SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Favorite dystopian novel?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite dystopian novel? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
OK, clearly I'm slacking and have some reading to do!

Posts: 1731 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, most of those listed I would characterize as Apocolyptic not Dystopian...but Alas Babylon has already gotten two mentions so I will give it a third. And Earth Abides gets another shout out. So if we are going Apocolyptic there is always Fail Safe but I read Level Seven about the same time (early 80's/early teen years for me) as the other two and it always stayed with me.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
A Clockwork Orange

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
Not my favorite, but definitely dystopian:

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/papers_pdf/117717.pdf

Since 1984 and "Brave New World" were ruled out, I was going to suggest "The Audacity of Hope" or "Dreams from My Father", but you beat me to the punch. Smile He sure did his best to make his dystopian dreams come true.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by detroit192:
Hmmm, most of those listed I would characterize as Apocolyptic not Dystopian...but Alas Babylon has already gotten two mentions so I will give it a third. And Earth Abides gets another shout out.

^^^^^^^^
With our broad criteria and off the top of my head, I would add the following (I also agree with Alas Babylon and Earth Abides):

A Brave New World
Logan's Run;
Z for Zacharia;
Sixth Column;
Farnham's Freehold;
Revolt in 2100;
SM Stirling's Nantucket Series and Emberverse or Change series;
A Canticle for Leibowitz;
Donald McQuinn's Moondark trilogy;
John Christopher's Tripods trilogy and Sword of the Spirits (unofficial series name);
Kornbluth's Not This August; and
Terry Brooks' Word and Void trilogy.

Edited to add Animal Farm and of course 1984.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BB61,

Posts: 12575 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Several good ones so far.

I'll add "It Can't Happen Here".

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11463 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
A Clockwork Orange

A classic as well. I read Clockwork and 1984 in 1984 in an Honors English class while a freshman in college. It was an interesting class to say the least.

Posts: 12575 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
The Camp of the Saints; unarmed pitiable wretches of the Third World migrate through southern France and demolish Europe.

Level Seven, by Mordecai Roshwald. It is a work of science fiction about two nations that build 'doomsday machines' and deep deep underground shelters for the select few to outlast the radiation of nuclear war.

Contemporary Muslim Apocalyptic Literature, David Cook. Not really a novel but dystopic as the book outlines the doctrine for extirpating you, or your children, or grandchildren, or great- grandchildren.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5995 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
Catch 22 is among my favorites.

Posts: 7385 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I find it to be a book full of good ideas, but a terrible book to read. Rand is verbose, pedantic and repetitive in the extreme. Plus, her prose is about as exciting as cold oatmeal. She needed a strong editor and some writing talent.

Absolutely! I'm sorry to admit that I gave up on this classic, probably within the first 75 pages, because it was so difficult to follow.

Okay, so she's wordy - even I skimmed bits of the infamous speech towards the end (not identifying it clearly to avoid spoilers - but anyone who has read it knows the speech I'm talking about). BUT, difficult to follow? Especially near the beginning? I'm not sure I get that. If anything, she gives the reader too much information.

Still - there are excerpts that I always go back to. The rise and fall of Twentieth Century Motors is particularly good. Francisco's money speech, of course.

Anyway, read it. Don't watch the movies. They're crap.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16312 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
Kurt Vonnegut has a couple that qualify. "Player Piano" springs to mind. Depicts a society where automation has made most of humanity obsolete.

You also might want to read Vonnegut's short story titled "Harrison Bergeron". It features a character with THIS description:

--------------------------------------------
Diana Moon Glampers - The Handicapper General of the United States. Diana Moon Glampers is in charge of dumbing down and disabling those who are above average. It is her minions who enforce the handicap laws and create new hindrances for superior beings such as Harrison.
-------------------------------------------

If THAT doesn't strike you as a bit familiar you're not paying attention to modern trends. Most of Vonnegut's stuff was written in the 60s and the 70s and his foresight is nothing less than amazing.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:
I find it to be a book full of good ideas, but a terrible book to read. Rand is verbose, pedantic and repetitive in the extreme. Plus, her prose is about as exciting as cold oatmeal. She needed a strong editor and some writing talent.

Absolutely! I'm sorry to admit that I gave up on this classic, probably within the first 75 pages, because it was so difficult to follow.

Okay, so she's wordy - even I skimmed bits of the infamous speech towards the end (not identifying it clearly to avoid spoilers - but anyone who has read it knows the speech I'm talking about). BUT, difficult to follow? Especially near the beginning? I'm not sure I get that. If anything, she gives the reader too much information.

Still - there are excerpts that I always go back to. The rise and fall of Twentieth Century Motors is particularly good. Francisco's money speech, of course.

Anyway, read it. Don't watch the movies. They're crap.

-Rob

Definitely agree. Despite its flaws, the book has got some classic passages. In addition to Francisco's money speech, I particularly like Hank Rearden's trial. I have gone back and read that part several times.

Posts: 6566 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Das Kapital

Posts: 8879 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
We can't forget the books by our own billnchristy. The first of which is, The Last Gallon

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39222 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Several of Margaret Atwood's novels:

"The Handmaid's Tale"

"Oryx and Crake," "The Year of the Flood," and "MaddAdam."

Others, too. This is a common theme in Atwood's novels.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Wow. This forum is awesome. I was expecting a few recommendations that I hadn't heard of and this forum accomplished that and then some. You guys gave me a hell of a reading list!

I'll definitely be picking up Billnchristy's book along with many others mentioned in this thread.

Thank you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21220 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Dark Titan Journey" by Thomas A Watson. Story covers the journey from Atlanta to Idaho for a guy who is stranded by an EMP.

I'll add my endorsement for "Alas Babylon", "Earth Abides", "Lucifer's Hammer" and the Patriot series by John Wesley Rowles.

I've read the One Second and One Day novels but couldn't muster enough interest to read the final book in the series.

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 710 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MagnumU:
Neuromancer by William Gibson.

Not sure I'd classify it as dystopian, but it certainly is a damn good book. I like Gibson's stuff, but the Sprawl trilogy( Neuromancer, Count Zero, Mona Lisa Overdrive) may well be my favorite books. They're certainly high on the list.

You've got good taste.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by detroit192:
Hmmm, most of those listed I would characterize as Apocolyptic not Dystopian...but Alas Babylon has already gotten two mentions so I will give it a third. And Earth Abides gets another shout out. So if we are going Apocolyptic there is always Fail Safe but I read Level Seven about the same time (early 80's/early teen years for me) as the other two and it always stayed with me.

Amazing! Someone else has read Level 7. I read it as a teenager, and it has always stayed with me, too!

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I find it (Atlas Shrugged) to be a book full of good ideas, but a terrible book to read. Rand is verbose, pedantic and repetitive in the extreme. Plus, her prose is about as exciting as cold oatmeal. She needed a strong editor and some writing talent.

Again - good ideas, but a terrible novel.

That's almost exactly the way I felt. In fact, I would be a little more harsh. I simply couldn't finish the book.
I like Rand's philosophy when clearly stated, but simply couldn't "get it" from the book.

I liked Brave New World, because, if you think about it, it is not really "dystopian". You really can just go to Tahiti! No reason for anyone to have any unpleasantries in any way. Smile

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post