SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you care about accolades?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you care about accolades? Login/Join 
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted
Now I'm not going to get into the whole value of these things when it comes to social access or, career advancement and the like. Which, ultimately that's what you're glad for. I mean just the accolade as it exists on it's own.

Question:
Be it employee of the month, or being knighted. How do you feel about accolades?

Choices:
I love them
I don't really care beyond the perks
Meh, who care's?
I hate them, and everything they stand for.

Posts: 8151 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a cop, you learn that hollow praise is often given in lieu of salary raise.
A simple acknowledgement of something well done is fine with me.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16103 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Unless it involves 1)money 2)pussy 3)food 4)booze, then I don't really give a shit. My dog however is quite partial to accolades, so I voted 'I love them' for her. Her computer skills are limited.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15486 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Accolades? Are those Cadillacs or Lexus?

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I appreciate being recognized for doing a good job or going above and beyond. Just a word from higher up that they noticed, not a big production.

The "everybody gets a trophy" stuff just annoys the shit out of me.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15251 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ Same here.

If its deserved I think it great and feels good. But so much is overdone in the false praise dept..

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Could not answer. Depends upon whether it's both deserved and sincere.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Show me the money.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I think most people like being recognized for hard work, or extra effort, whatever.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I appreciate being recognized for doing a good job or going above and beyond. Just a word from higher up that they noticed, not a big production.

The "everybody gets a trophy" stuff just annoys the shit out of me.

^^^^ This. x1,000.

Posts: 9055 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The employee of the month certificate doesn't buy me lunch.

Posts: 4282 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I've got some people under me that do some amazing work. Unfortunately that will never be reflected in pay. I try to sing their praise when I can. I feel like I can't do enough...and what's worse for them is the most worthless moron gets the same increase of pay.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
That’s David’s brother, right? Seems like a good dude to me.

But seriously, all the stuff Shugart said.

Posts: 10759 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
Unless it involves 1)money 2)pussy 3)food 4)booze.

quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
Show me the money.

Why stop at option 1? Wink

quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

^^^ Same for me.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Nope, don’t care. And I feel I deserve some props for feeling that way.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15606 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Who doesn't enjoy acknowledgement of a job well done.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20831 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Didn't see my answer among the choices. If it's just something silly at work - I don't care about accolades. BUT - sincere stuff from people I care about = yes please.

Got an unknown one the other day and I really liked it. My daughter came in from work and grabbed some pulled pork out of a tupperware and was eating it. She said "Where did you buy this? It's really good !!" and I was happy to say "I did." It was some from a month or so ago that I had frozen. So she didn't know who made it, but gave them a complement that was heartfelt. I like that kind of accolade.

Or my wife telling me how she appreciates something I did. Those are good.

Getting a silly paperweight for doing something at work - don't need it. My boss telling me good job - it's okay, but I'd rather see it in my paycheck.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I avoid it. I prefer a short statement of gratitude which I return in kind. I don't want praise. I don't want fanfare. I would rather humbly serve and create my own reward cumulatively. This of course will never make me rich but that hasn't been a priority for me for decades. I am fulfilled when others are served. If I could pay my bills with that I'd be fine without money.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29713 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been with the same employer for almost 19 years. Early on, as a small employee-owned company and with my bosses sitting next to me, it was easy to be rewarded and acknowledged.

Since two corporate buy-outs, working from home for 15 years, on the road a lot, and rarely making it into the corporate office, accolades and raises are far and few between. If you like my work, give me a bonus or decent raise.

P229

Posts: 3836 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
Unless it involves 1)money 2)pussy 3)food 4)booze, then I don't really give a shit. My dog however is quite partial to accolades, so I voted 'I love them' for her. Her computer skills are limited.

You sir, you get it.

Posts: 13746 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post