SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Computer experts, please step inside...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Computer experts, please step inside... Login/Join 
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted
Once upon a time, I used to be considered a "computer expert". Unfortunately, career changes took me away from keeping up on on the latest technologies, especially home networking!

Here is my situation, and my dilemma... My household has a total of 4 laptop computers in use, and a wireless network that is connected to the internet. From my current computer, I can "see" all computers currently in operation (3 of the 4), but the only one I can view the HDD on is the one I'm on. The other two are asking for a User ID and a Password, and I have no idea how to find those! One of the other two in operation is also my laptop (one I'm trying to retire and get all needed data off of it onto my current one), so primarily I need to go on it and find out the User ID and Password needed to access it across the network, yet I simply cannot figure out how to do it!

Anyone who can walk me through this process, I would greatly appreciate your time! Thanks!!!

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On windows 10, and in a few cases 7, you need to have a user/password set for network browsing (what you are trying to do).

for win10:
On the machine you are trying to access remotely, go to start/settings/accounts - that page will be the current user, then there is a side-menu option for passwords. If you don't have one, add one.

Then browse to the networked computer & use that user & password and you should be able to get access.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
It’s asking you for a valid username/password on the target machine. If you’re on computer A a d trying to access the hard drive on computer B, then you will have to have a valid username/password that exists on computer B.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
As far Windows is concerned, make sure you are SHARING resources on the other computers and that that the User you are using from your computer also exists on the others or you will need to provide a valid user/password that exists on the trget computers.

Shared resources can be devices, drives, folders, etc.

0therwise you will only the machines are part of the network.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12110 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
A little education never hurt anyone.
Look at this: https://www.howtogeek.com/scho...ork-sharing/lesson2/

Basically you need to:
1: Share out a folder
2: Say what users can access it
3: Connect using UNC path or finding it by browsing the network
4: Nomenclature is: {unc path} > \\computername\username
5: Then use the password and username setup on the original computer

Way too much to quickly post here but look over the above info.

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
On windows 10, and in a few cases 7, you need to have a user/password set for network browsing (what you are trying to do).

for win10:
On the machine you are trying to access remotely, go to start/settings/accounts - that page will be the current user, then there is a side-menu option for passwords. If you don't have one, add one.

Then browse to the networked computer & use that user & password and you should be able to get access.
Tried this, but when I go to the default user account, there is no side menu option for passwords! The closest thing available is 'Sign-in Options' where I can set or change a password, but that is for the Microsoft Account password, not for networking. Is that supposed to be the same thing?

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
A little education never hurt anyone.
Look at this: https://www.howtogeek.com/scho...ork-sharing/lesson2/

Basically you need to:
1: Share out a folder
2: Say what users can access it
3: Connect using UNC path or finding it by browsing the network
4: Nomenclature is: {unc path} > \\computername\username
5: Then use the password and username setup on the original computer

Way too much to quickly post here but look over the above info.

Thanks! Will dig into that when my brain is not so tired and I've had some sleep. Finding the username and password as originally set up is my biggest issue at the moment...

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:

Tried this, but when I go to the default user account, there is no side menu option for passwords! The closest thing available is 'Sign-in Options' where I can set or change a password, but that is for the Microsoft Account password, not for networking. Is that supposed to be the same thing?

Just to reiterate to look over the tutorial link, it is a lot that can be taken in and it can get quite extensive if need be.

However, the Microsoft Account is different from a "local" account which is what you need to connect.
MS (and is a big gripe of mine) will force an online MS account if you don't by pass it.
It confuses users who don't know what it is, how to set it up or access or change it.
It will however keep track of your MS products including licenses, etc which can be useful.
Your edition of Windows is a Home Edition which does not have the standard users/group config section that the Pro edition does and makes setting up users/passwords much easier.
There is an option to revert to a "local" account in lieu of the MS Account.
You also can configure additional users.

A user set up tutorial:
https://www.windowscentral.com...-settings-windows-10

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Just to reiterate to look over the tutorial link, it is a lot that can be taken in and it can get quite extensive if need be.

However, the Microsoft Account is different from a "local" account which is what you need to connect.
MS (and is a big gripe of mine) will force an online MS account if you don't by pass it.
It confuses users who don't know what it is, how to set it up or access or change it.
It will however keep track of your MS products including licenses, etc which can be useful.
Your edition of Windows is a Home Edition which does not have the standard users/group config section that the Pro edition does and makes setting up users/passwords much easier.

A user set up tutorial:

Okay, thanks! Doing yard work right now so will try to tackle it this evening.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

A user set up tutorial:

Okay, thanks! Doing yard work right now so will try to tackle it this evening.

Sorry, I didn't think about this since I skip that online account bullshit.

if you right-click the folder you are wanting to get (on the physical computer it's on) and click 'properties'. the security tab will tell you which accounts can access it. On the sharing tab, you'll need to share the folder to access it over the network.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post