SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Favorite dystopian novel?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite dystopian novel? Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
I love the book 1984 and I'm getting ready to read Brave New World. What else is worth reading? What is your favorite dystopian novel?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21129 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Farenheit 451

Posts: 17152 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Atlas Shrugged.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16725 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One Second After, by William Forstchen. I think it qualifies as a dystopian novel.

Posts: 3956 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Atlas Shrugged.
absolutely this.

Posts: 8151 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
The Giver.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:
One Second After, by William Forstchen. I think it qualifies as a dystopian novel.

Read the other two as well. One Year After, & The Final Day.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5488 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I just finished People's Republic by Kurt Schlichter. It's about when the US is split into 2 separate independent states. One liberal and one conservative. It's a good read.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
quote:
Atlas Shrugged.
absolutely this.

As if it needed to be said.

Of course, if you haven't read it, you had better damned well get to it.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16273 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
A Canticle for Leibowitz

Posts: 32562 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
Tagging for future reference. After 34 years of HATING reading. I found that I could get 1984 for free on my Kindle. I could not put it down.

Currently reading The Adventures of Tom Sawyer to my boys when I put them down to sleep or nap. (They are 5 and 3).

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Atlas Shrugged.

By far the most accurate and the de facto predictor of the eventual fall of the USSR.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
The Death World Trilogy by Harry Harrison.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31485 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sock Eating Golden:
Tagging for future reference. After 34 years of HATING reading. I found that I could get 1984 for free on my Kindle. I could not put it down.

Currently reading The Adventures of Tom Sawyer to my boys when I put them down to sleep or nap. (They are 5 and 3).

good for you. One of my fondest memories as a small child was having my parents read to me every night before bed. We rarely watched TV in the evenings because I was always so excited to pick up where we left off the night before. I was reading at a high school level when I was 12, and still power through at least one book a week now (sometimes two), I'm certain both of those things go back to my parents reading to me at night.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Earth Abides.

Lucifer's Hammer.

One Second After.

The Road. (read the book then watch the movie)

Alas Babylon.

-------------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
"On the Beach" (Nevil Shute).

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9007 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
"On the Beach" (Nevil Shute).

It's a damned depressing book, but I couldn't put it down until I finished it. And I think the 1959 movie version is better than the 2000 version.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2543 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I've noticed that most dystopian novels are damned depressing. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9007 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
A Canticle for Leibowitz

It is good.

My pick is McCarthy's "The Road." Even the Pulitzer people agree.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
quote:
Atlas Shrugged.
absolutely this.

I find it to be a book full of good ideas, but a terrible book to read. Rand is verbose, pedantic and repetitive in the extreme. Plus, her prose is about as exciting as cold oatmeal. She needed a strong editor and some writing talent.

Again - good ideas, but a terrible novel.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post