SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Minnesota business begins selling alcohol on Sundays...3 months early
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Minnesota business begins selling alcohol on Sundays...3 months early Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
Minnesota's liquor stores are finally going to be able to be open on Sunday's effective July 1st; we are one of the last states to fall. Local businesses have fought it for years, claiming extra labor costs without seeing an increase in sales.

The Governor has signed the law and one local business decided not to wait til July and opened today. The place was packed (which seems silly to me) and the online and TV publicity they received was somewhat over the top.

The questions I have:
- I wonder if the ownership will be fined/punished somehow. You have to believe that their lawyers gave the the okay to do this.

- What happens next Sunday? It was a major push from Target, CostCo and Total Wine that got this law changed. Will they follow along next weekend?

- What is the rule of law? This was supposed to start July 1st. Is that just a guideline?

- It is funny reading the comments after the story. Minnesota is overall a law abiding state, yet I cannot believe the number of people in support of the store that opened today.

http://www.startribune.com/sur...uor-law/415981344/#1

Surdyk's, the family-owned liquor store in northeast Minneapolis, issued a social-media blast Sunday morning saying the store would be open from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Yes, the 159-year-old ban on Sunday liquor sales was lifted, but the first day of legal sales was to be Sunday, July 2.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12335 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
They probably figured that with the law changing the authorities will have little gusto to go after the violation.

Which they might be right, but with the government can sometimes decide to screw you if you don't respect their authority.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
- UPDATE -
Just watched the story on the news.

$3500 in city fines today. Whatever this costs him, he will always be known as the business who started first. Crazy publicity here today.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12335 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
- UPDATE -
Just watched the story on the news.

$3500 in city fines today. Whatever this costs him, he will always be known as the business who started first. Crazy publicity here today.

Cheaper than a full page sunday paper ad....

Posts: 23461 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
- It is funny reading the comments after the story. Minnesota is overall a law abiding state, yet I cannot believe the number of people in support of the store that opened today.

I think most people just recognize how utterly antiquated and stupid this particular law, and all others of the sort are.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
for people not from the area, Surdyk's is a Minneapolis institution. I haven't lived there for a long time but that was my go to place to buy liquor. Huge selection at great prices. Family owned and operated.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I've never really understood why Protestants and born-again types are so adamantly against drinking alcohol, given Jesus' first miracle.

State run stores here are closed on Sundays as well. You can still buy package liquor in bars that offer it though.

Posts: 20109 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chance:
for people not from the area, Surdyk's is a Minneapolis institution. I haven't lived there for a long time but that was my go to place to buy liquor. Huge selection at great prices. Family owned and operated.

And they have cheesemongers! Any cheese they have in stock, if you want a sample, they'll cut a chunk off and tell you anything you want to know about it... Nearly every time I've been there I've spent way more on cheese than booze Big Grin.

As far as Sunday liquor sales - I'm not a huge drinker so that really doesn't impact me much. I won't be buying more just because they're open on Sunday.

Posts: 1802 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dry counties in Minnesota and other states seems like an even more antiquated law.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
- UPDATE -

Play silly games...win silly prizes.

Owner Jim Surdyk opened his doors for business on Sunday even though Sunday liquor sales in Minnesota won’t be allowed until July 2.

30 day suspension IN July

http://www.startribune.com/loc...polis/416052964.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ronin1069,

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Minnesota's liquor stores are finally going to be able to be open on Sunday's effective July 1st; we are one of the last states to fall.

Probably not surprisingly, Utah liquor stores are still closed on Sundays and holidays.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shop early and beat the rush.

Where's the beer!

Posts: 475 | Location: Oro Valley, Arizona | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I've never really understood why Protestants and born-again types are so adamantly against drinking alcohol, given Jesus' first miracle.

State run stores here are closed on Sundays as well. You can still buy package liquor in bars that offer it though.

It's the Puritan "Sabbath is holy" hangover. Known as "Blue Laws" these were intended to support religious beliefs. Strangely courts have upheld theses laws even with their Protestant religious reasons. Blue Laws are intended to keep people at home and in church.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

It's the Puritan "Sabbath is holy" hangover. Known as "Blue Laws" these were intended to support religious beliefs. Strangely courts have upheld theses laws even with their Protestant religious reasons. Blue Laws are intended to keep people at home and in church.

All these laws do is make me plan ahead and buy twice as much booze on Saturday.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Minnesota's liquor stores are finally going to be able to be open on Sunday's effective July 1st; we are one of the last states to fall.

Probably not surprisingly, Utah liquor stores are still closed on Sundays and holidays.

Texas, too.

No alcohol sales at all before noon on Sundays, liquor stores closed all day (and unlike some states, only liquor stores can sell liquor here - not grocery stores, gas stations, etc.).

So basically, you can buy beer and wine after noon on Sundays, no liquor at all on Sundays.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat

No alcohol sales at all before noon on Sundays, liquor stores closed all day (and unlike some states, only liquor stores can sell liquor here - not grocery stores, gas stations, etc.).

So basically, you can buy beer and wine after noon on Sundays, no liquor at all on Sundays.

NC is the same way....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
(and unlike some states, only liquor stores can sell liquor here - not grocery stores, gas stations, etc.).

Utah is the same.

In fact New Jersey is the same as well. Furthermore, beer can only be bought at liquor stores in Jersey (with the exception of packaged goods at a bar). One major plus about New Jersey though is that any restaurant that doesn't serve alcohol is BYOB. So if it suits your fancy, you can sit down with a six pack at McDonald's to go with your Big Mac and fries.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
- UPDATE -

Play silly games...win silly prizes.

Owner Jim Surdyk opened his doors for business on Sunday even though Sunday liquor sales in Minnesota won’t be allowed until July 2.

30 day suspension IN July

http://www.startribune.com/loc...polis/416052964.html

Ouch.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5323 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:

I, too, think that keeping people at home and in church is a good idea, but IMO they've picked the wrong vehicle to get to that end.

Here's to being Catholic! We like our booze. Big Grin

(Some recruiter I'd make. Roll Eyes Big Grin)

Posts: 20109 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Lynchburg Tennessee, the home of Jack Daniels, is in a dry county. No alcohol sales ever.

-----------------------------------

Posts: 2424 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post