is way too wet. I keep my collection at 65% - 70% Rh. Cubans seem to prefer 65% and the others at 70%. But I really do not sweat it too much. Temperature is more crucial to me; if it is too warm (+75-80% F), cigars are more susceptible to eggs hatching into beetles.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16679 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I always left the wrappers on. It let me label them with the date, purchase location, etc.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It doesn’t matter too much honestly—purely personal preference. When buying singles at my local brick and mortar shop, I prefer cellophane. Without cellophane, imagine other people touching and sniffing that cigar before you with questionable hygiene practices.

Just scored me a sealed box of La Flor Dominicana Andalusian Bulls today. =) I just happened to be at the shop enjoying a Whiskey Rebellion Intemperance when the shipment came in.

With regard to whether factories keep them in humidors, my understanding from several YouTube factory tours looks like they keep them in humidors for storing or aging purposes.

Posts: 597 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: September 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can store your cigars with the cellophane on in your humidor. The wrappers are not air tight and will breathe and absorb moisture. The cellophane will also protect the fragile outer tobacco wrapper from damage.
All reputable importers, wholesalers, distributors, and retailers will hold their inventory in fully humidity/temperature controlled environments. The largest will have several hundred thousand sq.ft. of humidified warehousing. The biggest threat to cigars comes with the shipment to the final customer if it involves very slow delivery and sits on the truck in summer heat excessively. This is very rare.
When your cigars are delivered they can arrive in a "sick" condition. Kind of like shock due to climate change from warehouse to delivery. If possible it is best to let them rest for several days in your humidor to stabilize. You will appreciate the wait.

Posts: 100 | Location: Myrtle Beach SC | Registered: August 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
Leave them On or Off is a personal preference... as the cello is not plastic, it's actually made from cellulose. Therefore they can breath and me personally, I like to do the least amount of work. But it's pretty cool to see the cello change color (brown) over time as well. Another reason I like leaving the cello On, is on stuff I'm aging I like to date (month/year) when I bought the cigars.

The temp down in the islands and some of the country's that manufacture cigars year round is around 75-78 degrees and 70% percent humidity. Which is considered the ideal environment. As you get more into the hobby you'll find the sweet spots in humidity that you like and what the cigar likes.
My baseline for years now has always remained the same:
Cubans / Maduros / Nicaraguans - 68-69%
Connecticut - 70%
Cameroon - 71-72%

Don't forget to season your humidor...

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I leave the wrappers on. I did buy a batch of AF Anejo from a fellow, he had opened the cellophane and cut it back to the tip. I liked that idea but have never taken the time to do it.

I don't like mixing cigars that are out of the wrapper, I keep those separated in the humidor.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
It is mostly a personal preference. I remove them. Since you are in Texas I would recommend you keep your humidity in your humidor a little lower than the widely used 70% if possible. Heartfelt industries makes great humidifiers, the 65% are what I use.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaywendland1981:
It is mostly a personal preference. I remove them. Since you are in Texas I would recommend you keep your humidity in your humidor a little lower than the widely used 70% if possible. Heartfelt industries makes great humidifiers, the 65% are what I use.

I don't know about others but temp is crucial for my stash.
I like to keep mine at 65 degrees as no way would the wife let me keep the house at 65-70 year round.
So mine are "chilled" in a converted wine cooler and stuffed with XKAR beads and solution and monitored with a Bluetooth temp/humidity gauge (don't have to open the door to check).
YMMV

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
Same here, I have 2 wineadors. Kept at 65, having a stable temp helps keep your RH% very stable as well.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaywendland1981:

You can buy a walk-in humidor at Costco now. A bit expensive but cool.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Removing the cellophane wrappers is really a preference deal, IMO. I sometimes take 'em off out of sheer boredom, or I leave them on, doesn't really make a difference with me. And wrappers do not denote hand made vs. machine made. I have Arturo Fuente Anejos that are wrapped in cellophane (and cedar), and they certainly are not machine rolled. All of my cigars that came in wrappers are all hand rolled.

As far as humidity, 100% Rh is way too wet. I keep my collection at 65% - 70% Rh. Cubans seem to prefer 65% and the others at 70%. But I really do not sweat it too much. Temperature is more crucial to me; if it is too warm (+75-80% F), cigars are more susceptible to eggs hatching into beetles.

^^^
Agree with oddball. Personal preference. If the humidity is too high, they'll become susceptible to mold. You don't need a high end humidor either; lots of people use sterilite containers vs expensive wooden humidors. You just need to get a good hydrometer to monitor temp and humidity levels. Welcome to the club; love me a good cigar!

Posts: 132 | Location: PA | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
Thx fellas, enjoy your smokes!

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,

Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted Hide Post
I got this one for Christmas. https://www.amazon.com/F-s-s-W...pacity/dp/B00OPCLPE4

I threw a Boveda pack in there and it's been the perfect humidor. I have two other humidors that are no longer used since they were not airtight. This is perfect for casual smokers like myself. I highly recommend it.

The Working Police.....
"We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful."

Posts: 2514 | Location: "Mag"azine Mile | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post