SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Comets? Nuclear War? Meh! Earth's inner core may have stopped turning and could go into reverse!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Comets? Nuclear War? Meh! Earth's inner core may have stopped turning and could go into reverse! Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
https://www.accuweather.com/en...pped-turning/1473769
Earth's inner core may have stopped turning and could go into reverse!

Here's some of the text so you don't have to click on the link:

However, the speed of this rotation, and whether it varies, is debated, said Hrvoje Tkalcic, a geophysicist at the Australian National University, who was not involved in the study,

"The inner core doesn't come to a full stop," he said. The study's finding, he said, "means that the inner core is now more in sync with the rest of the planet than a decade ago when it was spinning a bit faster."

Earth's inner core may have stopped turning and could go into reverse, study suggests
Scientists suggest a small imbalance in the electromagnetic and gravitational forces could slow and even reverse the core's rotation as part of a seven-decade cycle.
By Lianne Kolirin, CNN, Published Jan 25, 2023 2:42 PM EST | Updated Jan 26, 2023 1:21 PM EST

"The Earth is formed of the crust, the mantle and the inner and outer cores. The solid inner core is situated about 3,200 miles below the Earth's crust and is separated from the semi-solid mantle by the liquid outer core, which allows the inner core to rotate at a different speed from the rotation of the Earth itself.

With a radius of almost 2,200 miles, Earth's core is about the size of Mars. It consists mostly of iron and nickel, and contains about about one-third of Earth's mass.

In research published in the journal Nature Geoscience on Monday, Yi Yang, associate research scientist at Peking University, and Xiaodong Song, Peking University chair professor, studied seismic waves from earthquakes that have passed through the Earth's inner core along similar paths since the 1960s to infer how fast the inner core is spinning.

What they found was unexpected, they said. Since 2009, seismic records, which previously changed over time, showed little difference. This, they said, suggested that the inner core rotation had paused.

"We show surprising observations that indicate the inner core has nearly ceased its rotation in the recent decade and may be experiencing a turning-back," they wrote in the study."
"Nothing cataclysmic is happening," he added.

But let me tell you about Goldline precious metals and coins.... Wink

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I thought it was pretty commonly believed that the continents have squished together and pulled apart many times. My guess would have been that whatever they float on changed directions over time.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Meh............they covered this 20 years ago.............
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0298814/

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4577 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
And these hypothesis will be stated as fact until the next egghead has a hypothesis. They have as much certainty that the core is turning or stopped as they do as to whether it's made of nickle, or hollow and has elves in it. They lost me at brontosaurus, and global warming from cow farts.

Half kidding really. I just hate when theories are stated so much so as fact.

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
When a so-called scientific article says “may have” I stop right there.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
GLOBAL CRISIS CLIMATE CHANGE CARBON DIOXIDE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR GOD’S SAKE!

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
We are doomed...

we are all going to die... that is the one simple fact. I hope to go in my sleep like my grandfather not like the other folks in his car screaming in terror.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
There are people in high places trying to figure out a way to make money on this as we speak.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15579 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
THE COWS KEEP BURPING AND FARTING METHANE GAS. WHAT DID YOU EXPECT WOULD HAPPEN? IT’S THE PROVEN SCIENCE OF GLOBAL WAR… CLIMATE CHANGE! DID YOU NOT JUST SEE AL GORE MELTDOWN?

Posts: 2959 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
The problem is when the Russians tried to dig a hole to the core they hit hell first. They got scared and ran away. If they weren’t such pussies they could have just used a stick to keep it spinning properly.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12437 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Need some unobtainium.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Based on the little I’ve read about the change in the core’s speed and possible direction, it doesn’t seem to be a concern to those who actually know something about all that.

On the other hand, though, if we want something to be concerned about, I’ve also read that the reversal of the magnetic poles that the Earth experiences (which might be related to the core’s rotation) is overdue. Not only would that mess up the calibration of my compasses, it could affect the protection the magnetic field provides against cosmic radiation and charged solar particles. It’s believed that prior to a full reversal the field becomes much weaker or disappears entirely. If you don’t like wearing masks to ward off disease, how about artificial methods to protect against rays and particles from space? And they laugh at my metal hat. Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Need some unobtainium.

Nah, vibranium, dude.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
as part of a seven-decade cycle...

Big Yawn

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
It might be time, the galactic reset button.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
Wait a minute. I think I've watched movies, or perhaps they were documentaries, that clearly show the earth's core has an ocean and dinosaurs. What's all this talk about it being all nickel and iron?

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8527 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
Meh, I prefer to freak people out by showing them how magnetic north has moved over the years:

https://sascommunities.github....netic_north_pole.htm

I tell them the Illuminati meet each year and play a game of twister to determine which direction they will move it.

- Bret

Posts: 2465 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I thought A. Gore had warned all them 4x4 rigs kicking into gear during extra icy dry seasons was the Root Cause of it all. Wink

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well no wonder Guam be tipping over.

Posts: 3596 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sadlerbw:
Meh, I prefer to freak people out by showing them how magnetic north has moved over the years:

That’s an interesting map. But I wonder if anyone finds significance in the fact that the distance of the yearly movement has increased markedly in recent times.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post