SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    "I have stuff for sale" or "I'll soon have stuff for sale"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"I have stuff for sale" or "I'll soon have stuff for sale" Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Every time I turn around in this forum, I'm reading this kind of thing.

Now, take any behavior or type of comment you can think of, about which I have said "This is going to cease" or "there is a long-standing rule regarding this." Anything at all. Almost all members are compliant, but, from time to time, there will be a member who balks at my policies, rules or directives, A dust-up occurs, doesn't have to be a big one- something as simple as a bit of back-and-forth between the admin and a member not following the rules.

Then, I will see- in fairly short order- a flurry of the thing I cautioned a member about. Isn't that the damnedest thing? What are the odds of that happening even once, much less, repeatedly. I'm not saying this odd pattern happens lot, but I've seen it over the years.

Here's the latest: "I have stuff for sale" or "I'll soon have stuff for sale."

It's so odd. Recently, I've pinged a couple of members for this kind of thing and hey, whadda ya know- it seems to be happening every day. All of a sudden, every day. Sometimes, more than once in a given day. Isn't that something? Why, it's enough to make a sensible man believe in the supernatural. By actually enforcing longtime policies of this forum, I have upset the denizens of the spirit world.

Oh sure, there are other explanations, but I think we all agree that for it to be happening frequently all of a sudden, it's either purely coincidental, or I'm being trolled by ghosts.

For those unaware, there is no sales activity allowed in this forum outside of the Classifieds section. This means not only that no ads will be allowed outside of Classifeds. This means also that you shouldn't even mention you have anything for sale, in a thread outside of Classifieds. Not one syllable about it. Why? Because saying "I have something for sale" is the same as placing an actual ad. The same goes for "I will have stuff for sale." You have something you wish to sell? Place it in Classifieds. Until you're ready to place your ad, keep it to yourself. Furthermore, there are no price checks allowed in this forum, because asking for the market value of an item is a clear indication you are trying sell that item. Price checks are already deleted on sight and have been for a long time.

Ever wonder why judges have long said "Ignorance of the law is no excuse"? If they didn't take this approach, we'd have people skating from conviction any time the person charged with a crime said "I was not aware."

The same goes in this forum, and since we've had the mysterious uptick in the behavior in question, here's what I'm going to do: beginning tomorrow, 8/30, any post I see which mentions items for sale outside of Classifieds will be deleted on sight, no exceptions. New member, old member, frequent or infrequent member- doesn't matter. Context, wording of the post, circumstance, a desire to do another member a favor- doesn't matter. No exceptions. Other than the thread you're now reading, and the two mouse clicks it takes me to remove such posts, I'm not going to lift a finger. I'm not going to explain or comment in any way. I won't respond to questions from anyone who has such a post deleted. Perhaps some member will step in and tell you how things are, but it won't be me.

And, gentlemen, I don't give a shit what anyone thinks about this. I don't care if they like my approach to address this issue, or the policy in question. This stuff is going to stop, that's all. This policy has been in place in this forum for many years. If you don't frequent this forum often enough to have a feel for the place, then what are you doing selling anything here? Whether or not I'm being trolled, or it really is just a remarkable coincidence, or members are truly unaware of the policy, this new approach will take care of the issue.

Before anyone wants to jump in and explain to me about why they violated this policy, let me tell you - there's no need. I am not accusing anyone in particular. I am saying it's quite odd to suddenly have all these occurrences, so rather than trying to figure it out, I'm going to take the blanket approach.

The overwhelming majority of posting members in this forum adhere to my rules, so, chances are, none of this applies to you, and I am certain some members who violate this policy do so because they just aren't aware of it. OK, got it. Again, I'm not going to try to sort out the motivation behind it. I'm going to remove those posts and go about my business. You may say I'm being unreasonable, and that may be so. Doesn't matter. Thanks for listening.

Posts: 107651 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Understood before and understand now!

Posts: 18040 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Thanks for running a tight ship.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11293 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I am not sure if my thread was one of the offending posts. If so, I apologize and already deleted those posts to save you the trouble. Well, I deleted it as much as I could. Is a post asking what the members think an item is worth in this ridiculous market ok as long as it is not in any way alluding to selling an item outside the classifies section?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21118 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
As I said, this is unnecessary. I'm not getting into who I'm referring to. No explanations required or desired.

Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
(snip) Is a post asking what the members think an item is worth in this ridiculous market ok as long as it is not in any way alluding to selling an item outside the classifies section?

quote:
Furthermore, there are no price checks allowed in this forum, because asking for the market value of an item is a clear indication you are trying sell that item. Price checks are already deleted on sight and have been for a long time.

Seems pretty clear to me...

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have upset the denizens of the spirit world.

This made me think INSTANTLY of a Christmas Carol…

And then, sat Para and observed Legal Beagle in fake NODS, knockoff Wish plate carrier, tactical shorts, and boots; Chinese-made mag pouches bristling like the hair upon his head. The sling he drew was clasped about his middle. It was long and wound about him like a tail; and it was made (for Para observed it closely) of many more items of kydex and velcro and dubious utility. His body was transparent; so that Para, observing him, and looking through him, and recognized much of it to be absolute garbage made for airsofters.

“Bro, I might have some of this stuff for sal..”

He then sat bolt upright, cried out “BEGONE SPIRIT AND TROUBLE ME NO MORE!!” And the thread was deleted and Para felt light as a feather, enjoying at last the peace of knowing that no meddlesome specter could trouble him in the forums.

Big Grin

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
LB, that was great, Big Grin

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I have seen posts that say something like "I am thinking about buying a <whatever>. I found a guy who is selling one for <price>. Is this a good deal, or should I pass?"

Is this type of post verboten? Or if allowed, in which section should it be posted?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30702 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
No, that's not allowed. Deleted on sight

posted Hide Post
I love it!

Posts: 194 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Vety good, Legal Beagle. Smile

Normally, I would award you a CUT for your creativity, but you've been here more then ten years, so you qualify for one anyway, if you want it. A custom user tite is the blurb below your usual name which says 'member'

Yo can choose a short user title if you wish.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Price checking seems like fishing to me.

You don't have to learn how to code to search the net for whatever item you have or want to get.

Posts: 1482 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I agree, but many of the price checks we see are most likely legitimate. The one way to be certain is to just nuke all of them.

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I probably don’t need to say it, but this is why it’s wise to read every post by Parabellum you see.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29713 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
MAGA
Picture of D_Steve
posted Hide Post
"The one way to be certain is to just nuke all of them"

"Let's Go Brandon"

Posts: 1537 | Location: Indiana | Registered: July 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
WTS: one BTT, used only to bump threads. No box.

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
^^^ No box!?!? But you do have the box, somewhere. C'mon, you've got it, right?
Test target? How many mags are included? Pics?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24144 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
quote:
believe in the supernatural

I never knew it existed here!!? LOL

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got it. Just looking for an insurance valuation. Completed auction on various sites I thought were were too old for current market conditions. Not looking to break any rules. Thanks for the heads-up.

Posts: 128 | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post