SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Auto mechanics and car aficionados....glove box issue.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Auto mechanics and car aficionados....glove box issue. Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted
Greetings and Happy Thanksgiving Leftovers Day!!!

I have a 2011 Toyota Venza with a little over 34,200 miles. It has developed (for some time) a rattle in the glove box/compartment that is extremely annoying. I don't know if it's being caused by the lower hinge or the latch assembly. Once isolated, what in the heck can I do to eliminate the rattle? At highway speeds, it's beyond irritating.

Thanks!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
If the latch, is think a padded shim to restrict door movement.
Hinges, are they loose?

Could it be something behind the glove box? Cabin filter?

Does the rattle go away with pressure on the glove box door?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15365 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Try a little block of adhesive backed foam weather strip.

Posts: 7470 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
Do you have the usual 8lbs. of junk in a 5lbs. glove box?

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 21bubba:

Or mittens

Posts: 7470 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
quote:
Originally posted by 21bubba:

Or mittens

I don't think it's Mittens...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43916 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Turn the stereo high-fi up louder.

Posts: 26935 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Turn the stereo high-fi up louder.

That is EXACTLY what my x-wife did when she heard "funny" noises coming from under the hood......it got expensive!!!

Posts: 6629 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Don't worry about the noise, worry when it stops.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:

That's seriously funny!

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:

I hate it when that happens.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I wrapped a strip of electrical tape around the bar where the latch hooks into, to snug it up.

Posts: 7424 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
LOL!!! You guys are hilarious!!! Big Grin

Thanks for the ideas and the laughs...I'll try some of them and see if it fixes the rattle.

P25OUA5...It isn't anything behind the glove box and the rattle DOES stop with I put pressure on the door.

21bubba...box isn't overloaded. Cool

arfmel...I have my 8-track player at a comfortable volume on my Radio Shack Hi-Fi. Razz

Thanks again y'all.... Smile

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine did that until I filled it with ammo.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem and ended up putting a piece of stiff foam on the inside to create some extra pressure.

quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
Try a little block of adhesive backed foam weather strip.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4336 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Well didja git'er fixed?

Posts: 11860 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not the bass vibrating stuff in the glove box is it?

Also any tips on getting a stuck 8 track out? I'm getting tired of listening to Slim Whitman. Smile

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Well didja git'er fixed?

I'm curious if he got it fixed too. My fiancee's 2010 Camry's glove box occasionally rattles too and was thinking about ordering some new glove box bumpers because it drives me nuts when I'm in her car.

Posts: 1806 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Does it rattle when you are in the back seat or the front seat or both?? Roll Eyes Wink

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Typical Toyota glovebox has two horizontal gravity stops on either side. If you remove those and let the box drop further you can replace the cabin air filter. You can also see the mounting screws at the hinge and gain screwdriver or nutdriver access. Tighten those fasteners and replace cabin air filter. Reattach gravity straps.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5057 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post