SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sexy Sue A-26C Business Aircraft (Nose Art NSFW)
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Sexy Sue A-26C Business Aircraft (Nose Art NSFW) Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted

Posting this because the airplane was just at Cheyenne Airport and a local posted photos of it. As luck would have it, there's also this video.

Privately owned and used as a business aircraft, the owner obviously loves it and has preserved the radial engines. Stunningly beautiful--as is the nose art.

Posts: 13259 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Report This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a Harley. Potato potato potato.... Big Grin

Gorgeous airplane, and Sue is pretty easy on the eyes too.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Report This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
very cool way to get around

Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
They sound and look so amazing.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Report This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Funny how its flying but the props dont look as if they are turning.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Funny how its flying but the props dont look as if they are turning.

That's a function of the video frame rate, a stroboscope effect. You can also notice it in videos of motorcycles or bicycles with spoked wheels.

I'd almost forgotten how shallow the climb out slope was for prop planes after take-off.

Posts: 1571 | Location: SW PA | Registered: November 18, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine never looked that good! C.1956/7/8. USAFE

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Report This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Beautiful, but odd that the engines are not contra rotating. Must make low speed starboard Single engine handling interesting. Be curious to hear someone with knowledge explain?

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Report This Post
Picture of 81chop
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful airplane. In the beginning of the video when it was coming over the trees, I was just like WOW!

Anybody have production numbers and other stats on these planes? I don't remember seeing this one and would like to learn more about it.
Currently watching more videos.

Dave

Posts: 110 | Location: Central WI | Registered: March 22, 2015Report This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:
Beautiful, but odd that the engines are not contra rotating. Must make low speed starboard Single engine handling interesting. Be curious to hear someone with knowledge explain?
Pretty sure that the 26 never had CR props.

Thinking about it, only one military twin-engine comes to mind with CR props - the P38, but strangely, the props rotated in the wrong direction! Two "critical" engines, instead of the usual one.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I did a little further research myself. The owner, Peter Hambling, has dual British/American citizenship. His father was a RAF pilot who later worked for BOAC. The family moved to Seattle when Peter was 5 because his father served as a liaison between BOAC and Boeing.

Hambling and his business partner own Digital Control Inc. which designs electronic tracking systems for the kind of drills that allow companies to install fiber-optic cable, powerlines, sewer, water, or other utilities underground. He became a pilot at 16.

Posts: 13259 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I get to see and hear "SUE" all the time as she has a hanger in the city I work in. Smile

Posts: 1153 | Location: western, Washington | Registered: November 04, 2007Report This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Sweet looking old gal!

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Report This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Thinking about it, only one military twin-engine comes to mind with CR props - the P38, but strangely, the props rotated in the wrong direction! Two "critical" engines, instead of the usual one.

Thanks VTail - I'd thought a few military twins did F7f, Mosquito, P38 as you mention...but not sure just an assumption on my part from memory. Now I need to research a bit.

Beautiful aircraft - a few weeks ago picked up a signed diecast model of "Monie" an A26 that served in Korea - pilot RC Mikesh

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I also did a search to learn more about the Owner, Peter Hambling. He certainly seems to have several fascinating hobbies. According to Model Railroader magazine, he has one of the country's best scale model railroad layouts in his home basement. Over 4000 feet of track and in the third year of construction.

Very nice.

Posts: 282 | Location: Central PA | Registered: November 11, 2014Report This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I didn't notice that but I did notice the tip tanks. I don't think I ever saw a picture of one with them. Maybe the few that were used in SEA had seen them added.

A beautyful plane.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7256 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Report This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Sweet ride, for sure. And a Model Railroader to boot!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Report This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
There are some great A-26 flying scenes in one of my favorite movies, "Always"

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Report This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I've always wondered why you don't see this more often. It's not like the technology of the old warbirds isn't easy to duplicate, and the blueprints can all be had easily

Instead of buying a new gulf stream or something just contract someone to build you a brand new b-17, complete with all the modern amenities

It might not be as cost effective as a more modern jet, but anyone that could afford to do it isn't really concerned about that anyway

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Report This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The V-22 Osprey also has two CR props. And they also rotate in the "wrong" direction. I've always been puzzled by that. There must be a good reason, but I don't know what it could be.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8954 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Report This Post