SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Just called the Police at the gas station in DFW during the "panic". Good call? You decide.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just called the Police at the gas station in DFW during the "panic". Good call? You decide. Login/Join 
JOIN, or DIE
posted
So there is a run on gas in the DFW area today. I filled up yesterday, almost every place today ran out. I was out this evening and saw a 7-11 that had some with a small line so I pulled in for 1/4-1/2 tank. I pump and notice the guy across the way with a whitr work pickup truck with the tool boxes on the side of the bed pumping.....but he's filling up 3-4 55 gallon rubbermaid type garbage cans with open tops in the bed of the truck. Gas station is overpowered with the fumes, you could smell it hundreds of feet away.

So I call the local police non-emergency line and the operator says he'll send someone out. I ask if it was against the law, he said he didn't know. I have a background in transportation and was certified on various hazmat along the way and remember from that and in general something like "not to be transported in unapproved containers". I give description, license plate, etc. I'm still on the phone with them when the first officer gets there and the dispatcher says he hears thr officer radioing for the fire department for a hazmat situation. I parked in another lot and two more police cars showed up along with a fire engine, so apparently they thought it was something worthy of response.

Now, I try to mind my own business and that has served me well for a long time but the fumes were so strong and it just looked like an explosion waiting to happen. I wouldnt put it past someone to light up a cigarette in the area either being a dumbass or not seeing/realizing what was going on....or any other item that could cause ignition. There was a ton of people there, probably a 10 car line on each entrance to the station along with all pumps full. It wasnt the fact that he was being an asshole by getting 150+ gallons of gas either. For me it was that selfishness and putting everyone there in danger, along with who knows on the roads or where he was going after. No idea what they are going to do but something tells me he just wasted hundreds of dollars on gas.

So was it a good call? I think so. You decide though.

Question:
Good call?

Choices:
Yes, good call. Explosion waiting to happen/unsafe
No, should have minded your own business

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I think I would have made my priority getting the heck away from him. That's enough gasolina to make one hell of a conflagration. Seriously, that's a potential hellacious mess.

If I had called the police, I wouldn't have stayed to see what happened. It's probably against the law, but I'd have to search for the statute. From a thousands feet away.

I've never seen 150 gallons of gas catch on fire...but I bet some of our mathematically inclined members would tell us that is more than a dozen sticks of dynamite worth of *boom*. Probably more than several dozen sticks of dynamite.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Good call. I don't want a nanny state, but that guy was doing something really idiotic that could have easily been a huge disaster.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good call. Either the gas would eat through the trash cans and spill all over the highway, or there wouldn't be a gas station left after it exploded.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
IE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...vVPdg&has_verified=1

NSFW, by the way. But funny as hell.

And another, because this guy really is funny as hell, and don't play with gasoline! Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuYiAhDanY8

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
If the professionals call in for the other professionals to determine if there is s hazmat situation then there probably is a hazmat situation.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5965 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
What did home slice think he was going to do with 150 gallons of gas in open tubs? Can't store it inside anything so let it sit outside and catch the rain?

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BRL:
What did home slice think he was going to do with 150 gallons of gas in open tubs? Can't store it inside anything so let it sit outside and catch the rain?

That's exactly what I was wondering. What a dumbass.

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
This gas run stuff here has been freakin absurd. I drove past a shell station this morning that on any given day as 1, maybe 2 cars at it. Well today there was a line 60 deep that overflowed onto a main FM road.

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
That guy was an idiot. Any spark, even from static electricity or a cell phone, could have caused an explosion in that cloud of fumes. There are signs warning about that on the pumps. Chongo's advice to get away from there was good. Upwind.

Then call.

Posts: 26915 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
To add,

I noticed the smell immediately upon exiting my vehicle at the pump. Started pumping and was almost done when I saw what was going on. Drove past him on the way out and got the plate and then made the call from an adjacent parking lot/strip mall probably 3 football fields away but had a clear line of sight. Not to be overly dramatic but it was one of those times in your life where you realize that one wrong move by anyone around you and its over.

As to the question of what was he going to do with it? No idea. Didnt see lids but maybe he had them...not that they would make a difference. Maybe a landscaping type guy with equipment to run? Filling up any large container he had for personal/work vehicle use because of "panic"? I have no idea. I do think it was wreckless, selfish and dangerous.

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry...yall guys are trying to be serious and shit...but I'm over here with tears in my eyes watching Uncle Rob. Sorry...it's been a long day and I needed a few laughs, and don't play with gasoline!

One last one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-qaC3NJ5ww

-JALLEN

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
The 150 gallons of gas isn't a big deal. If you could magically get rid of the fumes and try to light the surface of the fuel on fire you probably would have a hard time getting it lit and it wouldn't be a big deal. The problem is that you can't magically get rid of the fumes and they are scary dangerous.

Two gas stories, both from when I was a teenager:

My mom's hairdresser's husband was killed by the explosion when he dropped an empty fuel tank that had been out of whatever vehicle it was from for more than six years. It it the concrete floor of the barn he was working in, blew up, and killed him.

I was welding some brackets to hold oxyacetylene tanks on an old P&H arc welder (run by a flathead Ford industrial six) when as I reached around to weld the back side of a joint there was a flash. Thinking WTF, I pulled back and peeled my helmet off to see what was going on. Imagine my surprise upon seeing gasoline pissing out of a small hole about halfway up the side of the gas tank, on fire. A quick swat with the welding glove put out the fire, then I took the glove off, covered the hole with my finger and figured out what to do. A video of me stretching to shut off the welder and get a five gallon bucket to catch the gas would probably have been humorous though it didn't seem very funny at the time. If the tank had been less full I might not be here. As it was, not a big deal: drain the fuel, give it a few days, go to Baskin Robbins and buy a big bag of dry ice, tape the hole, dump the dry ice in the filler neck, and when the CO2 is spilling out of the filler neck, take the oxyacetylene torch and weld the hole up. When back to working on the brackets, be darned sure that the tail of the rod doesn't stick out the back side of the holder. The things we sometimes get away with...

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
I would have called 911

Posts: 13021 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Good call to 911 I say. Garbage cans full of fuel is just plain stupid. Was probably taking them home to put in the garage where the gas water heater is.

I was told in the Training Academy that 1 inch of gasoline takes 5 minutes to burn. Doesn't matter if it's 3" across or 50'.
Never tested the theory though...hmmm...I wonder.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No brainer yes. Very dangerous.

I would have said something to him if I wasn't focused on getting gas myself but from what your saying I'd just said something to him to stop him and then left out of desire for self preservation.

What a silfish retard.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
"Against the law", not sure. But if it's in his pickup he's in some serious violation of DoT regs. Given the quantity, they could even slap him with a Hazmat transport without a license.

But why would the station owner sit by and not shut off the pumps? That idjit could have burnt the entire station down. I have been in stations where someone comes in with some bucket or bottle to get some gas, but the station shuts the pump down and they tell them to go get a proper container.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I see it as against the rules, dangerous, and very stupid. It would of been nice if the station attendant had caught it, but likely asking to much at a busy station.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
And he was filling the cans while they were off the ground and in his truck?

Yeah, this retard was lucky he didn't kill a lot of people.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
It's actually illegal here in GA to fill anything other than a regulated container.

Call the police!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34124 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post